Chipotle Grill gun ban...

Well, IMO here's a classic example of how one bad decision hurts a cause.

Like my dad used to say to us as kids, "Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD."

A lesson that those jerkbaits in the picture obviously never learned, but REALLY need to. I wonder if FatBoy and Little Man considered what would happen if they walked in to that place and 6 cops happened to be sitting inside having lunch. At the very least, FatBoy and Little Man would have left with a burrito in their underwear.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseWell, IMO here's a classic example of how one bad decision hurts a cause.

Like my dad used to say to us as kids, "Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD."

Grouse

thumbup.gif

IMO CCW makes a lot more sense. I've never seen the need nor the benefit of open carry. The type of behavior demonstrated by these two stooges will always result in a very predictable reaction:

Quote:
Sonic, Chili’s join restaurants with no-guns policy

Published June 01, 2014 • FoxNews.com

Two more restaurant chains are adding their names to the list of eateries that have adopted a no-guns policy.

Sonic Drive-In and Chili's Grill & Bar issued statements Friday asking patrons to leave their guns at home.

USA Today reported Saturday that the announcements were prompted by recent demonstrations by open-carry activists who brought rifles and shotguns into Sonic, Chili's and Chipotle Mexican Grill outlets in Texas.

"We recognize that the open carry of firearms in restaurants creates an uncomfortable atmosphere and is not permitted under many local liquor laws," Chili’s Dallas-based parent said in statement. "So, we kindly ask that guests refrain from openly carrying firearms into our restaurants and we will continue to follow state and local laws on this issue."

The Oklahoma-based Sonic said: "We've considered the views and desires of our customers and employees that staff the drive-ins across the country. Accordingly, we're asking that customers refrain from bringing guns onto our patios or into our indoor dining areas. With respect to the storage of guns in vehicles, we ask that our customers continue to honor local laws."

USA Today said Chipotle implemented its no-gun policy after protests two weekends ago by the gun rights group Open Carry Texas.

Other places where guns aren’t welcome are Starbucks, Wendy's, Jack In The Box, and Applebee’s.

Regards,
hm

I totally agree with hm1996... CCW is the only way I carry... Oklahoma legalized open carry one and a half years ago... Even though I don't carry openly I like the law... I have had instances where eating out I look down and part of my gun is visible beneath an untucked shirt. The open carry law covers me in that situation...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I totally agree with hm1996... CCW is the only way I carry... Oklahoma legalized open carry one and a half years ago... Even though I don't carry openly I like the law... I have had instances where eating out I look down and part of my gun is visible beneath an untucked shirt. The open carry law covers me in that situation...

The last Texas legislature took care of the unintentional display of a firearm by CCW. I suppose there could be a point of contention between the CCW and LEO but the statute was changed w/intent to cover accidental display.

Quote:Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
You can't carry into Chili's and Applebee's in NM anyway because they typically serve hard liquor. I don't frequent Jack in the Box, never seen a Chipotle's, and you couldn't force me to pay Starbuck's prices for coffee, so no need to visit there. We do hit Sonic with the kids, but it's a drive in only deal here so no worries. I hadn't noticed the sign at Wendy's, but it's been a while. So these idiots haven't cost me much yet, but dang it's frustrating to see this negative backlash.

Signs in Nevada mean jack squat. Concealed means concealed. If they ask you to leave due to poor concealment, then do so quietly. And then shame on you for not properly concealing your weapon.

I still think we all need to start complaining about homosexuals in these restaurants make us uncomfortable. And, see if they have the balls to ban homosexuals.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1I still think we all need to start complaining about homosexuals in these restaurants make us uncomfortable. And, see if they have the balls to ban homosexuals.

thumbup.gif

Sounds like a plan to me.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

i saw that the NRA published a statement about the two idiots and texas open carry, the statement echos what everyone is saying here. yet, texas open carry has come out condemning the NRA.

the damage from these two idiots continues.

if two gay guys went into a restaurant together, i don't care. but, if they start groping each other and being indecent then i hope they would be asked to leave.

Originally Posted By: 6724i saw that the NRA published a statement about the two idiots and texas open carry, the statement echos what everyone is saying here. yet, texas open carry has come out condemning the NRA.

the damage from these two idiots continues.

if two gay guys went into a restaurant together, i don't care. but, if they start groping each other and being indecent then i hope they would be asked to leave.

thumbup.gif

I can't get the thought out of my mind that perhaps some of those in Bloomberg's camp may have infiltrated the ranks of OCT? One way or the other, OCT is definately hurting the cause!

Quote:On Friday the NRA reaffirmed it’s commitment to the Second Amendment while asking gun rights supporters to think twice before descending upon restaurants while open-carrying weapons.

Via The NRA:

Here at NRA, we are big fans of responsible behavior … legal mandates, not so much. We think the Founders of this country were right to trust its people with the freedom to make their own choices. We also think they were wise to build checks into our constitutional system so that one view could not easily dominate the others and so that officials could be held accountable for their decisions.

