Cougar Calling this year

Just posted RS25...

On this page: https://rain-shadow.com/cougar-calling-stories-1

This one just happened!

It's a long story, but Jeff did a very good job writing it up and it really shows the use of the networked trail camera in real time, so I wanted to leave the whole thing there. Wish I could post pics in with the story on my new website, but these pages are getting so huge that the site can't handle it.

It's Call-in Story Page 1, about 1/3 of the way down. Look for RS25. Another BIG BIG Tom for Jeff!

SEND ME YOUR STORIES!!!!

PSA: If anybody has any trouble opening the website to read the new stories, you might have to go to your browser settings and find and old cookie associated with rain-shadow.com and delete it. It was somehow tied to another domain that I let expire. I don't get it, but I know it works if you are getting an expired domain message. rain-shadow.com is still live, just need to clear out the old cobwebs!

Thanks!

Figured id post this cat here even though i didnt get it calling. Or even hunting for that matter. Last week, when i should have been out elk hunting, i was just sitting on my butt at home on my birthday doing nothing because it was pouring rain all day. A couple deer came through my yard from the timber co land next door looking really spooked. I thought, i bet theres a cat over there. Not too long after i see this cat fast walking through the timber id thinned out about 60 yards from my house, like it was trying to catch up to the deer. Jumped off my couch, grabbed my .223 off the chair next to me, flung the window open and whistled to stop it just in time, shot as fast as i could. Whole thing went down in just a few seconds. Just dumb luck sitting at home. Its a female, about 3yr old. Anyway, ive done a little bit of cougar calling this year but not much, waiting for the snow. So now my washington tag is filled, so ill be heading to unit 1 idaho in a week or two to call lions and wolves. If theres anybody here that lives up in unit 1 that i could pm for snow / road conditions, id sure appreciate it.
20231102_171552_copy_600x800.jpg

Last edited:
Well looking at the forecast, looks like ill be heading to idaho to hunt lions (and wolves) in fresh snow dec 1st. Kinda glad the timing worked out that way. Thought itd be best to wait until then so i wont be hunting during deer season, with the hated washington plates.

Out here in eastern OR waiting for a good snow to set in so I can hunt the deer and elk concentrated spots that have held lions past few years. Have had ranchers tell me of 4 sightings in as many months. Saw 2 while elk hunting but couldn’t close the gap. Have been calling coyotes last couple weeks, So far nothing but coyotes. Lol.

Only got over there for a couple days beginning of december, got snowed out quick, hit the lowlands and then a big rain storm cae and i ran home. Been out at sea since pretty much. Ill be home at the end of the month, taking a few weeks off, but i suspect there will be too much snow for me to want to screw around in idaho so ill likely just hunt bobs and yotes around home. Will be going to the f4wm sandpoint banquet feb 10th though, so ill try to get some hunting in while im there, if i can find anywhere to pull off the road and get into the woods. Got my 2024 idaho lion and wolf tags ready to go.

I've had quite a few people ask me if I have a Heat sound.

I do now.

I didn't for a long time, because my theory (which I still stand by) is that you draw all Cats with mellow communicative sounds, and you only draw specific Cats with aggressive sounds.

Heat is fairly aggressive.

But as I learn from my own collection of cougar calling stories, Heat can and will call more than just Big Toms. It seems to call others in a territorial response, but other cats are territorial too. So there is more than just that ONE application of a heat sound.

So, thanks to the great trail camera audio captures from Rodney in the South Lake Roosevelt region, now RainShadow has a Heat sequence.

I added it to the Vocals package, but for those of you who already have my vocal sequences, I added it as a stand-alone download (for me it's on page 3 of the e-store, phone and computer) between AFC and MR on the Products page.

Bidenomics notwithstanding, I haven't increased any prices.

Thanks! Go out after 'em!

Going over to idaho for another try thursday morning. Hopefully my quad (no tracks) will be good enough to get me around. Very little snow this year. Will be treating it like a cougar hunt, looking for tracks, hiking around, cold calling... but sure wouldnt mind getting into some wolves. Really hoping the weather cooperates with me this time. Excited to hunt with the new 223. Figure ill hunt thursday, friday, saturday morning, then head to the f4wm banquet in sandpoint saturday. Then back out hunting, weather permitting.

Back