Contest for Hunting the Night Shift

R Buker

It's time to start up the night hunting contest again.

What it boils down to is that we will be giving away one VHS copy of "Hunting the Night Shift" each month based on a story you submit of your night hunt.

It doesn't have to be fancy, well written or anything else. We just want to know your stories. (pics are very good!)

Stories will need to be posted in this thread to be eligible.

(we may give away more than one copy if we get more than one story that really tickles our fancy)

So, let's hear your stories!

Come on guys. Let's hear some stories. Even if you already own a copy of "Hunting the Night Shift," it will still make a good christmas gift! Besides, I like the stories.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This thread is a copy of the "2 kills / pics" I posted. I was told to post over here . . .
Kill # 1 Evening of October 1st / early morning October 2nd:

My buddy, Kris, nailed his first coyote EVER with a borrowed 25-06 that he had never shot prior to putting a 50 grain lead lunch into the belly of a coyote. Kris and I stood in the back of my pickup and I ran the callers (tally-ho and Austin howler) as well as the Lightforce 170 spotlight with red lens. The time was approximately 11:15 PM. I was standing on a stepladder when I gave several distress calls on the tally-ho on and off for about 10 minutes with no response. I then went to the howler. We had a response IMMEDIATELY after I let one out with the howler. I was afraid we were outa’ luck because the response came from several hundred yards down wind. We heard at least 4 or 5 coyotes howling and yipping after that first shot on the howler. I had the skunk essence open and next to the pickup on the down wind side, hoping for the best. Kris had a night vision monocular (2nd generation) and was using that to try and detect the coyotes. He saw the coyotes through his monocular at almost the exact same time I saw their eyes. He was whispering his thoughts concerning the whereabouts of the coyotes and I thought for sure if they didn’t smell us they would hear him. We coordinated our efforts as I ran the light and he began trying to find them in the scope of the 25-06. He was worried because we could see the coyotes’ eyes from at least 250 yards out, but he couldn’t find them in his scope. So he whispered “I’m not going to get ‘em with the rifle, I can’t find him in the scope – I’ll have to take him with my handgun.” (he had .40 caliber on his hip). After I hushed him for what seemed like the 10th time, I asked him to keep trying because the coyote was working its way down wind and would certainly not come close enough for the handgun. I can’t put into words how exciting it was to watch the coyotes in the red light – they just kept coming toward us, angling to the down wind side. Two of the three coyotes hung up about 200 yards out while the third coyote kept coming. Lucky for us, there was a fence line guarding the down wind side, so he would have to cross the fence to get directly down wind, and he didn’t want to do that. Finally, Kris got a good image in his scope and I recommended he aim just below the coyote’s eyes (the gentleman from whom he borrowed the rifle told Kris it was sighted in for 200 yards and I figured this coyote was about 125 yards out). Well, Kris took aim and touched off a round . . . KHERRWHUMP and then no more eyes. I went straight to the coyote in distress, figuring we might have a chance at another if I could convince the pack to come take a look. No takers. We got out of the back of the pickup and walked out to find a dead coyote at least 150 yards away and nearly down wind of us. I can’t believe the coyote didn’t smell us or hear Kris. The wind was blowing around 12 mph, so maybe it was gusty enough to cover us up on both accounts . . . skunk essence must have helped at least a little. It is worthy to note this was Kris’s first coyote hunt and he shot like a pro. That’s an awesome shot at night, 150+ yards away and resting the gun on his knee. If it were me, I would have been shaking with excitement and certainly missed.
Kris1stcoyote3.jpg

