Coyote hearing ability

Crapshoot has contributed more to this board than you will ever know b204.

You stated that you has heard this somewhere. All these guys were wanting to know is were you heard this, in other words back up your claim.

Theres no need for you to stir any pot or to be sarcastic. I know your history here and other boards all to well. If you think we need to have a little offline chat, let me know.

Now I'm confused as ever. A statement posted as

Quote:
coyotes can listen to 10 noises at one and process each noise by themselves.

Link: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...rt=18&vc=1
18th page, 2nd post from the top.

looks like it was posted as fact since there were no qualifiers. I also have to wonder why we as predator callers have to even care if they can process "10" sounds at once. As a predator caller I'm trying to convince an animal to respond to the sound (one) that I'm playing at the time while trying to silence my own sounds such as safety, moving, etc.

Quote:
Crapshoot has contributed more to this board than you will ever know b204.

You stated that you has heard this somewhere. All these guys were wanting to know is were you heard this, in other words back up your claim.

Theres no need for you to stir any pot or to be sarcastic. I know your history here and other boards all to well. If you think we need to have a little offline chat, let me know.

sure, you can PM me. It should be interesting.

All that "true to life" stuff that Bill espouses sounds good in theory (and I own a WT too), but he doesn't provide any references or links at all. He doesn't provide anything to back up his statements.

In the real world, I and countless others have called in coyotes with a snowshoe hare sound here in AZ where they've obviously never heard one before, called them in with hand calls that I know don't sound like anything in nature (at least with me blowing them), and called them with ancient JS record players that are more hiss than distress sound.

I've heard credible stories of coyotes coming to everything from canoes rubbing branches to squeaking doors.

Didn't Gerry Blair call one in with a kazoo or something?

Interesting question from a pure curiosity standpoint, but I don't think it really matters how many sounds they can process at once, they come to a variety of them, real and artificial.

Years ago while I was attending an Animal Damage Control Conference in Rapid City, SD, a speaker used the following quote:

"One day a feather fell from the sky, an eagle saw it fall, a deer heard it fall, and a bear later smelled it. But only the coyote saw, heard and smelled that feather all at the same time. Coyotes can locate the direction of a sound to within one degree at any distance from which the coyote can hear it."

At one mile, the coyote knows where the sound is coming from to within 90 feet. At 100 yards, a coyote can pinpoint the sound to within five feet. Sorry, but I will have to find my source for this info. I just wanted to share these quotes.

Steve

Dakota Coyote Howler and Coyote Calling

Two Winter snowfly's ago. I spotted one balled-up, a tad[100yrds or so] over the 1/2 mile fenceline. Snow was pretty quiet.

I stalked out Northbound to the 1/2 mile fence. I set-up SouEast of this coyote a tad over 1/4 mile away. Wind rippin hard around 15-20mph straight from the
North.

I set my mini-ecaller to my South 75' or so. I wanted to draw this coyote to the South, through the 1/2 mile fenceline & into a wide open valley to my West.

I commenced to call, adding some open reed along with the e-caller. I'm panning slowly 180, looking for my target. 10 minutes or so go's by. This coyote, swung NorEast of me, way out there. Coyote was loping & looking towards my location. But was quartering away.

I gave a quick "lip-smack"[throat was dry from the wind], coyote slammed on the brakes. I took my shot, missed.

Point being, coyote heard my lip-smack while loping from afar.

Quote:
All that "true to life" stuff that Bill espouses sounds good in theory (and I own a WT too), but he doesn't provide any references or links at all. He doesn't provide anything to back up his statements.

In the real world, I and countless others have called in coyotes with a snowshoe hare sound here in AZ where they've obviously never heard one before, called them in with hand calls that I know don't sound like anything in nature (at least with me blowing them), and called them with ancient JS record players that are more hiss than distress sound.

I've heard credible stories of coyotes coming to everything from canoes rubbing branches to squeaking doors.

Didn't Gerry Blair call one in with a kazoo or something?

Interesting question from a pure curiosity standpoint, but I don't think it really matters how many sounds they can process at once, they come to a variety of them, real and artificial.

Getting coyotes to come into a snowshoe sound where there are not snowshoes isn't a big mystery as far as I am concerned. I don't think that when they hear a distress they know what animal makes it so to speak. Rabbit, skunk, or any little animal I would think just sound like a little animal. Deer, sheep, or whatever might sound like a bigger animal to them. But not so much "what" animal.

No, it doesn't really matter when you are talking about calling them. The question is pure curiosity and I hoped it would be educational.

Though I'm wary of discussions with unseen minefields unrelated to the topic, this is interesting information. I have two anecdotes about coyote hearing, not quantifiable but pretty impressive to me.

One night I used lip squeak only to call four coyotes just about exactly a quarter mile. I heard them howling on a low ridge across a field from my house. I was outside on a snowless winter night with a spotlight and on impluse hunkered by a fence post and lip squeaked. They came in a lope to within 15 feet. They started beyond and above a fence that is a quarter mile from the fence line I sat on. I can do a fairly loud lip squeak but to hear it at a quarter mile is impressive.

