CCW choice???

The first four factors I consider when selecting a CCW weapon are:

1) sufficient power - I consider .38 Sp the minimum in power but I don't carry anything in this caliber.

2) concealment potential - I prefer thin, single stacks with a short height for best concealment.

3) shooting system - I prefer no safeties with a long DA first shot or DAO which travels a sufficient distance to negate accidental trigger pulls.

4) reliability - must be shot, at minimum, 250 consecutive times without a failure before I'd even consider CCW.

I carry a Sig 239 in 357 Sig or .40(same gun, barrel swap) and a Kahr PM-9 for light clothing days.

Lots of good answers here. One you WILL CARRY EVERYDAY. First and formost. If you dont like it or it is too heavy you wont do this.

Now on the other hand once you get the living ____ scared out of you, you will never forget it or leave it at home ever again.

If you looking to carry it at work I would consider a high cap. simply because avg. ambulance time arrival I am sure is over 5 minutes. Thats a lot of time for large groups and po'd people to assemble. If you "need" that gun on the job you wont care if you get fired for it.

I carry a PX4 Storm in 40cal. I used to only have 8 in the mag because it got heavy over a days time. (I work retail in a rough area.) Trust me when I say that if you have to confront more than 1 or 2 individuals you will be glad you have a high cap handgun.

I carry a glock 36 this is their subcompact single stack 45,great gun and shoots hydroshocks like you wouldnt beleive,I also have a glock 27 that I switch off too now and then.Hers a pic of my carry package.
043.jpg

Quote:
most guys talk about their pistol as being a good CCW choice, truth is I doubt many actually carry theirs all the time, IMO there are only 2 or 3 realistic CCW pistols, kel tec/ruger LCP, J frame (what I carry) or a kahr of one flavor or another, you want your CCW to not be more than 16 oz without bullets, bigger pistols are nice and more appropriate if you are taking an offensive role in a situation, most of us view our CCW as a defensive weapon in this case the best CCW weapon is the one you actually have with you, once the novelty of a larger pistol wears off, it will just sit in the safe and never really be carried. I have a scandium air weight S&W its a pricey pistol but is 12 oz, and I can carry it in a coat pocket and forget its there, that is what you want, a taurus titanium is slightly heavier and is a great choice as well. I can keep this pistol in my side coat pocket and have my hand on it and shoot it with noone seeing through my coat, that way if the situation diffuses you don't get in trouble for brandishing, which is a serious crime around here. IMO no 1911 sytle pistol would be worth a darn as a CCW. its not like you are going to confront bank robbers inside a bank

I also carry the j frame scandium 357 i also agree with everything you stated. Its no good if its in the safe. I do have a 1911 9mm also wich has its place in the truck. The little smith is very light to carry. And the officer that taught are ccw class also stated the comfertation will be very short. 2 to 3 shots as well. For one if there is more then one. IMHO after the first one gets some lead chances are the other ones are not going to be there for there serving. Its a no win siuation but if your not carrying that is the time you wish you were. Better to be safe then sorry is the way i look at it.

Quote:
i carry a kahr cw9 that fits my bill perfect i usaully have it on me at all times when im not at home, take that back usually with me while im home, im running corbon ammo in it i have no doubts at all that the 9mm with proper ammo will control the situations quickly, kahr also makes a cw 40 that is a very nice pistol fairly cheap to buy as well. remember 1 thing it is stated soemwhere about, if it aint comfortable you will find yourself leaving it at home more and more i have a don hume small of the back holster that you cant even tell its back there. Ron

Agree 100%

I currently carry a Glock 19 with Cor-Bon and it's just too heavy. I may go with a Kahr in the near future due to weight and it's a bit thinner. A Glock is unstoppable though.

I've been thinking about the Taurus Judge. It's .45 long colt and /or .410 gauge 5 shot. I think alternating with 00 buck would be the ticket. Around $600.00

RKR,

I always say, "There is no replacement for displacement."