Kill # 2 Evening of October 1st / early morning October 2nd
After that first kill I figured, in silence at least, we better call it a night because it would be awful hard to top Kris’s kill. As we got closer to Kris’s house he suggested we take a quick drive a couple miles away and try another spot where he had heard of a lot of coyotes. What the heck, couldn’t hurt, right? We found a nice coulee and parked the pickup on a ridge. (BTW, I drove with all the lights off and Kris used the spotlight {with red lens} to light a path for me – we did it like this so we could be even more stealthy). Again I set the skunk essence on the down wind side of the pickup and prepared for the set. The wind had kicked up a bit and knocked the stepladder over “clank, bang, whack.” I apologized profusely to Kris, figuring we just lost whatever chances we had due to my lack of noise control. I folded up the ladder and we stayed quiet for about 5 minutes. I had the 12 gauge shotgun with Nitro Mag TT shot, just in case we got a real gamer in close. Chris again took his position with the 25-06. We got situated in the back of the pickup and just before I put the tally-ho to my lips we hear a whole lot of howling and yipping. It sounded like a pack of 5 – 6 coyotes to our left (wind blowing straight down wind to our 12 O’clock). We heard a loner on our 6 O’clock, but counted him out as he was at least 500 yards up wind and would require a lot of time to circle down wind before one of the others, we hoped, got shot. I let out a series of howls on the Austin howler and that all but silenced the pack. I whispered to Kris, “they’re running right for us, I guarantee it”. I was certain I had caught the interest of these crazy varmints and I wanted to believe we had a chance at them. After about 3 minutes of silence I went to work on the tally-ho with a coyote distress sound. Only a few seconds after that series a coyote shows up about 200 yards to our 10 O’clock and working his way down wind. Again, we were up on a ridge – I wasn’t concerned about the coyote catching our scent because he was below us in the coulee. Kris couldn’t get a decent look at him through the scope so I panned around with the Lightforce 170 spotlight with red lens . . . and here came a gamer. This guy was on a solid trot only 70 yards away and at our 10 O’clock working his way down wind, of course. Well, he got to within 20 yards of us and decided he should slow to a stop and consider his surroundings (at least, that’s what I figured he must have been thinking). Remember now, I was working the spotlight and the tally-ho . . . Kris was struggling to get this close up coyote in his scope. He was whispering (AGAIN) about his troubles and that was when I decided to give the shotgun a dance. With my left hand operating the spotlight and the shotgun in my right hand I did my best to aim at the top of the varmint and I touched one off. I’m here to tell you, that coyote tumbled like it was his job in life. (this was a lucky shot because I wasn’t using the proper stance – I should have been “resting” my gun on top of my left forearm like a pro; instead, I was literally one-handing the shotgun). I was sure I hit him solid, but he found his feet and trotted off. Kris by now decided whispering wasn’t loud enough – “shoot him again!” I couldn’t jack another round into the shotgun with my left hand still coiled around the spotlight, so I fell all over myself trying to accomplish that. Too late, the coyote was out of sight and down the ridge. (I must have looked like a half-wit clown) I gave a few coyote distress calls and then the pack let us know the jig was up . . . yip, yip, bark, bark, howl-bark, yip . . . “you’re busted guys, so pack it up.” Kris assured me I hit that coyote, and I had to agree . . . I had him dead to last rites when I squeezed the trigger. We hopped out of the pickup and looked around. That filthy varmint ran almost 100 yards after being peppered with TT shot before calling it quits.
Scottshotgundcoyote1.jpg

Question: is 3 Inch TT shot the best round for coyotes? Regardless of what the wife says, I gotta buy the best round for coyotes!
Good luck & God bless,
~Scott

My hunting buddy, Kris, and I went out ALL night looking for coyotes last night. We had a third trigger with us for the first 2 sets, his name was Danny. This is what transpired . . . that's me with the camo'd scatter gun. The first stand was during the daylight. I used the foxpro and the tally-ho at the same time. I was using coyote distress on the foxpro and blowing the “crippled coyote blues” on the tally ho. We had no takers. On the way back to the pickup we spotted a coyote standing, broadside, 50 yards away. Danny "snuck" a little closer and took a knee (in hunting terms, this means "you guys stay back and I'll shoot the coyote"). Kris and I shouldered our guns and just watched as Danny dropped the hammer and MISSED the coyote - high / over the top. I was reaching for my tally-ho to give the ki-yi but before I could get to it Kris decided to take a pot shot . . . no luck. Strike 1 on the home team.

