Coyote bedding areas

1 Go to tinypic.com on your phone and then to (select file)
2 got to your photo library then select the picture you want
3 next select (upload now)
4 after it uploads, cut then paste the (for message boards) Img code to your post.

Now let's talk about how you killed these coyotes. I suspect you've slightly tweaked yout "call your way in" strategy

OK ok, I had to come back...bored at work, lol. Not a troll, that took about 3 minutes to find, copy and paste. I never would have put in the effort had you not been a turd about me disagreeing with your strategy in the first place. But it's all good and we are all on the same team, I was honestly hoping to learn something and possibly help out. Taking time to give more info, write up, and pics does help others to learn from you and gives you credibility..which is lacking at this point. Just being honest and blunt, no offense intended.

I love to see pics and glean info from guys in other areas, especially in the East. Good luck once again and when you do find some free time please let us know what's working for you to kill 4 in a couple days, that is an exceptional accomplishment in the East and especially the North East.

I honestly would do a full right up if I can get pics on here , I'll look into it.
This isn't my first rodeo, and bedding areas isn't my only strategy on killing coyotes.
I've killed plenty , just thought it was an interesting find be a use usually I don't find actual beds and places they've been bedding over time.
My thoughts on bedding areas is they like it thick wether it be swamp or a grown up clear cut.
Of the 4 I killed the other day 2 were in swamps and 2 were in cuts. All were near food sources , wether it be apple trees , farm or a decent rabbit population. Right now they're hungry and horny here and holding close to food as they can't take deer as week because of how little snow we have for the time of year.
I'll try to get a write up with pics this week if I can find time to sit down and write it up.
I'll share a link on here if I do.

Originally Posted By: swampwalker1 Go to tinypic.com on your phone and then to (select file)
2 got to your photo library then select the picture you want
3 next select (upload now)
4 after it uploads, cut then paste the (for message boards) Img code to your post.

Now let's talk about how you killed these coyotes. I suspect you've slightly tweaked yout "call your way in" strategy

Thanks for the tip.
I can see where you're going with this and think somewhere you got confused.
That method was for that specific area because of the fact they wonder the property where they do and the fact I've killed about 10 there over the year all being in fields and none being in the woods. I haven't only hunted that spot once since but have a camera on an area in the feild where they frequent , I'll be checking it soon.
The 4 from this weekend were from a different area with feilds and openings that are near the thick cover I suspected they were.
The first female I called on the outskirts from a swamp and didn't come in until around the 20 minute mark. She was either further than I thought away or came in real slow.
The big male was shot near where a cow went down a few weeks ago but they were hanging around probably hoping for another meal. I setup where I ylthoughted they'd come and in a minute or 2 had one walk in real easy and watch for a few minutes , long story short I missed a chip shot. Hit pup in distress and he's starting to work his way back through the swamp and 2 opened up behind me in the feild and came out of another cut.
Dumped the big male and winged the female running at 200 yards.
Next female was off another cut where I followed some tracks through a few feilds and into the cut. She was coming in hot in under a minute and I rolled here into the decoy.
Next male was in a back feild on the edge of some thick cover where I noticed where a few had been frequenting a few apple trees and he was there in less than 5 minutes and I let the call run after the shot and had another bark at me for 3o minutes .
We played cat and mouse until I decided to take the call in the thick stuff with me and finally get a glimpse of him and took a hail Mary through some brush at 50 yards and the bullet never got through.

Ok sounds good, thanks. I see somewhat of a similar pattern here in terms of where to find them consistently...core areas will be in a clearcut or pine thicket, they will raise [beeep] talking to you but don't like to come out of it. In most of my spots they will come from or be in the same area every time (being within a 100-200 yard core area zone). Find a spot like that with a hardwood strip and/or creek adjacent to it and you are on to something. They use the hardwood strips to move from one block to the next. Find a field with brush and broom straw around the edges close to the hardwood strip and/or the thicket..set up in the field at night and play a low volume distress..get ready for quick action. (I do hunt primarily at night). It's also similar because this area is primarily swamps, standing pines, and pines thickets and briars so dang thick that you can't even walk through...I just don't have any major elevation to contend with. While it makes the walking easier, the lack of elevation has it's own challenges. It makes it harder to find funnels and pinch points, and nearly every field or any open area is significantly crowned for drainage. Setting up in fields can be tough because you can't usually see at ground level 100 yards across if the field is even that big. Forget seeing downwind, it's either crowned or so thick you can't see anyway. Honing in on the core areas and learning exactly where the coyote "should" be for that particular set up is key, setting up in the "spot on the spot" is critical for getting a shot versus getting busted or just seeing a fly by. I don't want to set up in a field and sit back thinking it might come from anywhere and hope to get a shot. Putting the call in the middle of the field and hoping they come to it is low percentage. I want to set up for the exact spot where he comes into the field...whether it's strait to the call or comes to the edge and stands to look. If they come all the way to the call is easier, but if they pop out and stand there and you aren't in the right spot to shoot then its a lost opportunity. I generally get a 3 to 5 second window to detect, ID and shoot, which isn't much time for a poor setup. Put yourself in the kill zone consistently from spot to spot and percentages go up. I do think I occasionally call in a transient or roaming coyote, but most often the ones that do show are close to a core area and more comfortable committing to the call. That's where scouting and set up come into play as the major factor in a kill versus brand of call, clothing, gun, bullets, cover scent, 17 HMR, and the myriad of other topics that come up on here about how to kill coyotes. If you can't find them, get close to them and don't set up right then the rest of it is just spending time outdoors.