The 45 ACP is a stopper. If you are going to go to a gun fight, bring a big gun. I carry a Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP in a HBE custom IWB holster. Very comfortable set up.
HBEDCTuckableKimberTacticalProII-1.jpg

JD338

Quote:
I've been thinking about the Taurus Judge. It's .45 long colt and /or .410 gauge 5 shot. I think alternating with 00 buck would be the ticket. Around $600.00

if you get the judge make sure you get the 3" mag verson the new one the 2.5" is not intended for buckshot it is working them loose very fast and becoming unsafe. the new 3" model is made for buckshot. Ron the website shows them shooting buckshot with the 2.5" that is deceiving

I mostly carry a Taurus pt140 with one extra mag in a Iwb holster with 180 grain Hps and 180 solids mixed in the mag ( I coon hunt alot by myself and I just dont think the Hp will kill a bear if shot in the head the solids will ) plus in winter the hps may not kill a two leg threat but the solids will feel like he or she has been hit by a truck. would I recommend this weapon ? Shure but I would also recommend others what ever you can shoot well in a pressure situation would be the best Idea . some ideas on the stress situations run a quarter mile and then stop draw and put two shots in center mass at 3 seconds from the ten yard line ( sound funny dont it . try it , aint fun )

Dr.Ignatius Piazza of Front Sight Academy said "any gun will do if you will", and I agree...caliber and capacity doesn't matter a hill of beans if you don't shoot it well and carry it everyday.

Quote:
The first four factors I consider when selecting a CCW weapon are:

1) sufficient power - I consider .38 Sp the minimum in power but I don't carry anything in this caliber.

2) concealment potential - I prefer thin, single stacks with a short height for best concealment.

3) shooting system - I prefer no safeties with a long DA first shot or DAO which travels a sufficient distance to negate accidental trigger pulls.

4) reliability - must be shot, at minimum, 250 consecutive times without a failure before I'd even consider CCW.

I carry a Sig 239 in 357 Sig or .40(same gun, barrel swap) and a Kahr PM-9 for light clothing days.

Couldn't have said it any better. I carry a Kahr PM9 all the time. Stoked with 124 grain Speer Gold Dots, and the spare mag is carried in an innocent looking Leatherman case.

Mike

Go to any handgun forum and look at what everyones BUG is. 9 times out of ten its a 38 revolver. They go bang every time and are small enough to carry no matter how hot, cold sunny, cloudy,,,, you get the picture. I may carry a larger caliber in a OWB on colder days because of the layers of cloths I may need to penetrait, the perps, But I guarantee My 637 is in my front pants pocket.

Dan

When I first got my permit to carry I tried several pistols
Bersa 380,Glock26,PT911, pro 45,pf9,cw40.What I carry now is
Either or both a all steel 357 snubbie and or my Smith 638airweight
Generally loaded with Buffalow Bore 158gr LSWC HP.As I type this My 357 is in my waist band and the 638 is in my coat pocket,in the summer the 638 in my front pocket.For me this is very comfortable and therefore always there.Mabe not the stopping power of the big boys but if you put it where it counts It'll do the job.My lady and I are fortunate enough to be able to shoot at home and we shoot anywhere from 100 to 200 hand loads a week and with practice they are supprisinly accurate.She wont even go to the mail box without hers.LOL
sorry so long winded.
Bob.

I carry a Taurus PT145 10+1. Plenty. In the summer when wearing shorts I leave it at home and carry a Kel Tec PF9 with an extra mag. Much lighter in the shorts and it slips into the pocket. Both will have plenty of 'fight' in them, but I pray that never happens, but prepared I will be.

I shoot them both constantly and reload for both as well.

Good luck in your decision.

Quote:
I shoot them both constantly and reload for both as well.

Do yourself a favor and do not carry reloads. They're great for saving money for practice rounds but you are better off finding out what the local/state PO's use as ammo and use the same when you carry.

God forbid something terrible happens and you have to use your self-defense weapon, every facet of your decision, methodology, training and purpose for carrying a self-defense weapon will be scrutinized in court. Using hand-loaded ammo will be interpreted as you being a whacko who isn't satisfied with mass production ammo, which is sufficient for every law enforcement in existence, and who is bent on carrying the most destructive ammo you can create.

They will make every effort to twist sound reasoning and vilify you, the victim, not the criminal.

Last edited:
I believe it comes down to two factors.
What you are completely comfortable shooting (Accurately/suitable for self defense (9mm/.38 minimum))
What you can carry conceiled (All day - every day)

Maybe most don't carry all the time. I do and have done so for over 30 years. I have carried revolvers and semi's. From 38 and 9mm all the way up to and including the 44mag.

You have to realize from the start.....you have to dress appropriately. Everything thing you wear is a tradeoff. This is my insurance policy. If I don't have it with me ......it's no good. You have to get used to carrying every day. Some days it's hot or cold. Somedays you in jeans and others in a suit. Every situation needs to be thought out. When you have done this.....then you will begin to feel naked without it. There are times where it will poke you or pinch/rub you or seem like it's in the way. There are days....it will happen.
A weapon is not supposed to be comfortable....it is comforting.

Basically....we can sit here and tell you what we carry or what works for us, but it is going to come down to you and what works for you!

Pop

Back