Second Stand = lots of yelping and warning bark, bark, yip, yip howl, yip bark (did this stand in the dark), so we had no luck. Ball 1, out of the strike zone.

Third Stand (Danny is gone for the night now) = tried for about 15 minutes and then packed it up. As we're getting ready to leave, I shine the lightforce 170 / red lens toward our 6 O'clock and, what do you know, a set of red eyes watching us from about 200 yards. I started lip squeaking and those eyes came at us on a dead run. Kris fumbled with the .223, trying to get the western rivers scope light detached. By the time he had the .223 ready to fire the predator was within 90 yards and closing. I asked Kris to let me know when he wanted me to stop the varmint . . . at about 75 yards Kris asked me to make the beast hold still . . . I let out a dog howl and it stood still. BANG . . . miss - high / over the top. It was a fox and he wasn't coming back. Strike 2 on the good guys.

Fourth Stand = A good spot with lots of coyotes, but they must have heard or seen something they didn't like because one of 'em barked, yipp yipp, bark - howl - barked us out of there. It was weird because 15 minutes after he busted us a whole bunch of other coyotes went into a serenade, so I figured we might get lucky. You know the rest . . . we waited, howled, waited, distress sound, waited . . . left without seeing a thing. Ball 2, out of the strike zone.

Fifth Stand = not a PEEP from anything. We saw some monster bucks (mule deer) but no predators. No pitch, no ball, no strikes.

Sixth Stand = We setup on a river bank, facing east, with a fence line running east - west beside us and through the river. After parking the pickup, we sat still for at least 10 minutes and just listened. About 5 minutes into our "sitting still" we heard a whole lot of coyotes making themselves known. We crawled into the truck stand as quietly as we could and I gave a few howls on the Austin Howler. The coyotes shut up immediately. I told Kris they were almost certainly on their way and just a minute later the coyotes proved my guess to be correct. Three sets of eyes were bounding toward us from outside 200 yards. They held up about 150 yards out and I started lip squeaking . . . they love that sound, don't they? In they came. Kris asked me to keep the light on the left coyote and stop him . . . I gave a dog howl and the coyote came to a dead stop at about 45 yards. BANG . . . missed high and over the top again. I went to the ki-yi and they stopped again, about 75 yards out this time. BANG . . . see shot number one for details. I gave Kris a firm suggestion "aim low, take your time" and then went to the ki yi again. One stopped at about 120 yards or so . . . BANG, THWACK. That shot took off most of the coyotes right front leg and the 55 grain ballistic tip must have shredded into his lungs, because he wasn't making much progress trying to get away. Now we couldn't see him in the light anymore. The river is really shallow in parts, so I grabbed the scatter gun and the spare light and headed for the banks. I found a shallow spot, crossed and then coordinated my efforts with Kris until I found the dirty varmint trying to find its feet and get away. One dose of 2 3/4" BB shot from about 20 yards closed the books on that hunt. Well, folks, we should have had three or four coyotes and a fox, but ended up with a single coyote and a lot of educated predators. It was a good hunt, with a lot of action. Really cold out last night, though . . . I was sure wishing I had some Car Hart bibs on instead long underwear and jeans! Enjoy the pictures . . .
Kriss2ndcoyoteb.jpg

ScottwithKriss2ndyoteb.jpg

Good luck and God bless

Last edited:
Well, I suppose a fella ought to post his failures in here, too, just to be honest. After my hunting buddy, Kris, missed 2 out of 3 shots on our previous hunt I decided I would get behind the trigger and have him run the spotlight. Our first spot last night brought in nothing - no howls, no interaction of any kind. Our second stand was near a river and we had the pickup facing into the wind (12 - 15 mph from the S / SE) while we stood in the tower in the back. I gave a few howls . . . then waited a few minutes and went to ki-yi. I repeated this procedure three times with a 4 minute interval between each. After the last set of ki-yi's we saw two sets of eyes on the dead run straight for us, directly down wind. They hung up about 100 yards out and Kris said "let them get close" to which I abrubtly replied "SHHHHHH!" The coyotes lined up next to each other and touched off a round . . . I thought I hit the one on the right because I heard a good "thwap" and it actually spun around once. We saw no blood and found no coyote . . . Time for me to go shoot at some paper to make sure the Savage 12-FV .223 is dialed in properly.
Good luck and God Bless,
~Scott

