competition for us "other" folks

doggin coyotes

Seems like there's a friendly competition going on between various guys and their favorite "factory" made e-callers recently.
I happen to have a homemade e-caller consisting of a mp-3 player/digital voice recorder with azden remote and rechargable batteries that I would proudly put side by side with any of the "factory" callers being sold these days.
Don't get me wrong fellas, all (well most all) the e-callers available to consumers these days are damn nice machines and most certainly will or should call predators. In fact if I had about $500+ laying around getting moldy I'd most surely have one.
Trouble is I'm just an average guy trying to stretch the dough as far as I can (the wife says I'm a tightwad).I've got about 220 smackaroos in my caller and can't think of a dang thing it won't do that the big boys callers can. Besides it's a little bit gratifing to know I made this caller.
Anyways, I'm suggesting all us "other" e-caller users start our own little competition. At least that way we don't feel like the poor lil red headed step children of the board.
I'll start off with this. Got 1 female of this years new dumb pup crop right at daybreak this mornin.
Happy callin to all you "others".
dc

doggin coyotes, we used to use 8 tracks that sounded like hell and we called in lots of animals. As I'm sure you already know, most any type distress sound does the job, some may work better then others but they all work no matter what kind of caller they come from.

In todays world of predator calling there is lots of money to be had from lots of new people in the sport. Things they MUST HAVE according to some of the experts...is this kind of caller, it's the best...This type of camo...oh..and don't forget the scent cover, you got to have that, it goes on and on.

I was talking to an x pro bass fisherman I know who used to be a competition predator hunter. He told me bass fishing is the same thing as predator hunting. You got to have this kind of boat, that kind of rod and reel, this kind of plastic. The few guys that got most of the fish didn't use any of it lol. Same game different critter, it's all about money and advertizing, if you believe everything you read, I got a bridge to sell ya lol, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Good Hunting

Well hello Roy (aka barber), long time no talk. How the heck have ya been? Did you ever get to do much callin last winter? I hope the call is working out ok for ya. I sold 2 more last winter. One to a guy in Kansas and one to a guy up in Wyoming. They both love em and killed a bunch of late winter coyotes and a few cats with em.
Keep in touch guy.,
dc

I agree Danny, a good advertising campain is worth it's weight in gold. I'll add here that I killed truckloads of coyotes in the good old days with mouth calls. Then I got me one of those new fangled Johnny Stewart tape callers that took like 28 flashlight batteries to run it and I was in hog heaven. lol. Man how times have changed.
dc

Hi fellas. Hope you don't think we were trying to exclude anybody. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually may start a handcalling "friendly competition." I just didn't want to do an open e-call photo contest to avoid any kind of pissing matches.

Anybody that has called coyotes for any length of time (or like Danny, since before fire was invented /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) knows you don't have to have an e-caller to be successful. They are an accessory that gives you some other options is all. I use straight handcalls quite often. Both methods are fulfilling in different ways. Also use handcalls with an e-call. Still love my JS-512 too. Even if e-calls were unavailable, we would still be whacking predators. Heck, a plain ol' lipsqueak is pretty hard to beat. But he who dies with the most toys wins.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take care, Curt

Doggin Coyotes,,, no, I haven't been able to do much calling,, been bear hunting a lot, and a few medical problems, Hope to get with it as soon as deer season is over, was drawn for a doe tag. Glad to see you're still going strong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey DC:

I like, I like... But we'll need a prize, whattaya think? I'd suggest something used and useful...

Called a mountain lion I didn't photo or see last Tuesday. The scrub jays announced it though, and I found it's pawprints on top of my own hiking back out...s'pose that doesn't count for the contest though. Just thought it worth mentioning.

And regarding the fishing analogy, some of this recent hype about e-callers reminds me of a fad that hit the fishing scene along about 1972 with Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers. Anybody remember that? A see-lect group of tight-lipped guys suddenly had some big secret of how to fish with worms. One of the original infomercials, that was. Read their magazine and pretty soon you'd get to thinking that even if you were catching fish before and lots of them, you were doing it all wrong! Worm inflation, indeed.

LionHo

If you guys are serious about a calling contest I will offer a $100.00 of coupon for a caller and a set of three Spanker, JR., Predator calls.
I will post a picture of my boys calls ASAP. or you can go to www.Allpredatorcalls.com .
I am not trying to use this thread as a marketing tool, just trying to participate any way I can. If the $100.00 coupon does not go over well I will remove it and just offer the mouth calls. Please see this for what it is. I know their are guys going to take it the wrong way and make it out to be a negative instead of a positive.

