Cleaning an extra dirty barrel

Originally Posted By: BartrakNo i have a steel rod.
ouch!!! i've heard of some guys bein anal about using a brass brush... a brass brush aint gonna hurt nothing IF you get your primer/powder fouling out with a soaked patch first... but a steel rods gonna eventually do some damage, hope your running a rod guide, just sayin, some guys don't care but in the long run, its worth takin a look at.

Sometimes the brush leaves dirt in the barrel. I would pick up a new nylon brush, wipe the cleaning rod down and put some solvent down the barrel then run a few clean patchs.

I used the CR10 as per instructions on bottle and guess what I have a clean barrel. I used hoppe's 9 after the CR10 then jaged it dry and applied Rem oil.Can get back to working up a good load for it now.

While I do clean my bores, I think we go way overboard on the cleaning thing. Ive got a old Mosin Nagent 91/30 that I doubt has ever had the barrel cleaned till I got it and it will shoot lights out! My Grandads old Model 700 .270 is the same way, he used to win alot of "turkey" shoots with this gun and it will still group around an inch! I personally think that a gun is either a shooter or it aint, I bought a new Savage 110 in 30.06 and the best it would do was 2" clean bore and all.

Back