Hello Randy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif . Yes, that's an old fuel tank rack. My hunting buddy found it on his property (he's only been living on his place for a couple years) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. We're going to make a bunch of modifications . . . in the meantime, we just screwed a few piece of wood to the top for a safe place to conduct business. We're planning on adding the swivel chairs, rifle / spotlight rests as well as some safety slings for the scatter guns. I'm hoping my hunting buddy will invest in a spotlight, we could really use a second light up there because, I'm sure you know, there is rarely just ONE coyote coming in to the call - it would be nice to take down a few doubles, maybe a triple. I think the most important mod we can make right now is a good "bench rest" so we quit missing so darn many shots. How long do you think it will take before those coyotes can be hunted again (the recently-educated coyotes, of course)? Shooting coyotes sure is addictive . . . I just got off the phone with a few land owners and secured some additional privileges.
Good luck & God bless,
~Scott

guess I will give this a whirl. me and another fellow club member got together for a little hunt last year. he uses hand calls all the time and I had never had any real experience with a hand call so I was paying more atention to him calling then I was to hunting right at that moment. up till then I had called this farm two times with no luck, but everytime I was up there during the day they were out playing in the hay field. About that time I look out in the field and see atleast 5 sets of eyes looking at me. so I figured I ought to start paying attention to hunting rather then watching him call. On my first slow scan over on my side a fox had snuck up to within 10ft of me and smacked him right in the face with the red light. At this time I about messed myself because I had never heard him coming in. So there I am sitting about 3 ft beside my buddy, trying to find the safety on this brand new .17hmr I had bought a few days earlier.(I had about a box of ammo through it at the time, also I have no feeling in my thumb from a shop incident). So after what seemed like 3-4 minutes(about 30secs) I finally find the saftey and click it to off. At this time I think the fox is getting a little antsy just sitting there and as soon as I get the gun up he turns and walks the other way. not even 10 seconds after he walks the other way my buddy stops squeking on his call and says "would you be quiet they are never going to come in with you makeing that much ruckas" I said to him "didn't you see him?" his reply "see what" we never did kill a fox in that field. we made two more stands and the wind started swirling on us after we setup. Then to top it all off we are sitting ther BSing and he says "quiet.... here that?" here a couple coyotes up on the mountian fired up but we decided to leave em at that time it was going on 4:00 am and we decided time to get home. moral of the story never let your gaurd down then know your gun so you can blast em. If I would have grabbed the shotgun he would have been dead but imagine the hole in his chest at 10ft!

Leave it to a predator hunter to put a fuel tank stand in the back of his truck and love it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have to give you guys an adaboy for creativity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif (I think you should get the prize just for that!) The sad thing is they had the fuel tank on until someone told them that it wasnt a good idea to shoot while stradling it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Sorry had to.

Take care,

Todd

Last edited:
I just started hunting coyotes last spring. I was seeing too many around the house and they were becoming a serious problem with the livestock. I live on the south fence line of a sixty acre corn field. Beyond the field there is a small valley, a creek, then another corn field. To the south of my house there is a groove of mature evergreens that is also surrounded be corn fields. Just less than a mile east of the house, beyond the second field, is a river that the deer, coyotes, and whatever else run.

As I said earlier, I am a rookie, and it has been challenging to find information on the internet. I have done a lot of trial and error. Perhaps some of it hasn't been the most "ethical", but I am not doing this as a sport, more tryingto control a problem.

Spring is also calving season. Instead of using a caller, I used a dead calf as bait. This calf was a week old when it died, and it was big enough the coyotes couldn't drag it off. I placed it in a waterway about 150 yards behind the house. It's low, in an open field, and up from the pasture and evergreens.

