Classic Calls

oscar

I thought it would be interesting to find out what you would consider a classic call. The only criterion would be the calls effectiveness and age. Lets say the call would have to be at least 10 years old (the manufacturing of it). Older would be better, but lets start here. What do you call collectors and hunters say. Oscar
My choice would be the Weems Wild Call.

Which one IFB? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oscar, I'm going to hold off a bit before I speak up and see if some of the fellas that I look up to for this kind of information show up.

Todd

To be sure Circe would be considered a Classic, but which ones?
Wooden straight walled calls or possible the tapered walls?
Could it possibly be the Circe dowel mouth or nipple calls?
Then came the plastic Circe calls in the 70's. Would you consider the green, red, black or white Circe plastic calls the Classic?

I'm just funnin' with you.

Other calls that paved the way for Circe that I consider Classics would be the Pied Piper and Wayne Weems connection.
Dwight Thomas made a quality call that undoubtedly is considered a Classic.

P.S. Olt probably sold the most, yet was probably the cruddiest call ever made for predators.
Should it be a Classic? Probably so, just because cars like the Metropolitan and Edsel are considered a Classics.

A few calls are considered highly collectible and require deep pockets (right Todd???) even tough they are no widely known and would probably not qualify as a classic.

Thompson would be a decent candidate as well as Herters, but then again the hidden story on Herters would disqualify it for inclusion in my opinion.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head where hair once was.

Circe would write the book on Classic Calls in my opinion, but many as Jay says would make the grade as Classic. Circe had such a nice line of calls in appearance, performance and thier involvement in the sport.

Classic, vintage, history maker, pioneer.....

these terms all bring different names to mind. Pied Piper was really a pioneer as was Weems. Are they "classic"? I don't think so. Definatly vintage and a history maker (and collectable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good Post!

Paul

Would these be classics
fc9e8ceo.jpg

Yoter got my first old Circe. the wife got it on Ebay. MVP-4 Professional model. It's the three sound one. getting Hooked on collecting. it sound's pretty good. I would say it's a classic. Rick

I first blew this Olt #33 about thirty five years ago. I called the first coyote I ever called with it. Can't even rember the pup that got a hold of it but I think it was a Lab. td
082315.jpg

Its not you bud its the image station.

Tom, The Olt 22 & 33 are two of my favorite classics. Needless to say that would make the Magnums about the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Todd

The one I had in my hands that made me feel the closest to the old timers who pioneered commercial calls was the Pied Piper cow horn!
Yoter

My post referred to the Olt T-20. Only call I ever had that made coyotes, cats, people and cars head the other way. Never did call anything in with one. The only reason I would consider it a classic is because of successful marketing.

Probably the neatest innovation was the Weems AllCal with the screw off body. Prior to that was Thomas' Con-Vert-A-Calls.

That Olt 22 and 33 you have are the result of a winning lawsuit against the makers of Magnums. It's possible that you may have an Olt call from Magnum stock with the Olt decal placed over the magnum gold label.

What is the hidden story you fellas are thinking about?

The enduring classics due to styling, design and functionality would be Weems and Circe hands-down. Circe because they still make them today under the Lohman label and Weems because it is probably the most copied desin.

I personally would eliminate any call that I consider a cross-over from traditional duck call makers who developed a line of predator calls because they saw a buck to be made in a sporting activity they were not familiar with. These calls over the years are reletively easy to discern.

If collector value of a call is factored into the Classic definition, there might be a few calls that qualify that you guys have never heard of. Calls like coffin calls, Circe Fatboys, Petty, Cub Creek, Tex Wirtz, Leons, Puma, HAR KEN, Abercrombie, Huntrmate, Rusty Davis and Moffitt to name just a few.

corrected for spellin' mistakes

Back