Coyote @ 5 yards with HM2

Quote:
I dont think Logan ever claimed that the HM2 was a viable Coyote cartridge. Matter of fact, his very first sentence seems to suggest otherwise. It was a target of opportunity and it was a success. Give the guy some credit. I would never dream of hunting coyotes with a HM2 or HMR but if I was out popping bunnies or squirrels with one and a Coyote presented a shot, I darn sure would give it a go myself. You done good Logan. Sometimes a guy cant win for losing.

Thank you HighPlainsDrifter, much appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I dunno... The quote below and the fact he was hunting from a blind made me think he was purposefully coyote hunting with the tiny cartridge and that will continue in the future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I was thourally impressed and will not hesitate to use the HM2 again at close range.

Then the second post is the coyotes were targets of opportunity as he was hunting other game and when they were so close and presented such a good shot he tried it. Can't say as I blame him for that, I've done the same thing with the .22LR and shotgun with field loads over the years. Killed some and lost some wounded that probably died a rough death. I learned a lot in my ignorant youth. Heck, I even called coyotes before while squirrel hunting and armed with the .22LR. The squirrel hunting was slow and the place looked too good to pass up so with a squirrel distress call in my pocket I had to try it. I did so knowing I had to have the coyote close and with perfect shot presentation. Killed a hard charger at eight short steps. But I did so as a stunt and in no way assume the little rimfire is any sort of viable general purpose coyote hunting cartridge. Honestly, I did what I did as a stunt and out of vanity just to say I could do it. With experience it seems much less impressive now and a whole lot dumber than I'd like to believe I am capable of. But then, I exceed my expectations of myself in that category occasionally… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I know how to solve this, lets ask the yote if he thought it was enough gun for the range it was shot at. Good job Logan and +1 on what HighPlainsDrifter said.

ELJ

I put this guy down in his tracks with an HM2 @ 50 yards. It was a head shot and he did think it was enough.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

red_mount4-1.gif

You got lucky. Use a shotgun for close range. HM2 is for long range rabbits and other small varmints. What was you after originally?

t/c223encore.

Quote:
How about some pics of the homemade shooting sticks?

As requested...
The screws should be longer, I will prolly redo at some point.

506742374_GhV8y-L.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
You got lucky. Use a shotgun for close range. HM2 is for long range rabbits and other small varmints. What was you after originally?

t/c223encore.

Squirrels or something edible...

Quote:
I dunno... The quote below and the fact he was hunting from a blind made me think he was purposefully coyote hunting with the tiny cartridge and that will continue in the future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I was thourally impressed and will not hesitate to use the HM2 again at close range.

Then the second post is the coyotes were targets of opportunity as he was hunting other game and when they were so close and presented such a good shot he tried it. Can't say as I blame him for that, I've done the same thing with the .22LR and shotgun with field loads over the years. Killed some and lost some wounded that probably died a rough death. I learned a lot in my ignorant youth. Heck, I even called coyotes before while squirrel hunting and armed with the .22LR. The squirrel hunting was slow and the place looked too good to pass up so with a squirrel distress call in my pocket I had to try it. I did so knowing I had to have the coyote close and with perfect shot presentation. Killed a hard charger at eight short steps. But I did so as a stunt and in no way assume the little rimfire is any sort of viable general purpose coyote hunting cartridge. Honestly, I did what I did as a stunt and out of vanity just to say I could do it. With experience it seems much less impressive now and a whole lot dumber than I'd like to believe I am capable of. But then, I exceed my expectations of myself in that category occasionally… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Sorry you feel that way, I have much better rifles for coyote hunting, but hey I cant make anyone believe what my intentions were...

well whatever is the case. I had a hm2 and loved it , i wouldnt take it for coyotes but u were presented with one . great kill! I think i am going to get mine back, not for dogs lol.
what bullet?

Quote:
well whatever is the case. I had a hm2 and loved it , i wouldnt take it for coyotes but u were presented with one . great kill! I think i am going to get mine back, not for dogs lol.
what bullet?

Lol yeah i wouldnt grab it for dogs either, i love mine have shot alot of squirrels withit, a few grouse and a porcupine waiting for a rabbit, but never seem to see them in time. I was using Hornadys HM2 round, has 17gr vmax.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry you feel that way, I have much better rifles for coyote hunting, but hey I cant make anyone believe what my intentions were...

I guess I didn't explain myself very well after the original post. Logan reread this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Can't say as I blame him for that, I've done the same thing with the .22LR and shotgun with field loads over the years.

Quote:
great shot no matter the rifle used it did not move, much after words. Congrats.

Hey thanks alot. Yeah he didnt move much at all, was nice to watch him drop in his tracks like he did.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I guess I didn't explain myself very well after the original post. Logan reread this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Can't say as I blame him for that, I've done the same thing with the .22LR and shotgun with field loads over the years.

No harm no foul, glad it got the job done.
Also very glad to have been so close, was very exciting indeed.

at that range Id rather have the golf clubs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Way to go on the coyote though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Thats not a bad lookin peice of iron ya got there either

Gonna have to look for some golf clubs in pawn shops. Nice job on that dog. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Under the same circumstances, I would take the shot. As to your scope, I like the looks of it. What kind is it? I like the target turrents.

Who stops shooting coyotes in March?(Fastens his seat belt).
Wishen4dogs....you want some popcorn? Is it to late to start running? :) Logan...good shot on that coyote by the way!!

Quote:
Under the same circumstances, I would take the shot. As to your scope, I like the looks of it. What kind is it? I like the target turrents.

The scope is nothing fancy, some cheap thing off ebay, doesnt like cold weather much the turrets get mushy and lose their clicks.

Back