The next evening I come home about 9:00, immediately shine the 2 million spotlight from the deck and see eyes glowing. Apparently, the coyotes don't run from a bright white light when there's supper before them.

It's kind of like what Adam Smith, the founder of capitaism once said. "Man is the only animal that barters. You never see a dog trade one bone for another." This dog's greed wasn't going to let her listen to her instincts and run from the light and leave the meal.

Now the story gets a little weird. For me to shoot from the kitchen door, I need someone to hold the light. That's were my wife come in. She had stomach surgery two weeks earlier. She still had a G-tube going into her stomach for feeding while her stomach heals. Attached to the tube is an I-V stand with a pump and a bag of Ensure.

She has to drag all this outside while wearing her night gown to hold the spotlight. I the meantime, she is uncomfortable about shooting anything at night. She keeps "asking" if I know what it is or am I about to shoot or am I shooting first and discover what I hit later.

I've suggested dozens of times that she should take a look through the scope are see the clarity. She refuses. Apparently she was still [beeep] about me buying it in the first place. Women.

In any case here I am "hunting" from my kitchen door,with my wife, in a night gown, two weeks out of surgery, with a feeding tube going into here stomach. Can it get any more white trash hoosier than that?

In any case, I got the coyote. Shot it in the mouth! However, I learned a valuable lesson. Don't take your wife hunting.

I won't take her to a NASCAR race again either, but that's another story!

Good story captplaid, glad you were able to take out at least one of the varmints! If you really want to get rid of them, stay after it and use a red lens next time - they won't even know you're there. Give that wife of yours a break and attach the spotlight to your gun (even if you have to tape it on there).

Todd, no one told us it wasn't a good idea to stradle the fuel tank - it started on fire after I unloaded the 12 Gauge at a coyote and we had to kick it off the stand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I just hope it didn't scare all of the coyotes out of the country.

Had a cow die in the water way 200 yards straight behind the house last spring. The ground was soft enough we couldn't get to it to bury it for a couple of days. Please don' think we intentionally left a +1,200 pound dead cow out there. I was removed from the field as soon as weather permitted, but it was just that time of year.

Anyway, I thought the coyotes were going to love it. Immediately at dusk I kept a close eye on it. I couldn't believe what I saw. Every night just before the sun went down, all the other cows would surround it. The other cows would be scattered all over the field, but every evening they made a circle around the dead cow. I the morning there was a ring of muddy hoof prints around it.

I knew the coyotes were probably in the brush down by the creek 100-150 yards away. I think the other cows were protecting the dead one. Nothing ever touched it. I never thought cows were that smart with a herd instinct.

