Coyotes in Iraq!?

Hey guys do you think sidewinders would be fur friendly
laugh.gif
haha. Thanks for your service dude. My buddys going over seas soon

~Bryan

When I was there our ROE's were a little more lenient and I was able to take a few of them they were a mangy looking critter up close but still fun to shoot. Those things were everywhere and were easy to spot with the thermals and then take em with a PEC2 and night vision never tried calling them but I bet a squeeker would work really well. I really wish I had that kind of equipment to hunt with here at home.

I'm down here in Basrah Iraq right now and have seen something like that. That was the first thing that came to my mind too, wondering how I could call that sucker in.

thumbup1.gif
Do they call them coyotes there or do they have a name in Iraqi? My wife's son is working out of Camp Liberty with 10 more months to go! He is able to use Skype frequently and is staying well, though his wife got a bit of a scare when the Unit called her with the news that two in his Unit had been killed by a road side bomb. At least, they did'nt come to her front door!

Good hunting!
thumbup1.gif

I was at Camp Liberty last year and we had quite a group of Jackals running around by our CHU's. We would see them mostly at night but once they had their offspring we would see them all the time (pups running around playing). The coolest animal I saw over there was actually an endangered cat that vector had live trapped, Called a Jungle Cat. The thing was huge. I spoke to the guy who trapped it, I guess because they are endangered that once they trapped it they were required to tag and release it away from camp. They caught the same animal about 2 weeks later in the same trap at the same location. We also had some mongoose living under one of our storage connexs. There were definitely some cool animals running around that place.

Jungle Cat
[img:left]http://
jungle_cat_10.jpg
[/img]    

Last edited:
My brother was in Iraq for 22 months he said he saw coyotes all the time but they were those jackals I'm sure he also showed me some pics of camel spiders man those things are huge and friggin ugly some of the ones he showed me were the size of a softball, they got huge teeth or pinchers whatever you want to call them, he said they chase you around trying to stay in your shadow to cool themselves. Watch out for those things man. best of luck and thankyou!!!!!

When I was there, it was a little easier to get away with, Those things have never heard a call and are not afraid so will come right in, just lip squeak or do a rabbit scream with your mouth, just try and cry like a baby, Your guys will think you’re nuts but you will get the last laugh when they are running into your lap.
One of my favorite things was to catch rats with a fishing pole, I had a little collapsible pole that My mom had sent me for my birthday, would tie a chink of jerky about 1 foot up line and then treble hook on end and just throw it in corner of hut and wait. Had lots of good laugh from all with that.

Here's some of my rat trapping that I have done here...unfortunately the big ones keep eluding me and since we are moving fobs, I will have to restart somewhere else.

The Trap...simple concept..counterweight (water bottle)the inside of 550 cord goes down to two broken thumb tacks where the loop is held in place by a toothpick...bait it put in front of the loop...rat runs through to get bait,knocks toothpick off and zip! Up they go!

DSCF0183.jpg

anotheronedown.jpg

Originally Posted By: WvYotehunter65SEND THAT MAN A FOXPRO ASAP hehehe

+1 Send a Fox Pro!!! I am sure there are some great native plants ie reeds or grass that can be used to make a call. I have called in crows, owls and hawks with a simple blade of grass and my hand. Give it a try!

I appreciate it...I was actually going to try and make one out of some pvc pipe (or carve one out of wood or use an empty shell casing) to try and fashion one. I am moving fobs here soon so I don't have a current APO address for my wife to send me a call so I'll think of something in the meantime.
I went out this morning (0400) towards our perimeter and heard all sorts of dogs yipping and calling. So I imitated a crying baby for about a whopping 30 secs and the fence line in front of me opened up! Man, I was pumped! None, came through the fence though
frown.gif
but I couldn't shoot one anyways because I think that the Ugandans would have lit me up!
Thanks for all of the well wishes though!

Originally Posted By: jinxed247Here's some of my rat trapping that I have done here...unfortunately the big ones keep eluding me and since we are moving fobs, I will have to restart somewhere else.

The Trap...simple concept..counterweight (water bottle)the inside of 550 cord goes down to two broken thumb tacks where the loop is held in place by a toothpick...bait it put in front of the loop...rat runs through to get bait,knocks toothpick off and zip! Up they go!

DSCF0183.jpg

anotheronedown.jpg
Way to much time on your hands my man, way to much time.

I saw two identical dogs like that in Afghanistan. I spotted both in the open mountain area with no one in sight. I forget the names for them our Terp used but they were in fact wild. I was also told there was large mountain cats there but I am not to sure if he was just pulling my leg.

Originally Posted By: RubenatorOriginally Posted By: jinxed247Here's some of my rat trapping that I have done here...unfortunately the big ones keep eluding me and since we are moving fobs, I will have to restart somewhere else.

DSCF0183.jpg

anotheronedown.jpg
Way to much time on your hands my man, way to much time.

Nah, just sick of waking up with rat turds on my chest and my "rat proof" boxes containing my food being torn open.

Originally Posted By: jinxed247Here's some of my rat trapping that I have done here...

That is excellent!!!

The "big ones"?! That one looks pretty big to me- how big do they get?

Back