Cold -rugged -deep wilderness hunting clothes ?

two words Artic Shield. this stuff is great for cold. plus it does not make you feel like you gained 10lbs by putting it on.

On a hunt in Alaska a few years ago, fleece undergarments and wool outerwear sure felt good on those days of freezing rain, which was everyday, by the way. On the long hikes into the mountains, the wool top would come off and store into my backpack. My fleece top would shed perspiration and the water would bead up and run off like a windshield treated with Rain ex. The inside of the fleece top felt dry. The guide saw all the water beading up on my shirt and asked where I got it and what it was made out of. He said he would defiantly have to try one out. Wool is a bit tough to dry out, especially in a continually damp environment, but I did it by sleeping with it on. By morning it will be fairly dry. kyray

The Cabella's Wooltimate clothing is a blend of wool and fleece with a wind blocking lining to stop the wind from blowing through. Works real good. Ron

I am always looking for something to replace wool. Product development is always trying to replicate or improve what nature offers. Some products excell in one area but fail in others. I love my Smartwool long johns, with the only way to improve is by adding more weight or silk. I have tried nearly every sock made and wool or wool/silk wins year round wet or dry. Wool pants are great, quiet & warm, but in warmer weather I have swithed to Gamehide which is very very comfortable plus Super Quiet. in a good design. http://www.gamehide.com/product/category.cfm?categoryid=18 My latest discovery for wet weather is Rivers West pants with a waterproof guarantee, improved fabric, new design(zip waterproof vents), very quiet. I tried them on, the qualities & features were good. Just need to decide which pattern. May get them at Cabela's. http://www.riverswest.com/static/index.html

I have used both wool and gamehide and I wear both with great respect. My only complaint about wool is that it gets heavy when it is wet. I live in PA but hunt in the mountains of Maine every year. My brother wore carhart bibs one year in cold and deep snow. Unfortunately he got very cold very early and when he returned to camp his bibs stood alone by the fire until they thawed. That was the last time they went to Maine. He wears them at work for the power company but no more for hunting.
I layer with wicking long underware of silk or polyprop. with a Wind Stopper sweater and finally a cover of wool or goretex. I usually stay dry and warm whether walking or standing. Did I say a good wicking under sock and a comfortable wool on top? All of my hunting clothes are good quality but I do know there are labels, fabrics, and advertisements for more expensive ware but my clothes combinations keep me warm and dry.

I use a fleece product from a company called Mountain Surf (mountiansurf.com). They make their products for the white water rafters. This stuff is made to be used in freezing rivers. I use it at work all winter long. Normally the temps around here range from 30-(-20) and normally raining. On the construction site I am normally in half the layers that the other carpenters are. Pair of fleece pants and non insulated carhartt bibs.

If you get the stuff with wind-stopper it will change most peoples minds about any other product. The best example I can give on mountain surfs products was when my mother jumped into a small frozen pond to rescue a dog that had fallen in. She had on a pair of fleece pants under her carharrt's. Even though the carharrt's were frozen stiff her legs weren't cold at all.

I would be most concerned about making too much noise with something like goretex. With something likethis I'd think you could wear just about anything underneath so long as it didn't have an incredibly erradict light dark pattern that showed through.

All my cold weather gear is Johnson woolen mills.
Johnson vt is just down the road from me (14 mi).I have had the same red and black checked coat and grey wool pants for 20 yrs.(yea getting a little tight)
gortex and fleese is great stuff but i doubt it has the longevity of wool.I wear carthart bibs when it is above freezing but if they get wet and freeze they are like
walking around with cardboard pants on(noisy) .
Maybe it is just a vermont thing but most folks around here
wear wool when its cold and blowin.Check the posters ID's
hear. see where they are from. Cartharts might work well
when it is cold in arizona .But Like Einsteins mother used to say to him when he was a kid "Life is all about relatives"

If you have that MTO 50 bib, don't set down in standing water or you butt will get wet! It will leak around the back pockets as they don't have any water protection in those spots.

I would look into some of the 4 in 1 suits avaiable. Like the bib type over the pants. I set out in wind chills of -27 all night checking some of the top brands out there. What I found out is they all pretty much keep you warm to a point but your hands and feet are the problem. After the cold test, set out all night in some bad thunderstorms with 30+ mph winds and driving heavy rain. They all would keep you dry but the fleece type ones such as Browning hold water and get real heavy. The slick ones such as Columbia are noisey as the slick is for repelling heavy snow. The fleece types retain snow as well cause it will stick. I also set under the edge of roofs where the water would pour off the house. Will beat you pretty good but all stayed dry. This is where I found out that you don't set in standing water with the MTO-50. My butt got wet real fast!

Wool and fleece combo sounds like good combo but have never used the wool in heavy downpours. Will it repel water like this?

guys,

After reading all the posts, I would think that the UnderArmor cold weather gear would work to some extent if you layered with wool and other garments as well?

John

I have Gore Tex MT050, Dry Plus, and wool garments for hunting.
When I hunt in the big woods where you can find yourself in a world of trouble with deep snow and sub-zero temps in the blink of an eye, I only wear WOOL. Beagle wear to be specific. Beagle Wear
It has already been stated by a bunch of NorEasters that wool is the only way to go, and Beaglewear is the best of the best in that dept. Rugged as heck, comfortable, warm and DRY. Excellent for hunting where the snow clings to every inch of the forest.
Best of all, there is no need to layer so your freedom of movement is not impeded with diffent garments bunching together at your joints.

Back