I just ordered a new Foxpro but this is what I have been using.Its a car cassette player ran by 2 6V batteries mounted in am army ammo can.The remote is out of my kids remote controled car.I just hooked it in between the battery and the radio to turn it off and on,no volume control.Will work up to 100 yards under ideal conditions,about half that in heavy woods.My tapes were recorded free off of Varmint Al's site.Total cost ,about 10 bucks.It's a little heavy but it does call predators and I have had a lot of fun with it. Dan ,I hope these pictures work. Low rent wireless caller

Spanker there are some folks that take everything wrong. You made a fine and generous gesture and I will use the 100.00 well!!LOL
By the way saw the Loudmouth for the first time today, I am impressed. (and played it too.) but we was huntin deer.
Carl

Speaking of seeing one for the first time. I have an old e-caller probably over 30 years old It is a commercial caller * track can't remember how many battries it used I still have it packed away for 20+ years. I have several 8 track tapes left also if i can remember correct. I am getting a new LM in the next few days cause Spankersaid it was coming . But I was wondering if the old callers ever reached antique statis.
GMB

Spanker, OK, but first, I am an amateur caller, I know nothing about electronics, and I have limited exposure to FP and LM.
No, the Loudmouth does not look like the FP. Similar yes, the same NO. I am old and half deaf, to me the LM "seems" a little more clear in sound.
(I am an old stereo freak and DO have some experience in evaluating stereo gear.) However I have not spent a lot of time OR listened to the two side by side. I would love to, hint hint, LOL.
The sound recording system for the LM seems VERY cool, and very easy. (I have spent a LOT of time recording stereo sounds). For a Predator Caller I think both units are FAR BETTER than needed. If the dang things will come to my calling they will come to many things. LOL.
Were I to buy one tomorrow, I would buy the Loudmouth. Mainly because of the changable sound cards, and as it is a complete package, I hate having to buy extra parts or more stuff to make the MAIN thing I bought, work to it's potential.
However that said, anyone wanting to give a "poor poor pitiful man" (that being me) either one will gain my undying gratitude, I also want a Cronk Howler!!!!! lmao.
For the record, I have never met Wayne or the FP builders, I have met Curt and he is a good man. I truly believe Wayne is a good man also. None of you have any reason to believe me or do you know me. I hold honesty, truth and heart in the highest regard, none of which we could have without God. I think those of you who have met me know that. What I have said here is my opinion and nothing more or less, and yep I am willing to stand behind it.
Carl

doggin coyotes, If you get a chance e-mail me at yote@cgtek.com. I would be interested in knowing how/what you put together to make your home built rig. Would love to have a LM but up to this point it is way outside our family budget. Appreciate it...LC

bofire,

If it would help you decide and put you over the edge to get a Loudmouth I'd be more than willing to let you try mine out for a couple weeks. (Of course I'd prefer it be a time when I'm not going to use it).

Let me know.

-John

JohnnyP that is one of the kindest and most trusting offers I have ever received. I will remember your name. You ever want to call in Wash. let me know. I was born in Oregon and alot of my family still live there, around Eugene.
One thing about these boards is there are a LOT of great folks here.
Thank you for the offer
CArl

Hey all you homebuilt fellers--let's get this thread back on track and discuss specifics of "OUR" contest.

I'd be perfectly willing to put up a bottle of Mountain Lion-In Heat Urine from In Heat Scents. That's in keeping with my "used and useful" philosophy. And because I'm feeling especially flush this morning, I'll also toss in a Speco SP5 horn, spray painted green--AND a CD I burned myself, of ML vocalizations cadged off the web.

My suggestion for what should win--and this is merely a suggestion--is something other than a simple a body count of dead 'yotes. How about "most unusual response" (e.g., a bobcat that curls up in yer lap and goes to sleep. Or a GH Owl that flys overhead and drops a skunk in yer lap. Something like that).

And it should go without saying (but I suppose I'd better spell it out anyway) that factory-caller called critters would not qualify for this contest. Sorry, fellas, but we've got to draw the line somewhere.

With prizes like these, however, we'll probably need a whole panel of steely-eyed judges to ferret out Those Who Would Usurp Our Contest. Judges who won't stand for some Sneaky Pete Bunny-Looper downloading a Predation track to another MP3 device, then try put it over on us in a shameless attempt to make off with the goods.

Spanker, you still in? How about you, Curt?

LionHo

I'm in,
Only problem I have is, where I live coyotes are not present. Every once in a while a trapper will pick up a coyote. That trapper is usually me. I have to go north 3-4 hours for coyotes and that won't happen this season.
I will gladly substitute Red Fox for coyotes.
But regardless, I will participate any way I can.

Hi guys:

Walt Betts has sent along two very fine custom-made hand calls (one zebrawood, another purpleheart, very nice tones!) with the following note:

"I know these are not e-call related but I think they will work just fine for some kind of prize for the home-built e-call contest--you can never have too many goobers to give away.
It's a start anyway. Good luck and good hunting to you.
--Walt Betts, aka NVWalt"

This ponying-up makes it official--a contest for homebuilts only! Now, what are the rules???

(Should we perhaps have a clearly-defined non-refundable entry fee of $10 or so, 100% of which would go towards helping defray the costs of running this board?)

LionHo

Back