Comp on my new AR too loud to hunt with

It's a 223/556, dump the brake. I went thru the same thing. I ended up going with a standard A2 flash hider for my guns, until I started with suppressors. I now run Griffin Armament flash hiders or their Hammer Comp which is a cross between an A2 and brake. It's not bad, but still loud on a 12" or 16" barrel.

I now run a GA flash hider on my DPMS G2 16" .308 for the same reason. The concussion was terrible when not wearing hear pro.

I bought a 16" upper when they first started talking about the HPA and figured sense Don T. got elected ... Just maybe this will happen
Now you can see in the upper left that I'm from Illinois so most would say that is wishful thinking and I agree but never hurts to dream a little

Have a 22" with a AAC flash hider and another 20" with the Kaw Valley linear comp both are not to loud but even with the KV linear comp on the 16" it's just to loud

Called a good friend and local gunsmith that's always willing to try anything safe and told him I wanted a aluminum Bloop Tube 6" long but rather then clamp on I wanted it threaded 1/2-28
He didn't have a tap that size so he made it to fit over a 5 port muzzle brake with a set screw to hold it in place

Haven't tried it yet but he did put it on a 16" barreled AR he has and said it did quiet it down

Bloop_Tube_001.jpg

I must be the odd duck, but I guess that is nothing new...

I prefer electronic ear muffs, especially when hunting as they amplify the sound around and I can hear better. I do not have hearing damage from heavy equipment or from shooting for a lifetime without hearing protection. I have a bolt gun that has a 22" barrel and it is braked, and I will double up at the range and turn off the muffs.

I predator hunt with my AR, suppressed, and still wear my Peltors. I can hear better, and they keep my ears warm, which means I can wear less bulky layers.

What a dork I am.

ETA, when I predator hunt with my shotgun, which is more and more these days, I have to wear ears of some sort. That 18.5" shotty is a freaking cannon.

Last edited:
I have levang linear brakes on all my under 20" barrels because I coyote call with my buddies and I don't want to blow their eardrums out either. I see it as a courtesy to whoever is sitting nearby.

Back