As gun owners, whether or not our decisions are dictated by the law, we are still accountable for them. And we owe it to each other to act as checks on bad behavior before the legal system steps in and does it for us. If we exercise poor judgment, our decisions will have consequences. …

The second example comes to us from the Lone Star State, which is second to none for its robust gun culture. We applaud Texans for that, but a small number have recently crossed the line from enthusiasm to downright foolishness.

Now we love AR-15s and AKs as much as anybody, and we know that these sorts of semiautomatic carbines are among the most popular, fastest selling firearms in America today. Texas, independent-minded and liberty-loving place that it is, doesn’t ban the carrying of loaded long guns in public, nor does it require a permit for this activity. Yet some so-called firearm advocates seem determined to change this.

Recently, demonstrators have been showing up in various public places, including coffee shops and fast food restaurants, openly toting a variety of tactical long guns. Unlicensed open carry of handguns is legal in about half the U.S. states, and it is relatively common and uncontroversial in some places.

Yet while unlicensed open carry of long guns is also typically legal in most places, it is a rare sight to see someone sidle up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms.

Let’s not mince words, not only is it rare, it’s downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one’s cause, it can be downright scary. It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates.

As a result of these hijinx, two popular fast food outlets have recently requested patrons to keep guns off the premises. In other words, the freedom and goodwill these businesses had previously extended to gun owners has been curtailed because of the actions of an attention-hungry few who thought only of themselves and not of those who might be affected by their behavior. To state the obvious, that’s counterproductive for the gun owning community.

More to the point, it’s just not neighborly, which is out of character for the big-hearted residents of Texas. Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners. That’s not the Texas way. And that’s certainly not the NRA way.

Here is Open Carry Texas’s response to the NRA:

It is unfortunate that an organization that claims to be dedicated to the preservation of gun rights would attack another organization fighting so hard for those rights in Texas. The fact is that the NRA hasn’t been able to get open carry passed in Texas since the right was first taken away from us when Jim Crow laws were passed in the 1860s, making us one of only 5 states where it is still illegal.

The NRA has refused to learn for themselves how Open Carry Texas (OCT) conducts itself other than what the liberal media and Bloomberg funded gun control extremists have falsely portrayed. The real ignorance in their statement is that it was completely unnecessary. OCT – along with Come And Take It Texas, Texas Carry and Gun Rights Across America – has already changed its methods and the whole world is aware of that.

The more the NRA continues to divide its members by attacking some aspects of gun rights instead of supporting all gun rights, the more support it will lose. Already, OCT members are posting pictures of themselves cutting up their life membership cards.

If they do not retract their disgusting and disrespectful comments, OCT will have no choice but to withdraw its full support of the NRA and establish relationships with other gun rights organizations that fight for ALL gun rights, instead of just paying them lip service the way the NRA appears to be doing.

The NRA should have instead released a statement to the effect that it applauds our groups for coming together and finding new methods to promote safe and responsible open carry.

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/video...-texas-responds

Regards,
hm

Just catching up on this myself - I agree I wouldn't be surprised that these two are leftist lackies furthering their cause by showing "radical" firearms display in a public place.

Food for thought - considering my above opinion, go back and read through this thread with an open mind, and listen to what, we, as staunch gun rights and owners are now saying (i'm gonna paraphrase here to save space) - "there is no NEED for...."; "because of recent mass shootings the SIGHT of weapons...."; etc., etc. I agree fully with the sentiment posted in this thread above, however I will submit that even some of the most staunch of us gun supporters are becoming influenced by the leftist agenda in our thinking over time. I remember people thinking nothing of gun racks filled in truck windows, rifles and shotguns in cars and trucks of the high school parking lot awaiting the final bell to go hunting on the way home, hunters stopping at the local stores, banks, Post Offices, etc. to do their business while in town for lunch during deer season while having a pistol strapped on, etc. And no one even blinked.....nor did anyone die. In fact, death was prevented to some extent by such display....no one even thought about it. I submit that we are changing slowly to become them. I submit this to promote thought, not start an argument.

It's a pretty big jump from long gun visible in gun racks in vehicles to having an AK or an AR slung across your chest inside a restaurant. Especially if you feel the need to handle it.

Originally Posted By: Mike BJust catching up on this myself - I agree I wouldn't be surprised that these two are leftist lackies furthering their cause by showing "radical" firearms display in a public place.

Food for thought - considering my above opinion, go back and read through this thread with an open mind, and listen to what, we, as staunch gun rights and owners are now saying (i'm gonna paraphrase here to save space) - "there is no NEED for...."; "because of recent mass shootings the SIGHT of weapons...."; etc., etc. I agree fully with the sentiment posted in this thread above, however I will submit that even some of the most staunch of us gun supporters are becoming influenced by the leftist agenda in our thinking over time. I remember people thinking nothing of gun racks filled in truck windows, rifles and shotguns in cars and trucks of the high school parking lot awaiting the final bell to go hunting on the way home, hunters stopping at the local stores, banks, Post Offices, etc. to do their business while in town for lunch during deer season while having a pistol strapped on, etc. And no one even blinked.....nor did anyone die. In fact, death was prevented to some extent by such display....no one even thought about it. I submit that we are changing slowly to become them. I submit this to promote thought, not start an argument.

