Cedar City, Beaver, Fillmore Utah coyote action

One thing about Utah is every good place on public land has most likley been called but alot of places close to towns get overlooked. I won a contest last weekend calling all day with no luck.
And about the time the sun went down we called a place about 2 miles from the town we hunted and called 3 coyotes in all about 5 mins apart . and that was all we needed to win over 3 teams who had 2

Last edited:
I have never had really great luck in Utah hunting the Yotes. I have tried many of times and always find myself driving the couple hrs to get out of the state to hunt. Wilydawg did find some good land that we will be going back to. I guess it is probably more my fault because I don't put in the time or effort to find good spots in Utah. It is on the list of things to do for sure.

LOL! More than 40, less than 67...
whistle.gif

Tom, I am moving back to Utah in the next 6 months and I am going to hide a tracking transmitter in your truck.

If you look at how many coyotes it takes to win a coyote calling tournament in Utah today compared to just few years ago, you will see the affects of all the pressure in the state of Utah.

I don't think guys are killing less because we are getting worse at hunting.

It's all relative really. If you are hunting coyotes year around even in Utah it's not to hard to kill 50+ coyotes a year especially if you put in the time. But to kill that many in Utah during the Fur season(Nov.-Feb),when everyone is out chasing them is a different story all together.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceI call in and kill a SLEW of coyotes in UTAH on public land every week. Complain all you want, I'll be in the sage...
tongue.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceI call in and kill a SLEW of coyotes in UTAH on public land every week. Complain all you want, I'll be in the sage...
tongue.gif

Between 40 and 67

You are killing between 40 and 67 coyotes a week on public land in Utah?

Strickforce, are you saying Utah is not heavily pressured, or that the pressure has no or little affect if you are a good hunter?

How long have you been predator hunting in Utah? Have your numbers stayed consistent, gone up, or gone down over the last ten years?

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceLOL! More than 40, less than 67...
whistle.gif

I'm sorry Tom but I gotta call B.S on those numbers. I'm not doubting your ability but doing the math, using your low number thats 2080 a year. Come on Man!!!

I will say a couple things, yes Utah has alot of pressure. Coyotes get pretty tough to call towards the end of Jan-Feb on public land. These things we can't change and certainly complaining does no good. I think of it as more of a challenge and I can honestly tell you, things that work right now probably won't work in Jan. You may have to drive further, walk further, call longer, change tactics, use dogs or whatever it may be. Good luck and happy hunting. Remember coyote hunting is supposed to be fun, and some wise people have always told me "coyote hunting is more like checkers then chess, don't over think it".

I should've edited my post to say that I kill a slew of coyotes in Utah every year. Not every week. I kill a grundle every week. Lol! Wait, which is more?
tt2.gif
What I'm trying to say is, I'm only mediocre at best.

I have an Uncle, lives in Tooele Co. He only hunts "the fur season" as it's been called here. Hunts public land. He killed 48 coyotes by calling only in 2009 and 43 in 2010. In his early 70's and is an absolute animal. You won't catch him on an internet forum or watching T.V. He kills time by killing coyotes. My point, pressured or not, there's plenty of coyotes to call in Utah. You can't kill 'em at home. Good Hunting!

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceLOL! More than 40, less than 67...
whistle.gif

I'm sorry Tom but I gotta call B.S on those numbers. I'm not doubting your ability but doing the math, using your low number thats 2080 a year. Come on Man!!!

I hope you didn't really think I was claiming that I kill 40-66 coyotes a week. That's absurd! After re-reading my post, I can see how it appears as if I was claiming that but even I'm not that delusional. My bad. Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted By: SalemDawgerIf you look at how many coyotes it takes to win a coyote calling tournament in Utah today compared to just few years ago, you will see the affects of all the pressure in the state of Utah.

I don't think guys are killing less because we are getting worse at hunting.

I thought the same thing tell 9 took the state hunt this year , and you cant leave the state nor do you have time to be out of it all day . But I agree with what you said .

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceI should've edited my post to say that I kill a slew of coyotes in Utah every year. Not every week. I kill a grundle every week. Lol! Wait, which is more?
tt2.gif
What I'm trying to say is, I'm only mediocre at best.

I have an Uncle, lives in Tooele Co. He only hunts "the fur season" as it's been called here. Hunts public land. He killed 48 coyotes by calling only in 2009 and 43 in 2010. In his early 70's and is an absolute animal. You won't catch him on an internet forum or watching T.V. He kills time by killing coyotes. My point, pressured or not, there's plenty of coyotes to call in Utah. You can't kill 'em at home. Good Hunting!

I think you need to introduce me to your uncle.
thumbup.gif

Tom, I have no doubt you can lay them down. I respect your can do attitude, it may be why you do so well in part. To me it is all relative. I value a coyote called and killed in Utah more now than I did back when it was easy for me to call them in back in the 1990s.

I am starting to embrace the idea that the challenge brought about by pressure coyotes makes me up my game, and do things better.

Good hunting,

Ps I wish I had an uncle like yours as a mentor, I had to figure it all out on my own , with alittle help from PM :)

Back