Couple of LR Rockchucks

I just ran the numbers on JBM, and if I can push the 115 at 3150, using Litz's B.C, I will be just dropping into that transonic region. If I could push a 105 Amax at 3300 I would get the same results, but that is rather fast for this bullet/cartridge.

Thats awesome guys!!!

Congrats to both of you.

I dont have very many rockchucks up here either. Theres only 2 places that I know of and 1 is off limits. The other spot is only out to 500 yards or so at most.

I would use the 105 amax myself for the expansion.

This is giving me the itch even more to find some 1K worthy loads for my 243 w/105 amax and my 264 w/140 amax.

The 7mms with 162g amax is awesome performer as well. I like the good old 7 RM. The Dakota would be good to if I was gonna build. Nothin wrong with the WSM, but I dont really like short/fat cartridges.

The 7mms will get you to 1500, you dont want or need the 338. To expensive and to much kick. Now if you wanna reach out beyone 1500, then yes, the big 338s are about the cheapest route to go.

Good luck rest of the year guys!!

thumbup.gif

Tim

That is some good shooting Ernie! Do the DTac's give pretty good terminal performance (i.e splat factor) from say 300 yards out to 1500? I really like how a 105 Amax can pick a chuck up at 600+ yards and throw it.

kyotekiller: We have enough chucks, but generally they are just in groups of 5-6 if we're lucky, so we usually just shoot 2 or so out of a group as to not completely decimate a population.

I was thinking of the 7 WSM (or 7/300 WSM) because for one I can use it in a short action, and two Froggy's article got me excited about it. It also will push a 180 VLD pretty dang fast.

We used a friends .284 Winchester F-Class rifle on chucks out at just about 1600 yards I'd say (54 or 55 MOA dialed and holding another 2 foot or so over the chucks) and we came within inches several times. That was with the 180 Berger VLD.

Thanks!
I have used that same set-up for a whitetail @ 350 yards 1-shot and down, and and a couple of antelope-good performance there-Distances under 300 yards.
When Steve and I were doggin that time we never shot at anything under 1500 yards.
I rarely shoot at pd's under 1K so I really can't answer your question, other than the the long shot.
I didn't use the 6-284 XP for pd's since that time.
The DTAC is made for Tubb by Sierra, so it is basically a Match King.

Originally Posted By: Verminator2That is some good shooting Ernie! Do the DTac's give pretty good terminal performance (i.e splat factor) from say 300 yards out to 1500?

The 115s should shoot out of a 1-8" twist shouldn't they? Just wondering if on this next re-barrel I should go 7.5" or 8". I imagine a Matchking would be rather thick, but I've only used the 107s on rabbits and a couple coyotes. Nothing too dramatic, but maybe the 115s are different. I think I will try to get my 1000 yard skills honed a little better than they are before I really stretch it out to 1500 yards with a 6mm.

Mine is a Broughton 5C 1-8 Twist.
Probably an 8 would work just fine, but you may consider 7.75
My MV's in my 6-284 will be around 300 fps slower than your barrel lengths would get with the same chambering. This is a tight neck chamber using 284 Win brass.

FWIW-My next goal is 2K on the pd's
laugh.gif

Thanks for the correction.
I am weary this evening-Long day.
Yes, I want a confirmed kill on a prairie dog with witnesses at 2,000+ yards with one of my specialty handguns.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI like to get 2k pdogs too.
wink.gif

Even better 2k pdogs @ 2k !
cool.gif

That is some mighty fine shooting--
thumbup.gif

Down here if I want to shoot at distances that far, I would have to go about 25 miles south and shoot out in to the Gulf of Mexico,,Course the only thing to shoot at would be Sea Gulls--
sneaky2.gif

But they want set still/and the Marine Patrol probably would not like it.

But ya'll keep on posting threads like this and I will keep on dreaming.

David

Well, my new 7 WSM after I shoot a LR pistol comp in June.
My 7 Dakota barrel as well.
It will likely be fit on the BAT rear grip BR rig.
Then I have the 338 AX and the 375 Snipe-Tac.
I seriously doubt if I will get any 2k+ dogging in until mid-August at the earliest. Too many irons in the fire.

Back