Sorry for the book...slow day at work...and no one around here to talk coyotes.

I don't go into an area without looking at it on Google earth.
I cover alot of ground and have quite a few empty sets.
One things has been constant and that's that it's always thick somewhere nearby.

Agreed on thick areas. I joined the group..thanks for the add
smile.gif
The pics looked familiar and I remembered seeing that monster coyote in another prominent group...credit is given where credit is due and I am humble enough to admit that! Nice job.

We went and tried the spot last night that I started this thread about.
Usually I call my way in but with limited time and a 2 yr old we only did one stand. Instead of setuping up and working my way in we setup in the the feild near the swamp , where i was sure they usually bed in instead of where i usually setup the few different places in the 3 big feilds on the way in.
Last night I setup in the last feild thinking they'd be down in the swamp.
Put my son facing where we can because he's young and doesn't hold still well but he likes to go , we were most lung just there to have a quick setup and check the cam I had out.
We get 10 minutes in and he couldn't take it anymore and had to conduct an orchestra with all the sticks in front of him , I figured what the [beeep] I had a pretty good chance of them coming out of my side of the tree and I'd have them before they ever saw him ... not the case .
I look over and one is tearing across the feild where we walked in right in front of him watching him break every branch without arms length.
I took a couple pop shots at 175-200 with him running at full boar but no dice.
Shrimp was just happy to see some shooting and a yote.

Last edited:
That's awesome, my son is 4 and loves to go too. I hunt mostly at night so it's a little easier to hide him.

I hunted last night and man...I'm grumpy today, I have a [beeep] of a hard time hunting with other people. It was on a 1000 acre farm on a prison property and I have to take the farm manager when I go. He can't see the reticle in my night vision scope so I let him run my thermal and I just scanned with the handheld. He claimed to be a hunter so I figured he could do it and gave him a solid run down. 1st stand was a perfect setup, 10 seconds into kitten cries had one pop out in the corner at 80 yards. It gave him about 5 seconds, but didn't get a shot off. I gave it a little wait and switched sounds, 10 minutes it came out and was skirting the field edge at 100 yards. I waited till he got it in the scope, barked it to a stop and he whiffed broadside standing still. 3rd stand had one bouncing in and at 75 yards he goes "ok I see it" so loud it probably echoed, that coyote about lit the grass on fire getting out of there so fast. I need to talk to the warden again and see if I can hunt it solo or find another employee to go with me!

And I apologize for that making little to no sense.
My phone makes me look dumb and deleted half of what I posted so I tried to go back and fill in the blanks

I like having another shooting make the most out of opportunities but seldom can find anyone to get up in the am and that's when I do most of my hunting.

I do too, but just have a real hard time finding anyone that can keep their [beeep] together in the 3-5 second of window of detect, ID and shoot. If they do, they miss more than they hit. I like having a second person at night just for the safety factor..snakes, falls and dumb people. I was challenged last night by a resident next to the prison property, I won't say what species or race he was, but most likely spent some time ON the prison property himself. He was a total [beeep] and it could have easily gone the wrong way. I drive up on drunks in the ditch, people parked in my spots late at night doing dope and extra-martial activities. Sometimes it's entertaining and other times it gets kinda sketchy. The worst was a drunk dude that blamed me for him being in the ditch AFTER I stopped to help. He got loud and ignorant, made some threats, my partner got back in the truck with the guns and he was right up in my truck door.

Ya. I hunt at night a few times a year here but we can't use lights so you can only do it on full moon nights with a decent snow.
I like being able to see them come in and react , that's the whole reason I do it.
So although it's easier to get them to come in at night I'd rather not.
If we could you lights and infared it'd be differnet probably.

Originally Posted By: NoName1I do too, but just have a real hard time finding anyone that can keep their [beeep] together in the 3-5 second of window of detect, ID and shoot. If they do, they miss more than they hit. I like having a second person at night just for the safety factor..snakes, falls and dumb people. I was challenged last night by a resident next to the prison property, I won't say what species or race he was, but most likely spent some time ON the prison property himself. He was a total [beeep] and it could have easily gone the wrong way. I drive up on drunks in the ditch, people parked in my spots late at night doing dope and extra-martial activities. Sometimes it's entertaining and other times it gets kinda sketchy. The worst was a drunk dude that blamed me for him being in the ditch AFTER I stopped to help. He got loud and ignorant, made some threats, my partner got back in the truck with the guns and he was right up in my truck door.

At times id like to do some hunting of the human kind, but we aint got a season for em. Maybe some day.

I have a few spots where I know they bed year after year. Same type of terrain always thick always a break wind. Thick creak bottoms or swamps on the south side of hill or mountain seem popular. I have seen them bed in the planted pines.
I have a story that pertains to this very day. I was 9 and dad was teaching me to track and stillhunt deer, circa 1980.
"Son if you want to find the big bucks head to the mountain tops". "The bucks bed there with the wind to their backs and their track to their front".
"But dad, why do the bucks go way to the top to bed I asked"?
"Because he knows that the predators will come from below".

Good story rpc55 !
Too bad deer didn't always know that though ...lol
Killed a buck last year laying in a thick cut sound asleep in his bed facing away from where he came. Walked right up to him and shot him sleeping.
Some days it just seems easier and they forget what they're doing.

Back