Understand where you're coming from, Mike, and agree that this country has changed over the last 60-70 years. The fact that today most folks have moved off the farm and are now living in the cities. They have never been around guns and are fearful of them causing the scales to tip toward more restrictions on firearms.

I grew up in S. Texas and time was that there was a gun rack in every pickup and at least one rifle rode in that rack. I use my truck almost exclusively for hunting and had to build a rack over the console as you can't find a rack to fit a pickup today.

Quote:It's a pretty big jump from long gun visible in gun racks in vehicles to having an AK or an AR slung across your chest inside a restaurant. Especially if you feel the need to handle it.

Those folks who were not raised around firearms already have a natural fear of them and, as Stu said, anyone brandishing a firearm (especially a super scary "assault" rifle)at their favorite restaurant can spook them.

As for the wisdom of pushing for open carry, I view the actions of the two clowns, apparently condoned by OCT, to be akin to the bully walking up to the wimpiest kid on the playground in front of a crowd and daring him to knock the chip off his shoulder. Chipoltle, Sonic, Wendy's, et al reacted just as the wimp and "knocked the chip off".

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishIt's possible, but my bet is that it's just 2 young, enthusiastic guys who didn't think through just what it was they were doing.

Maybe they learned something from it...

Having worked in the Prison system, I learned one simple fact. As you mention above, they didn't think through what they were doing. That boils down to poor impulse control. THAT is what separates the incarcerated/previously incarcerated from the non-incarcerated.

If these two oxygen thieves sat a little while longer in their mom's basement and thought through the implications and repercussions of their actions, this and countless other threads on countless other forums would not have occurred.

There are times we all want to "smack a knot in someone's head" but because we are capable of forethought and understand consequences, we don't. These chuckle-heads have not had a bad idea they can remember. Like canines, they live in the minute.

I have been out of the loop and just read of this earlier today;
First post by Stu, explained it good for me..
blink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mike BJust catching up on this myself - I agree I wouldn't be surprised that these two are leftist lackies furthering their cause by showing "radical" firearms display in a public place.

Not arguing your point Mike, I too grew up in the day when every pickup had a gun rack in it. They did get a little excited if we drug 'em to school with us down here in FL, in the gun rack, but I was in school back during the race riots of the late 60s/early 70s and there were 6 - 7 hundred kids in our classes, so 1500 to 2000 of us on campus. Back in those days, we didn't have cops assigned to the school either, and there were no vehicle inspections without cause. A lot of us probably did have a gun in the vehicle, but it wasn't in the window, and none of us were ever stupid enough to turn one on our classmates, because we knew there were very likely more in the parking lot.

That being said, even in that day and time, if two yo-yos that looked like that and were dressed like that had walked into a restaurant, carrying semi-automatic long guns, I'm pretty sure someone would have felt uncomfortable with it. I know I certainly would have.

And, I'm pretty comfortable with guns in my old age, little town up there in ND, there are a few farmers that strap pistols on when working the fields to take a shot at the ocasional stupid yote, or jack rabbit, or to finish a critter that didn't get up and out of the way of the combine or sickle mower quick enough. The little country store down the road here in Florida, caters to hunters, and it's not unusual to see folks walking around in there with a pistol strapped on their side. No one gets excited about it. But even in camo, head to toe, they usually leave the long guns in the truck, because they know for a fact they aren't going to encounter any game animals in the store. If someone whips one out in the parking lot to have their picture taken with it and their deer, no one cares. If you drove 12 miles to town and pulled that at the Huddle House, you might get a tourist or two excited, but on that end of town, probably not going to get too many folks spun up unless you're pointing it at them. Do that at Applebees or the Road House, on the other end of town, and someone is not going to appreciate it.

By the same respect, if these two yo-yos were in uniform, police or military, (although they obviously aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer), and had these weapons strapped on, everyone probably wouldn't have been too upset about things. However, when you weigh 400 lbs, got the baggy shorts, boonie hat, scruffy beard, knee high socks and hiking boots, thing going on, with an AR strapped around your neck. And, your partner weighing in at less than your left leg, soaking weight, with the Joe Cool sunglasses and golf shoes on, is carrying an AK that's bigger than he is. And, you walk into a restaurant... you're going to cause trouble! Because first everyone looks at the two of you together, then they look at the way the two of you are dressed, then they wonder momentarily what turnip truck you fell off of, before the weapons fully register, at which point they seriously question whether you are safe without adult supervision, let alone safe with a firearm of any nature, without adult supervision, let alone safe with a firearm of that nature in public, without adult supervision. I mean obviously the chunky butted one in the picture up there, should have had his mother dress him. So yeah people are going to be worried in today's world.

Is it because we're becoming more like the antis? No, not necessarily... Anti-gun sentiment would be the last thing I'd be worried about in that scenario above. I'd be more concerned that 2 people with sh1t for brains just walked through the door, packing enough heat to take out everyone in the restaurant, and they're trying to impress the world with how bad they are. Their mental stability, or lack thereof, is what scares me most, not the weapons they carry, because I have absolutely no idea how tight their rubberband is wound.

Back