I’ll enter the Hunting the Night Shift and try to give back to this board all at the same time. My night hunting partner, and long time friend Butch, and I decided to enter our second night hunting contest. Butch had a place to hunt that hadn’t been trapped or called in many years. I live 70 miles away and had to drive through the town where the contest was being held to pick up Butch and go on over to where we would hunt that night. The contest rules say you can’t hunt until after 3:00 p.m. I signed up for the contest at 3:00 p.m. and drove the final 35 miles to start our hunt. We were hunting from my jeep which I set up after looking at Randy Watson’s hunting chair. I also added a few features of my own. (You’ll see photos shortly.) The ranch we hunted is rough, rough and more rough, but has fairly decent roads. We started calling about 5:00 p.m. as we checked out our options of where to go. Butch has slight disabilities, mostly between his ears, so he gets up in the chair & stays there through out the night. I on the other hand, drive, climb up to hunt and then down to collect the kill. We have a very good system. I (and my Wife) blame this board for everything that I’ve had to have or build for the last year or so. My hunting set up is a two seat configuration, each side by side. Each seat will swivel 360°, but not while both chairs are mounted at the same time. You each get ½ of the field of view to hunt and shoot. The shooting rest I made holds the light, which adjusts up and down so no one is holding anything. We both have light force scopes mounted lights (PMs fault again). These only turn on when your ready to shoot. There are Brinkmen in the light brackets on each chair. In other words you both hunt 180°, you just tap the other one if something is coming, but definitely before you shoot. Keeps from having to clean out your drawers that way. Back to the hunt. We called up only two foxes before dark. But after dark, the fun began. Most sets we had three or more show up. There wasn’t any taking turn shooting, as we often do in slower hunts. We only hunted three big pastures of this place, I think it’s probably about 16,000 acres total, located on the Rio Grande River. Anyway, we would call, shoot, collect and move. This went on all night. I have a big hook on the front of my jeep bumper to carry our varmints on. I slit the hock of each animal and hang them on it. No fleas in the jeep this way. I didn’t know how many foxes would fit on this thing nor did I think I need that info. But, as we hunted the hook filled up. We had to make a run to the truck to empty it. I forgot to mention, I trailer my jeep on these long distance hunts. Anyway, 15 foxes is the magical number the hook will carry. We unloaded and started the next pasture at about 1:30 a.m. or so. This had to be a once in a lifetime hunt because we filled up the hook again. We quit hunting at about 6:45 a.m. as we needed to load the jeep and travel the 45 miles to check in, plus get out of the ranch, all before the 9:00 a.m. check in time. We made it with 30 minutes to spare. This hunt will be one we won’t forget anytime soon. We won the contest with 29 foxes, all killed in about 14 hours. The pictures that follow are of the foxes on my jeep hook. I only took pictures of one load at different angles. A picture of Butch on his perch, a picture of myself on the ground and a picture of both our ugly faces at the check in with 29 stinking foxes in the bed of the truck. The sad part is that they had very few entries in the contest. I don’t think we could have been beaten with any amount of entries. As you will notice, we weren’t choosey about our shots, we just wanted them anchored and go on to the next one. There were about a dozen or so that managed to leap over the edge of the canyon walls. I wasn’t about to go too close as these were very steep and dangerous in the dark. The tips, sounds and knowledge of hunting the night shift, I owe to Predator Masters as well as Watson. I’ve gleamed much while reading and searching this site. I’ll post some pictures of a recent hunt as well as better pictures of my rig. Butch has a rig that is twin to mine. We both shoot .223's with Light force lights and now we both own a FoxPro FX3. Again, PM’s fault. I have found the programming of it easy as pie. I loaded some of our own sounds on it. Buker, what I don’t have is a copy of Hunting the Night Shift video. I need more tips. I’m a night hunting junkie now and I need a fix!

Thanks,
Saltyvarmintr

Rig
dwkhuntrig.jpg

15 Foxes
dwkhunt3.jpg

Different Angle
dwkhunt4.jpg

Butch in Perch - Looks happy huh?
dwkhunt5.jpg

Me
dwkhunt6.jpg

Butch & Me and 29 Foxes at checkin
dwkhunt7.jpg

Finally figured this thing out!!!

Last edited:
Alright, this was previously posted, but I'm going to put 'er here just to try for the video..
Me and a couple buddies (Wayne & Brad) hit up three places Friday night. First night stands since last May. Wayne & I had hunted together a couple times before & this was Brad's first night hunt. First set up was a place we haven’t hunted before, good 400 acres of grass w/ some groupings of trees. We set up with trees 100 yrds to our south & a fence line to another open pasture about 100 yrds to our north. After about 10 min of calling, we got one's attention out of the pasture to our north. It got to the fence about 120 out & then disappeared. Looked & called & w/in a minute a second dog came from the same general area the first one started from, but it crossed the fence sooner & came strait at us & kept coming even when I stopped calling when he crossed the fence. At about 80 I tried stopping him, but he kept coming all the way up to about 40 yards out, Wayne fires, “click”, jacks another in the chamber but he’s tuck tail back to where he came from. Ki-yi & he stops for about a second, no shot & he takes off. Well, in the direction he’s heading come 3 more sets of eyes. They cross the fence & are two are coming hard w/ one hanging back a little. Brad’s on the right yote & Wayne on the left one, 90 out I bark, no stop. At 60 or so they split to where you can’t see both in the light, I follow the left one, to 20 yards from the truck before he lights out kicking a vapor trail, nobody shot. Pick up the 3rd one standing about 80 yards out, & Brad can’t get on him before he starts moving & finally runs off. One loops back around on the other side if the fence stops & Wayne fires.. “thud” dog is spinning.
Needles to say, they were young & dumb, but not so dumb now. We’ll have to wait until they’re a little more hungry before trying that place again. One of those situations had we had a shotgun we would have easily popped 2 when the got that close. Scopes just got in the way when they wouldn’t stop.

