Cluster Coyote

DoubleUp

Started the stand with some howls and then switched over to coyote pup sounds. I saw this coyote first about 1,100 yds. out on the howls. He showed mixed interest on a couple of pup sounds but was still working his way toward me. I went back to the howls and that helped him refocus. When he started ambling again, I went to some older pup sounds, and that helped him put the mice and rats out of his mind temporariIy. When he got to within about 200 yds. he went back to chasing rodents again.

I switched over to a rabbit sound and that turned him on quick, in fact too quick. So, I mute the call trying to slow him. I had to wait for him to clear some houses and there was brush between me and him as well. Then I tried to stop him with my usual growl, but he was too close and it spooked him. Growled again and he stopped. That's when the fun began. I pulled the trigger and the rifle didn't fire. I lifted the bolt and put it back down and growled him to another stop, same result as the rifle didn't fire again.

This time I cycled the action and ejected the shell for a new one. He is now at 110 yds. and I yelp him to a 3rd stop. My 22-250 fires this time and the 50 gr. V-max finds the mark for a DRT. It was trying to be a cluster for sure, but I managed to pull it out of the disaster bin. He was a pretty decent looking coyote even with the winter fur gone and I'd guess mid-30's in weight. The bullet was a pass through as you can see in the picture at the end of the video. The firing pin did not fall either time as the primer was not dented at all.

Last edited:
Back