Close calls with snakes in your area?

22magnum22

This is an Oklahoma copperhead. Picture taken late Tuesday evening. They like to lay out in the roadway late in the day, I guess to heat up. They pop like a bubblegum bubble when you run them over!
IMG_20240430_203300650.jpg

When I lived in Oklahoma, you would see hundreds of brown tarantulas crossing the roads during mating season at night....you wanta talk about popping like bubblegum when ran over :)

I coonhunted in crawfish fishfarms (water was only 9" deep, took a cast in a PKC Pro Hunt in 1997 and the dogs treed in the middle of an island in the crawfish pond, the other cast members commented about all the crawfish eyes, you should have seen their faces when I told them that they were snakes.

All the dogs heads were swollen by the end of the hunt from snake bites.

Last edited:
Plenty of them here. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. The only rattlers I've killed in the last 25 years were one in the back yard where the kids played and one in the chicken coop. Out in the desert they get a pass from me.

I've been lucky, I fish a river where rattlesnakes are somewhat common in the area, and some copperheads, only ran into one rattlesnake in almost 60 years and it gave me ample warning and posed no threat to me.

All the dogs heads were swollen by the end of the hunt from snake bites.
WOW
My hearing has gotten to the point that I am completely deaf to the sound 9f rattlers.
Me too
Must be a special species of rattler there Clarence, they have no head!:ROFLMAO:
That is a rare breed only found on the ranches I hunt down here.;)

Man I hate snakes
Times 2
Out in the desert they get a pass from me.
No free passes down here

They don't usually bother me much. I do bother them a lot. Not kill them or anything. I just like to antagonize them. This was me and @steve garrett playing with one last year. Sadly, I can't hear them rattle anymore. Would have never know this one was around if Steve hadn't heard it. Even up close and playing with it, I never heard it. I can't hear it on the video either but everyone else says they can.

- DAA

I can hear it. I've lost hearing in my left ear, it seems to be a specific range. I can hear in it but not some things. Like my alarm clock, I can only hear that with my right ear now.

I went to see Kansas in concert last february. there were parts I was watching Rich play guitar, where i could hear some notes & while watching him play could not hear others. It was a very odd experience but not entirely unexpected.

I haven’t run across a rattler in years. Cottonmouths rule the woods I inhabit. I will say they’ve been given a bad rap though. They are NOT aggressive like people say, they’re actually one of the most docile I’ve run across as far as venomous snakes are concerned.
They generally just show you their namesake if you get too close. I’ve only been struck by one, thank God for snakeboots, and that’s because he was in a weed field and I stepped on him. As soon as he struck he got the heck outta Dodge.
I see that mouth sometimes at night when walking in the dark while thermal hunting.

IMG_2309_Original.jpeg

35380900641_c047cd597b_o_Original.png

I’m not a snake killer by choice and leave them alone unless on working properties. Doesn’t do well for clients or dogs getting struck. Ain’t lost a dog to one yet, but it puts them out of the hunt and they swell up like they’re gonna pop.

No copperheads or water mocassins down here, rattlesnakes and corral and neither one are ordinarily aggressive, however over the years I have had two out of many encounters that sure wanted a piece of me.

AL has cottonmouths, copperheads, coral snakes & 3 kinds of rattlesnakes that I know of, timber, pygmy and eastern diamondback. I've been told that where I'm at in Mobile county does not have any copperheads but we do have alligators & recently a tiger was loose in a city park, lots of fun to be had

AL has cottonmouths, copperheads, coral snakes & 3 kinds of rattlesnakes that I know of, timber, pygmy and eastern diamondback. I've been told that where I'm at in Mobile county does not have any copperheads but we do have alligators & recently a tiger was loose in a city park, lots of fun to be had
Darn, Stu, some guys have all the fun. :ROFLMAO: Don't envy you one bit!

Back