We called in a dog at the next place, but he was older, not dumb & obviously not too hungry b/c he hung up about 250 out. Wayne took a shot, but hit dirt & that one was gone. Went to the third place. We set up close to the down wind tank in a valley. After about 5 minutes, one showed up in a grouping of trees upwind & went back & forth in the tree line, but wouldn’t come out. He was too far out to take a good shot. We tried everything trying to tempt that old yote in, but he just wouldn't commit. I think he was looking for a place to come out above us, but there were momma cows with young babies in the pasture and besides not being too hungry, I think he didn’t want to get stomped by those momma cows.

It was great fun, even though we didn't get but one on the ground. Poor Brad didn't even fire a shot, but he's hooked and ready to go again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif So am I.

CTS

Well, I started out on this thread with a few kills and now I'm down to two failures in a row. I sure hope my chances at the video aren't too diminished by the fact that . . . my hunting buddy invited a few bird hunters along with us last week for a night hunt. That makes five people in the back of my rig - three up on the stand (plenty of room up there) and two in the box of the pickup. We drove two vehicles and on the first set the youngest of the three new fellas slams the door on their Expedition. I figure it's just about senseless to even try that spot because it was DEAD quiet that evening. We gave a few howls and the closest response had to have been at least a mile away . . . no takers. Next spot we setup in a cattle pasture. After a few squaks on the calls, the cattle decide to come and investigate. The red light shows dozens of eyes closing in on the source of the distress sound. The cattle came close enought for us to smell them. I let out a long howl on the howler and the cattle took off on a dead run away from us. My fellow "hunters" thought that was so funny they gave out a long, guttoral laugh. It's too bad, because there were some coyotes howling at us from within 1 mile. Second stand was a bust.
On the third stand I was able to get the local yotes interested. I watched two sets of eyes cross the highway about 220 yards away and start working their way towards us. I notice the young guy starting to take aim and I whisper to him "let them come in close, they'll keep coming". And they would have kept coming, too, but the other fella's decide they should all turn around and look-see what I'm whispering about. Well, with all the movement those coyotes decided it wasn't worth the risk and they lit out of there. I whispered, in a rather deliberate tone, "NOISE CONTROL". Five minutes later, a single set of eyes appear from the opposite direction. He's just sitting there, not coming any closer. I lip squeak him a bit and still no movement. Since they rarely come in solo, I move the light ever so slight to the left and right of the eyes - keeping him in the outside halo - looking for any partner yotes. Well, one of the fellas saw that set of eyes and as soon as I start moving the light around a bit he says (no, he doesn't whisper, he SAYS) "there are some eyes over there, just sitting still". By the time he finished his sentence, there were no eyes over there just sitting still anymore. I learned a lesson - if you're bringing multiple hunters, they have to agree to maintain absolute noise control and they have to agree that someone other than themselves is going to be chief and they're going to be taking orders. They enjoyed the hunt, just seeing the eyes, but I was out for blood, not eyes. I promise, guys, my next post will include pictures of a freshly slaughtered coyote.

