Cost of suppressor?

cbass,
No offense but its a mistake IMO to assume any trust works until they are tested.Its not unlikely many will be tested in the next few years.Even though 'trustees' undergo a background check,it(a trust)are viewed as 'loopholes' by some.On the other hand,a 'lawyer drawn' trust doesn't mean its done right either.
Not arguing,not debating,not speculating,just giving an opinion.
Good hunting.

Originally Posted By: DiYi cbass,
No offense but its a mistake IMO to assume any trust works until they are tested.Well that's a "glass half empty" kind of statement. My glass half full says, "It's a mistake to assume any trust WON'T work, a trust is a legal document, what goes into the trust is irrelevant, as long as you verify the document is legal in your state."
Part of the reason a Trust typically get approved faster than just a plain Form 4, is because the granter DOESN'T go through a background check. Who would they check on?? The trust owns the property, not the individual, even after the granter dies. Any/all trustees are not given background checks at the time the forms are sent in, why would they be given background checks after the granter dies?
A trustees legal ability to own a firearm, and his/her age should both be cleared BEFORE they are ever entered as a trustee in the first place.
Again, making sure that a trust is legal in your state, should be all the peace of mind that you need. If you think a lawyer might not draw up your trust correctly, you need to stay far far away from them anyway. That's their job.

I would assume trusts HAVE ALREDY been "put to the test" quite often. It's foolish to assume EVERYONE that has ever had an NFA item purchased with a trust, is still alive. They've been used since 1934.
Buying an NFA item with a trust is not a new phenomenon and if anyone considers a Trust, a loophole, they simply are uneducated on the topic and are pulling at straws.
After all, anything that's easy MUST BE a loophole right?
Anyone since 1934 that has bought their NFA item with a Trust and has passed away, has likely had their trust reviewed, and yet, still none have been found faulty. More likely than seeing Trusts start to be reviews and overturned, is that soon, people are going to start coming to the boards saying..."I use an NFA item because it was Trusted to me by my father that passed away recently"

Originally Posted By: 1934 National firearms Act, Subsection B- definitions:person = A partnership, company, association, trust, estate, or corporation, as well as a natural person.

No sense arguing as you say.Trusts have been subjected to many legal tests but I'm unaware of any NFA trust being tested and thats the issue really isn't it.Do you have any idea of how many types of trusts there are?Very,very few have anything to do with NFA.
Dealing with them is a large part of what I did for 30 years so I certainly wouldn't want to argue with you.
Nevertheless I hired a trust lawyer to do ours.Free country-do what you want.
Good hunting.

Rogge,
Do a search for 'gun trusts' or NFA gun trusts and you'll get plenty of info on them.Good and bad inherent in their use.
IMO it would be foolish to rely on internet babble when deciding to use one or not.
There IS a background check when they are used.It may be shorter cause there's no fingerprint requirement but the FBI will check you out.
Good hunting.

Originally Posted By: cbass16 a "Trust" thread at Silencer Talk

I suggest reading that entire thread front to back.

Just did cbass and my freaking eyes hurt! It is amazing how long a thread a few simple questions generated. I'm at about 3.5 months now on the ATF wait. It's got to be any time now.....AAC SPR/M4 in 6.8

If every county had a sheriff that would sign off on a NFA we wouldn't need trusts! But that's not the case as some LEO think they are God and can tell you what you can and can not own!

Plus with a trust anyone can use the NFA or have it in their possession! Because I'm not sure if you know this but if your mom, dad, wife, child or even your friend is caught with YOUR NFA or even knows how to get access to it then you can be in some serious trouble with the law.

That was my case. My local LEO didn't feel like I should own a suppressor. So I had to go the trust route. Doesn't matter he isn't the chief anymore and the new one will sign off, but no need I will just continue to use my trust. I like being able to decide who gets what anyways, if I do pass.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderIf every county had a sheriff that would sign off on a NFA we wouldn't need trusts! But that's not the case as some LEO think they are God and can tell you what you can and can not own!

I went with a trust because I think it is absolutely ridiculous that upon my death, a family member will need to pay another $200 Transfer tax in order to take over my NFA item.

With the trust, I can list whoever I want as a trustee, and when I die, they take possession without a transfer.

I know my sheriff personally, taught me D.A.R.E. in 5th grade. I could have had him sign off on mine no problem, but that wasn't the point. Uncle Sam is already getting away with one crime by charging me a gov tax of $200, I'll be damned if I'm going to subject a family member to the same thing.

Last edited:
Back