Coyote hunting in Maine...

https://ibb.co/nog8Ub got this one yesterday and another a week ago, but no pic of that one this 34.6 lb male came in with another that I didn't get a shot at. they came in to 3 or4 different howls spaced out then I went to pup in distress and that's when they came boiling in and crossing the road, then this guy came down the road toward me, stopped and started back away from me but stopped and turned broadside at 223 yds, dropped him right there. the old savage did it's job.
don

Last edited:
1st one of 2018 a male 37 lbs
this is where I found him, came in to howls and pup dis. my 1st in quite a while, it was cool

Last edited:
got this one this AM came out after 2 lone howls. he weighed 36.2 lbs. I sat for 2 hours before he showed up at 153 yds and dropped right there. then I sat for 1 more hour. sure was a great morning

Last edited:
I sat silent for an hour and a half then did 2 coyote lone howls spaced about 15-20 mins apart. he appeared 10 or so mins after that. It's so hard to remember the exact timing, I do get slightly excited. it's important not to over call. every setup is different and a lot of times I just do what pops into my head

Originally Posted By: masshunterThanks, I'm trying to sit longer, just never called one in howling so I start to lose confidence in vocals.

Really? 98% of my success is due to vocals. I haven't had much luck at all using prey distress except on fox and bobcats. Pretty sure i've only called one coyote while a prey distress sound was on, but that was after I played vocals. I'm always starting my stand with a howl(s) unless i'm targeting a cat or fox.

finally got another after 31 setups, came in to lip squeaks and then left and came back to pup distress, it was very cool, can't make the picture thing work

Last edited:
Congrats Don !!! I haven't been out much but looking forward to more time hunting soon, I hope. Persistence is the name of the game !

Don Congrats on your Kills---Great looking Coyotes sure like the reddish ones. We have a black one around now and than but I don't ever remember seeing light Reddish colored one.-Did you wright articles for FFG magazine on Trapping?? I trapped since I was a kid and I'm 71 now and your name really rings a Bell
smile.gif

SVB, no I never wrote anything for FFG, those red coyotes are fairly common here as are the blond ones. most of my life has been very serious fishing till I got too old, now I go sit in the woods and call coyotes, and i'm hooked bad
don

Back