Bow hunting in Southern California, in what is probably now a housing tract near Casitas, I hid in a bush atop a low ridge with the rising sun behind me and blew quietly on a Weems All Call jack rabbit. Within seconds of my first note I saw a pair of coyotes at least a half mile away down a long broad valley start racing toward me, so I stopped all sound. The low angle sun lit them like a spotlight. My philosophy has been to call the minimum needed, and not to hand call any more as long as an animal is coming my way.

That pair of coyotes made two turns of direction as they came up the ridge and just when I thought that they had missed me and didn't know where the sound came from they turned and came toward the exact bush I was sitting under and they were looking directly at me. They seemed to know within a foot or two where the sound came from, at half a mile on a still morning. 16 foot shot that could have been closer had I waited. I realized later that they had seemed to bypass me only because they went to the easiest trail/slot in the brush to access my exact bush. They knew exactly where they were going all the way.

They can hear awfully well, and they can pinpoint the source, just to ditto what several have said here. Their nose ain't bad either, but that's another topic.

Okanagan,

Your experience doesn't surprise me.

Last Winter I spoke of "Wolf Woman" in a thread. [BTW, she still hasn't sent me any pics, after 3 phone calls] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. She told me her pack would communicate with another pack, roughly 8-9 miles away as the crow flys, some nights & early pm.

Personally, I believe coyotes hear just as well as wolve's. No doubt, many coyote hunters are busted early on, during their walk into a section to call in coyote country. Explains, why some hunters don't call one in. You've been had, already.
---------------
Our German Shepherd[wife's dog]. Could hear my wife's car
come down the highway from afar. From inside our house with the windows closed. Wife would pull into the drive, 30 seconds or so later. At first I thought her dog was reacting to a fixed time, she would come home. But her dog proved to me, it didn't matter, what time. Remarkable.

Last edited:
Quote:
Our German Shepherd[wife's dog]. Could hear my wife's car
come down the highway from afar. From inside our house with the windows closed. Wife would pull into the drive, 30 seconds or so later. At first I thought her dog was reacting to a fixed time, she would come home. But her dog proved to me, it didn't matter, what time. Remarkable.

It is just incredible how far and how well animals hear.

Kirby, your German shepherd nudges me into even further off of coyotes: I was in Northern B.C. hunting after being dropped by a float plane way back in wilderness, and was watching several cow moose scattered in broad swampy meadows near a river. Suddenly one of the moose jerked her head up and stared down the valley, listening intently. All of the other moose did the same, then one by one they all trotted into the timber. I watched one cow with a calf hide just in the edge so that with binoculars I could see her nose but only because I knew where to look. She stood still, looking out. Curious behaviour.

Nearly ten minutes later, (wish I'd timed it exactly) I first heard the distant whine of a jet boat. The river serpentined and I listened to the boat grow loud and fade several times for 15 minutes before it came past where I was hidden. A hunter with a rifle in hands stood by the driver, scanning the river banks and meadows. The moose whose nose I could still see and I watched them go past.

And yes, I tend to hide when I'm in wild country and hear a boat or vehicle coming. Never analyzed why.

Okanagan,

Something else, not specifically realted to this thread. But, along the line of canine abilities.

Some yrs back, this same dog. Repeatidly kept putting/resting his nose on my wife, in one small focal spot. Et staring my wife in the eye. We thought, odd. Some time later, my wife had cancer in the "exact" spot.

A couple yrs later, he started doing this same behavior again. On her other side. Eventually a tiney lump, the size of a pencil eraser developed. Biopsy, cancer. Her beloved dog, died last yr. Was a sad day.

Kirby,
Wow! Now that is something researchers should develop. If that is an ability dogs have for some or all cancers, then a good dog trainer could work with a cancer hospital and easily train a dog to detect it.

Glad your wife is OK.

Yup, some canines have remarkable nose's. This German Shepherd could also run a human track. As we often would go out in a large park, & play [hide-n-seek]. Wife's dog would run her track, like a trailhound. He[dog], would initially "huff" the beginning of her track, then take off loping on the down-wind side of her path. He always found her hiding.

Back to hearing ability; It's been quite obvious to me over the yrs. A Red Fox compared to a coyote. Lacks remarkably in their hearing ability comparison.

I've crawled up on many Red's as compared to coyotes. These hunts were on all kinds of snow cover/loudness. One Red Fox hunt that sticks out. There was a thick layer of ice on packed snow. I got to within[after stalking in 3/8 mile]. edit; Within 75[yrds] of a balled-up Red.

The last 100yrds or so, I belly crawled. I believe I could've even got closer, but took the [shotgun]shot from there. A coyote, that would've never happened on crust ice.

It would be very interesting[to me anyway]. Of a clinical study of the difference between the two canines.

Last edited:
I don't believe. If a caller sounds off with call, a 1/4 mile away from a spotted coyote. That coyote isn't going to hear it. No doubt some coyotes are not interested & or indifferent.

Whereas, a person could come to a false conclusion, if this 1/4 mile coyote[even in high winds] doesn't turn it's head or react to that call noise. A person sees this [non]reaction a few times from a coyote. Would tend to lead them astray. As to coyote hearing ability, high wind or not.

Back