Crow hunting with rifle?

Between me and my dad(GrizleyHunter) have plenty of guns that could be used for sniping. 22-250, 243WSSM, 7mm-08 and others. Either way I am just excited to get my .204 out and into some action.

as fun as it seems , in my area id be afraid to use any rifle up in the air .. heck even knowing my surroundings i still feel funny shooting squirrels with .22shorts ....

Originally Posted By: gooseras fun as it seems , in my area id be afraid to use any rifle up in the air .. heck even knowing my surroundings i still feel funny shooting squirrels with .22shorts ....

You definitely have to know the area and terrain, where houses are etc. By knowing directions that are safe, you can go about setting up a calling site or bait site if that's what you do in order to get the crows to hopefully land in the place you want them to.

Centerfires require more caution and consideration than rimfires.

A lot of crow sniping depends on where you live and the surroundings. Where I live there are mountains everywhere. There are also houses here and there, just knowing what direction to shoot is the main thing.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite pastimes.

Im putting together a rifle currently for this,,A customized Savage 17hmr.

Seems like this time of year they become less aggressive around here as far as coming in to calls.

I wanna see how far i can tag some with the hummer.

Popped popcorn...one of my favorite baits.

X

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Originally Posted By: gooseras fun as it seems , in my area id be afraid to use any rifle up in the air .. heck even knowing my surroundings i still feel funny shooting squirrels with .22shorts ....

You definitely have to know the area and terrain, where houses are etc. By knowing directions that are safe, you can go about setting up a calling site or bait site if that's what you do in order to get the crows to hopefully land in the place you want them to.

Centerfires require more caution and consideration than rimfires.

A lot of crow sniping depends on where you live and the surroundings. Where I live there are mountains everywhere. There are also houses here and there, just knowing what direction to shoot is the main thing.

Crows love to hang out in trees - in areas that are hilly, you can bait a tree in the valley and shoot down from a hill.

Quote:"... Anyone have any uses with the crows they shoot?"

Yup - use them as decoys to shoot more crows
wink.gif

I have been doing pretty good ice fishing this year, so I would put the guts out for bait, but my dad has already staken claim on them using them for coyote bait! Hes not sharing!

As far as shooting straight up,,i dont do that...im usually in a hardwood area,,and will not shoot without a backstop,,At least A tree in the background (or a bunch of em)to stop a bullet hit or miss.

I like it because their is no reason not to take the shot you want,,,no pressure.

If they keep flying they live...if they land they die.

Its like natural selection.

X

Originally Posted By: coyotex
If they keep flying they live...if they land they die.

Its like natural selection.
X

Ha Ha, I like that, thats funny.

You guys are making me jealous that your out shooting and killing crows. Im still trying to get my gun sighted in. Been too much wind to get a good zero.

I use either my Anschutz 17 HMR, or my Cooper 204. I'm having a custom built 17FB, to join the action. I love shooting crows with a rifle. The 204 really gets them, I split one in half at 136 yds, truly amazing.

Anyone who has never tried calling them in and shooting them with a rifle....Do it.

If done right...the action is fast and the targets are plenty.

Today alone i had at least 20 fliers/divers...9 total that landed and 2 kills/5 misses with a .22.

All in one hour set.

X

I like to use my foxpro and usually a decoy or three as well. ( my J.I.B with an avery flocked crow decoy as a topper. and a few standard decoys it the mix ) Like posted above you can chose your safe shooting direction if you think ahead a bit. I find that around here, the crows seem to always land in the tallest of trees of at least the ones on top of the ridge. A tall tree on an open field edge or such a vantage points as that. I usually start with a "crow fight" sound to get them coming in, and finish them to land with the "dying crow". just let them land and double-check the safety of the shot and let'er rip. if i get lucky enough to have one bounce around on the ground a bit, the better the setup. This morning i let tom wring out his .204 and he was 100%. i sat there about a hundred yards downwind doing the calling (runnung the remote) with my AR and never took a shot. it was more fun watching him work them over and the non-stop feathers drifting past me. pretty much just enjoyed a great succesful morning in the woods.
p.s. it's a good thing the taxidermist don't need these... (the .204 is pretty rough on them

IMG_7430.jpg

just for the record: all these were shot from the same setup. just keep calling.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1509530

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1745485

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1713194

http://www.crowbusters.com/begart1.htm

http://www.crowbusters.com/begart4.htm

Bob’s DVD was great. He sent it to me, and I think I have watched it 15 times. I haven’t watched a movie that many times. It also works great if I am getting ready for bed . He talks a lot about knowing your backdrop, and shooting in a safe direction, and isn’t afraid to publish his misses. I am building a 17hm2 for this use, and may do the same with a .22LR if I can get it quiet. Also thinking about the .204 for a crow gun, but without a place to make use of the extra range and power afforded, the air rifle, and rimfire will have to do.

Back