Ive already got a copy but i know my buddies would love to have this, so heres a little story about them.
Last night i took out 2 of my friends to give night calling a shot, since they hadnt ever gone before. All my lights were in my truck, so i gave up the gun and lugged around a cigg. plug spotlight and a battery back. We went to one spot and i caught a glimpsae of a red cutting from the soybeans into the woods, i motioned to dan to get ready.Oh i didnt have my caller so we ran out and got a 20 dollar casscreek to get us thru (yeah we were super prepared) so anyway dan pulls up my mossbierg and i call , and bam, this red come barreling down the path towards us. BOOM the dirt sprays up 3 feet in from of him. no fox. So i take them to my honeyhole and are halfway across the field when i get eyes on the hill. I start calling and he comes running, he hits the open field and before i could stop him BLAM cody rips loose on the 222. The stupid for just freezes , pop pop goes the 17 from dan, BLAM goes the .222 pop goes the 17. Meanwhile im laughing to hard to hold the light, and the fox is running in circles. So no fox. Finally the last stand, we called and one sat down up the path for a half an hour, finally coming down and peeking up over the top of the rise at us, cody missed just a hair high with the scattergun. Ive got them hooked, cody went out tonight and had one run right up on him. They both are frantic to get out there again, hopefully this time with some better lighting and my caller.
something about after the footballgame, ill shower and sprint to your truck, keep my clothes in there, i dunno dan, the whole idea of you naked and wet in my truck just doesnt seem like the best way to start hunting ?

ps any word when nightshift 2 is coming out?

Justin,

Tell Dan the Booms he will be hearing are not fireworks during halftime, I will have some fur in the truck till the games over and he can check out what they look like closeup....LOL

P.S. Better have him put some camo in his locker........

BEFORE the game to avoid the naked sprint to the truck.

My hunting partner, Kris, and I went after the coyotes again tonight. Our first stand looked like it would be a winner for sure. Just last night he and his wife heard coyotes in the coulee over which we had parked the pickup and the now infamous “gasoline tank stand”. I put the foxpro in charge of this stand, using some coyote locator sounds and then coyote distress. After a solid 20 minutes of zero interaction with said coyotes, I hit the human wind-powered howler. After just a few minutes we got the bark, bark, yip, howl . . . good night, you’re busted.

We drove about two miles to another coulee and setup for our second attempt. I went to the lung-powered howler right away this time. Immediately after my first howl we got the bark, bark, yip, yip-howl, you’re busted. Kris told me there were a ton of coyotes in the vicinity of where we were setup, so I waited a few minutes and dialed the foxpro into the coyote distress and used my ki-yi in combination. Boy did we get some response out of that! Two different packs of coyotes chimed in right away. One pack was up wind and to our right, the other pack up wind and way off to the left. After the two packs calmed down and it got quiet, Kris and I agreed we were probably going to get some action. Since the pack on the right would have more immediate access to our down-wind, I concentrated the light on that side (though I kept moving it from side to side, just less time on the left). After at least 7 minutes passed and we saw no eyes, I hit the ki-yi, solo this time, and kept looking. No response from any direction, so I kept concentrating the light on our right and to the down wind side. Just a few minutes later, there they were, one set of eyes almost directly down wind and a bit to the right. This guy had himself on a ridge about 150 yards away, sitting and watching the show. I gave him the lip squeak serenade and he trotted toward us, angling down wind. This is the first time I have called in a solo at night, so I wanted to wait until he got real close before stopping him just in case we had caught the interest of any of the other coyotes that were in the vicinity. As he angled to our down wind side, Kris asked me to stop him . . . I told him to let the coyote get closer, but Kris insisted I get him to stop because there was some tall buck brush between us and Mr. Wiley Coyote. I sounded off the blood-hound howl and he came to a stop about 75 yards away. Bang – Flop . . . dead coyote. I hit the ki-yi hard and loud for about 20 seconds, but no takers. As you can see in the first picture, we now have a rail that goes 3/4 the way around our “tanker stand”. We keep the open side up wind, giving the trigger man a very good chance to use the rail as a rifle rest. It’s been a long dry spell for us, so we were sure excited to put another coyote to sleep in the deep.
Kriscoyotenumber4b.jpg
You can see the extension cord I improvised for the LightForce 170. I just clipped the ends off an old extension cord and spliced a cigarette power adapter into both ends - didn't have to touch the LightForce.
Scottcoyote4.jpg

Back