Coyote rifle suggestions for my wife

Calgary

We are open to any brand or caliber that isn’t too heavy and doesn’t have too much kick. We live in hill country so most shots are 100 to 200 yards. Occasionally 250 yards max. She doesn’t want an AR style rifle. Something easy to carry and handle. A few of the guns on our list to review are the Weatherby Vanguard Camilla, Savage 11 Lady Hunter, Savage 110 Storm with Accufit, Tikka T3 Lite and T/C Venture Compact. But don’t get locked on these. We are open to anything that would fit a 90 lb woman. Suggested caliber is most important. The gun won’t be used for anything other than coyotes. Thanks for your help.

.223 Rem gets my vote too! Calgary the new Tikka T3x lite compact has a 12 1/2 inch length of pull plus comes with a 1 inch spacer to also make a13 1/2 pull. You can also purchase different grip angles for it. 20 inch barrel I believe.

Thanks for the Tikka tip. I didn't know they had redesigned them to the T3x. That Lite model with the adjustable cheek pad and LOP is interesting. It should fit her well with those adjustments.

Originally Posted By: McGraw.223 Rem gets my vote too! Calgary the new Tikka T3x lite compact has a 12 1/2 inch length of pull plus comes with a 1 inch spacer to also make a13 1/2 pull. You can also purchase different grip angles for it. 20 inch barrel I believe.
My choice too and the grip mod is nice.
Another newer addition is the Sauer 100, I think a 10 year warranty too. I have a Sauer and it is really nice.

AR in .223 Low recoil, light weight, plenty of ammo (even in VMax type) and they are cheap now $450-550 range. Put a 3X or 4X AR scope on it and kapow dead yotes everywhere.

Tom

Originally Posted By: Calgary She doesn’t want an AR style rifle. Something easy to carry and handle.

The Tikka in 223 would be my choice.

The Howa mini action is pretty good for smaller statured shooters. My nephews enjoy shooting the .223 I picked up a couple years back. Some options are available on stock colors and barrel length and weight. They also can typically be had at an attractive price point. Of the cartridges it is chambered in the 223 would probably be best for your stated purpose. If there is the off chance it would be used on bigger critters 6.5 grendel and 7.62x39 are also options.

Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerSounds like she needs to go to the gun shop and try some guns on.

Absolutely, once she finds the rifle style and fit the cartridge decision can be made.

Originally Posted By: CalgaryBowhunt, what advantages does a 22-250 have over a 223 at 100 to 250 yards?

The 22-250 is flatter shooting and it has more knock down power.

If you have shops with good used rifles, try to find a .222 Rem. They don’t come any more friendlier to shoot. An old Rem 600 Mohawk has something like a 16 barrel and I think their lop was only 12 1/2 inches. If you want her to love you forever, buy her a SAKO L-461 vixen and have the stock cut and recoil padded to fit.

Originally Posted By: CalgaryBowhunt, what advantages does a 22-250 have over a 223 at 100 to 250 yards?

Not enough to matter. On average 10% better muzzle velocity, same bullet.

Back