Coon Calling

mikeothmer

Does anybody else do any coon calling? Why is there so little written about this amazing calling sport? If you want some fast calling action that most callers in this country can try,coons are the ticket.It's also a great way to interest some of our younger callers because you don't need to sit still for hours on end waiting.

What kinda sounds do you use? I just got a trail cam picture with 7 coons in 1 picture. It might be fun to try.

Sparky13

MDGC0229.jpg

Try Raccoon distress or raccoon fight sounds they work.High pitched bird sounds work good as well.

Last edited:
I have a Minaska caller and use the baby coons to start off and work my wat up to the boar fight sounds. I have also had luck with the bird sounds. Calling in the day time is a lot of fun and you can call 24/7 with about the same kind of results untill it gets colder than 20 degrees. Then they respond a lot less but still not impossible.

Most of the calling I have tried is late evening, just before dark. I suppose they respond better at night. I don't have a lot of experience at calling coons, but would like to learn more.

I've tried a variety of sounds, from raccoon puppies, to fight sounds. I did call a bobcat one time, however, with a fight sound. It came on the run and seemed excited by it.

We have used the distress sounds with great success. They come boiling out of the tree and in a couple of seconds of starting calling. Lots of fun. SM

I've been using the baby kit distress with alot of luck usually followed up with boar fight sequence. Here in Ks. we are not allowed to use lights when calling at night,sooo all of my calling is done during the day.

Dennis Kirk has a book out on raccoon calling, and Gerry
Blair has a chapter in his Predator calling book on them.
They are fun and pretty easy to call using bird distress,
coon puppies, or raccoon fight sounds. I have also had them
respond to a grey fox pup and rabbit distress sounds too. I
prefer to use the raccoon fight sound later in the season
during their mating season.

Mu favorites are twittering coon and coon in distress. I hunt at night, and, if the coyotes aren't cooperating, will get bored and work on the coons. Coon in distress is a two edged sword. On the one hand, I have called coons back with it after dispatching their partners. On the other hand, I have had it send every coon in sight scampering up the trees. With all the live oaks and spanish moss we have, this isn't usually a good thing.

Last edited:
I use high pitched open reed calls and a spot light. They don't always come in, but they usually at least look your direction and sometimes they come in. Sometimes they come in just like a coyote! Yikes! Don't let them get too close! Shot a 20 pounder in the neck on the charge last year from about 15 yards... I usually carry a rifle and my partner often carries a shotgun. They don't always come close enough for shotguns (the ones that don't come in) so I like my rifle better for picking them off.

17HMR w/17gr Vmax seems to do the trick.
eb80c1c9.jpg

Calling raccoons is a blast. Especialy when they are in attack mode. I have had them come out of a tree and come right at me, it is a blast. I thought my buddies son was going to go crazy he was so excited when one came running in one time.

I use a lever action 44 magnum to hunt them with a 240 grain cast bullet at about 900 fps. I am looking for a good Marlin 1894 in 25-20 or 32-20. I think that wqould be the perfect cartridge for least amount of pelt damage. The 44 does well, just one hole in(but it is a pretty big hole). Tom.

Can you call coons in day time? If so how do I set up? In Iowa we cannot use spot lights at night unless coons treed with a dog.

Back