CO Bobcat Trapping - Looking for Mentor

ATL

Hello,

I am in the Fort Collins area and new to live trapping cats. If anyone is willing to show me the ropes on how to trap these things in Eastern CO I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Adam

Looking for someone to teach you how to trap high value cat near you is going to be very difficult. I would look into your state trappers assc. for a trappers ed. class. Purchase some books on live/cage trapping and see if there are YouTube videos.

Google "Live trapping bobcat instructions" there are numerous options.

I watched a bunch of really good informational YouTube videos to learn how to trap them. There are a couple of videos that walk you through it...it's so easy. I caught mine making a trench style set with a hole filled with scent and bait. We can't use feathers in our state or within 25 feet so i had to get creative with my visual attractors. I ended up with a nice bobcat with a front double pad catch in my trap 10 days before season close! Never trapped them prior. YouTube is your best bet. It worked for me. Biggest thing is you need to trap on sign or in an area where they frequently travel or your wasting your time. I started seeing bobcat on cameras for the first time ever three years ago on my property and also had one run up to me calling turkeys so put in for a tag. Been hunting the same area since the early 80s and never had cats in the area till a couple of years ago. I get one on camera every time I pull the chip to check photos now. They need to get away from a draw system so I can rid them before they decrease my turkey, Wood cock, and grouse population.

This was kind of the set up I used but stuck my trap out farther from the hole because I had some fox tracks around them but wouldnt commit and walk all the way in to investigate …

I also watched a lot of coon creek’s videos. Once again if there are no Bobcat in the area and your not trapping on sign or a pathway they travel imo your wasting your time.

Last edited:
A lot of Bobcat sign scat and tracks going under the fence, so I hung a snare, Caught a Badger, next morning walked up to shoot him with my pistol and fell in the huge hole up to my waist he had dug under the grass, he made me scramble out of the hole like my tail was on fire while he tried to eat my back pockets off.

YLXpRTN.jpg

hQfLGdf.jpg

Murl B.

A lot of Bobcat sign scat and tracks going under the fence, so I hung a snare, Caught a Badger, next morning walked up to shoot him with my pistol and fell in the huge hole up to my waist he had dug under the grass, he made me scramble out of the hole like my tail was on fire while he tried to eat my back pockets off.

YLXpRTN.jpg

hQfLGdf.jpg

Murl B.

Trapping is placing the trap where the animal WILL BE. To do that you need to know where it's been, what attracts it and what spooks it.

Find a toilet and put a set beside it and blend it in. Best I’ve done is 3 off the toilet and 2 in a scent post set caddy corner from it. And an even caught a fox in the toilet. 5 cats and a fox in 2 weeks time.
Disclaimer: Southern cats and we have about as many of them as we do possums, lol.

When I was a young man Colorado paid a bounty on Mountain Lions and Bobcats, now that the Liberals own Colorado every thing there is a PET.

Back