Conibear traps......

butchtango

Anybody got any opinions on the conibear type traps???

New to this whole trapping thing and just tring to find out what works for what and how...Thanks

Also If I was going to target Coyotes and Bobcat....what would be the best setup?

Quote:
Anybody got any opinions on the conibear type traps??? If I was going to target Coyotes and Bobcat....what would be the best setup?

NOT CONIBEARS! Any conibear set-up that would kill a coyote would also kill a domestic dog. That's the last thing that anyone wants, not the trapper, and not the pet owner. Consider foot holds. Also, check your state laws, I highly doubt that large conibears (330's, 280's, even 220's) are legal for dryland sets. The big conibears, unless you live in remote alaskan bush, are pretty much restriced to underwater use for beaver and otter.

So what foot hold traps would you recommend? I was thinking some #3's or number 2's...would this hold a large coyote? Here where I live there are no natural predators for coyotes so they get very big. I have killed 50lb coyotes here in my area...not even a mile from my house.

Think number 2's and 3's would hold???

Probably going to stir up the pot here. As far as I know the coni can't be set within so many yards (miles)? from an inhabited building. I read it a few years back, but I use them on very remote ranches where I don;t have to worry about it. Here I go. Most cities have ordinances or leash laws meaning it is against the law for you to have your dog or cat running free tresspassing and chitting on someone else's private property. And yes my city has one for cats as well. My neighbors disregard this and let their fluffies run free, and they are continually killing the wild birds and rabbits that I feed and stinking up my flower beds for me to dig in, in my backyard which happens to be my private property. Still waiting on the day fluffy is pounded for trespassing. Anyway my opionion is if your cat is chitting in my backyard on my private property, that has a wooden fence around it,because YOU chose to disregard the law, then your fluffy is fair game and a coni is the best way to get fluffy on the next dumpster truck for a one way ride to the dump!! But do be careful with the coni they are awesome traps and will most likely kill any animal that puts it's head into one. I especially like the bucket set or a cubby set. Either one works on just about any animal.
A trick for the animals you mentioned that not many people use because its too cruel to an animal that you are trying to kill anyway go figure, is to get a large treble hook and hang it for a low tree limb that is flexible, lower for yotes a little higher for cats. Bait it with a piece of meat like rabbit, be sure to use a steel cable, and they will jump up to get at the meat and hook themselves either by the mouth or paw I have found. MAny a yote and cat that couldn't be trapped has fallen for this set for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The Conibear is illegal to use in almost all of the lower 48 in the sizes big enough to kill a coyote or bobcat (size 220 or above). Like defoxer said - it kills indiscriminately so they are a danger to domestic animals.

For cats and coyote get yourself a #3 foot trap http://www.minntrapprod.com Check out the MB550 or MB650 - what is nice about them is you can set them right out of the box with very little trap prep. A number 2 trap or above will definitely hold a coyote but anything above a three is usually illegal to trap with.

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of luck with all those coyotes in the area. Check out trapperman.com It is like this place only about trapping. Super helpful people.

I have heard of using treble hook for yotes and cats...however it is illegal here. Thanks for the info guys and yes I believe that I should have a fairly good trapping season as I am pretty much the only person(in the immediate area) that will be trapping them...put that together with no natural predators and I should see some fairly good numbers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and as far as mr.fluffy is concerned.....I say set several traps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Butch you need to check into your own state regs and set accordingly.

220's and 330 are used in many states legally for many different species.

220's on dry land for whatever species you can entice, 330's must be in water, beaver etc.

In SD and Ia all are legal with the 330 having the water restriction, Ia the 220 is max. on dry land, certain trap size restriction, I believe SD Ia , no more than a 7"by 7" conibear on dry land, regs are different everywhere but coni's are still legal!

Found this....

(3) Use of Conibear or Other Killing-Type Traps:

(A) No Conibear or other killing-type traps with a jaw spread greater than five inches (5") shall be used in any dry land set.

(B) Conibear or other killing-type traps with a jaw spread not greater than eight inches (8") may be set six feet (6') or more above ground level in buildings.

(C) Conibear or other killing-type traps of any size may be set under water.

There ya go Butch,

You can set 110's on dry land for whatever, mink etc.

You can use 220's in barns, sheds etc. off the ground for coons etc.

and can use anything bigger than 110's size underwater, beaver in 330's etc.

Each state is really different!!!!

Back