CCI primers have a special place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the op loaded 300 of these primers, has 5-600 left out of the 1000 he bought and says he's some shot just fine. I'm assuming that 1-200 "missing" primers worked just fine. If it was the primers I'm thinking that would have manifested itself within the first 100 used, not halfway through.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014The priming compound needs to be compressed or touching the anvil when it's seated or won't go off hence why if it's not seated all the way it won't fire.

I will disagree with this, respectfully, of course.

That has not been my experience.

Jury is still out on whether 'squishing' helps or not, but primers will ignite just fine without compressing the anvil on to the compound. The FP does that pretty well, altho' not so much if other stuff doesn't line up.........l

More here from some fairly well known BR guys.......

Primer Squishing

And I don't think we have enough details yet......

mmmmm, OK. All this time & I had no idea I was supposed to be compressing the anvil when seating...

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014The priming compound needs to be compressed or touching the anvil when it's seated or won't go off hence why if it's not seated all the way it won't fire.

hey ohi that's wrong

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stu Farishmmmmm, OK. All this time & I had no idea I was supposed to be compressing the anvil when seating...

hey ohi that's wrong

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stu Farishwell, it seems that I've been doing it right in any case, whatever it is.

Me too, the only problems that I have really heard of is in "gamer" type guns that are set up for speed in competitions.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014The priming compound needs to be compressed or touching the anvil when it's seated or won't go off hence why if it's not seated all the way it won't fire.

even in the link you posted nobody said anything about priming compound needing to be compressed.
cry.gif

try reading it again. slowly.

Maybe instead of being a prick to people why don't you try reading slowly! I have been told this on dedicated reloading forums and read it on the 2nd post on the link as well as other places. just because you have never heard it doesn't mean it gives you the right to run your mouth! I worded it wrong when I typed mine out but still the same premise. so explain then why I will have a misfire in 2 rifles and then go home and pull the bullets and seat the same primer again and i can take cci450 primers to the range and they fire? but hey 3 pages and you haven't tried giving any helpful info. sure does say something.

03-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Nick A

Push it too deep? No. Push it too hard after it bottoms in the pocket? Yes.

When you take a new primer out of the package, the anvil (the three legged thing) inside a primer cup is sticking out of the cup slightly. This is to keep it from contacting the priming compound during shipping. below is a quote from another forum.

When you seat a primer, the priming tool inserts it into the pocket until the three legs of the anvil touch the bottom of the pocket. Then the tool pushes the cup deeper and deeper until the compound contacts the anvil. You can't go any farther than that. The priming compound is painted on the bottom of the cup, once it contacts the anvil your job is done

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOhio...
I'm getting sick of you swearing at folks with your slang to get around the word sensor. Change it , you have been publicly warned !

yeah and I'm tired of all the tuff guys on here who have nothing to contribute but then to start trouble. soo why don't you moderate and keep this crap from happening and I wont have to tell certain people off. notice its the same 2-3 guys. instead of trolling certain people to cause problems they should keep their mouth shut if they aren't contributing to the thread but I can see you and a couple others get a kick out of it so it will never change. but ill edit it but keep your buddies in check and people wont have to be put in check.

if you have nothing to contribute to a thread than be a giant ahole than don't comment its that easy.

OP: IF YOU WANT REAL RELOADING HELP CHECKOUT REAL FIREARMS FORUMS SUCH AS THEHIGHROAD, THEFIRINGLINE AND RELOADERSNEST. YOU MIGHT GET THE INFORMATION YOUR LOOKING FOR BY MORE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE AND LESS B.S.

Last edited:
nah just bringing things to light. certain people on here just have to stir the pot. I tried helping the OP, slicker made 4 comments just to cause trouble. it gets annoying and I'm not going to sit by and let someone keep taking jabs at me. you guys call me out in the open and ill call you out in the open. theres better way to handle things an ill admit I shouldn't get so fired up over the yahoos but when I say the grass is green and the same 2 guys say its dark green than something wrong and I told myself last night at midnight just ignore the trouble makers but that didn't work out so well.

Last edited:
The only primers I have ever had fail were CCI Small Rifle and Small Pistol.

Crushing the primer .003 after reaching bottom has a noticeable effect on Accuracy. I have the tools, and have tested it. I won't debate it.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014

if you have nothing to contribute to a thread than be a giant ahole than don't comment its that easy.

OP: IF YOU WANT REAL RELOADING HELP CHECKOUT REAL FIREARMS FORUMS SUCH AS THEHIGHROAD, THEFIRINGLINE AND RELOADERSNEST. YOU MIGHT GET THE INFORMATION YOUR LOOKING FOR BY MORE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE AND LESS B.S.

Originally Posted By: exteriorballistics.comIn examining a primer, you will note that the anvil extends a few thousandths of an inch above the cup. This is to allow the anvil to slightly compress the pellet when the primer is seated, thus sensitizing the primer. These statements hold true for both large and small sizes and for both rifle and pistol types.

Link

You are factually wrong with your statement of compressing the primer during the seating process. While the anvil is seated about 2 thou during the primer seating process, that is not the same as compressing the compound of the primer. The anvil move into the priming compound not the priming compound into the primer. The primer cup and compound do not move until they are struck by the firing pin. There is a huge wealth of reloading knowledge in this forum and many of them replied on this thread with the most probable cause, one deduced from actual experience. You are also about the least experienced reloader on this thread. The primmer cup when struck forces the compound into the anvil causing ignition. Your "contributions" are incorrect and thusly are not useful. Then you go on a cussing and name calling tirade when you are called out on your misinformation. Stop, breathe and learn the actual correct nomenclature and theory of operation before posting...it will go a long ways to help your cause.

Last edited:
I do have a bullet comparator and compared the 300 I did at one time to other brass I have. I used a 270 cal first then a 30 cal checking the shoulders. They fluctuate back and forth a little but not by much. As far as I know I didn't crush the unloaded cases. If I did I will fire form them back one way or another. Lol. I may owe CCI an apology but right now I'm not thinking so.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014

Originally Posted By: exteriorballistics.comIn examining a primer, you will note that the anvil extends a few thousandths of an inch above the cup. This is to allow the anvil to slightly compress the pellet when the primer is seated, thus sensitizing the primer. These statements hold true for both large and small sizes and for both rifle and pistol types.

Link

You are factually wrong with your statement of compressing the primer during the seating process. While the anvil is seated about 2 thou during the primer seating process, that is not the same as compressing the compound of the primer. The anvil move into the priming compound not the priming compound into the primer. The primer cup and compound do not move until they are struck by the firing pin. There is a huge wealth of reloading knowledge in this forum and many of them replied on this thread with the most probable cause, one deduced from actual experience. You are also about the least experienced reloader on this thread. The primmer cup when struck forces the compound into the anvil causing ignition. Your "contributions" are incorrect and thusly are not useful. Then you go on a cussing and name calling tirade when you are called out on your misinformation. Stop, breathe and learn the actual correct nomenclature and theory of operation before posting...it will go a long ways to help your cause. Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014

Link

You are factually wrong with your statement of compressing the primer during the seating process. While the anvil is seated about 2 thou during the primer seating process, that is not the same as compressing the compound of the primer. The anvil move into the priming compound not the priming compound into the primer. The primer cup and compound do not move until they are struck by the firing pin. There is a huge wealth of reloading knowledge in this forum and many of them replied on this thread with the most probable cause, one deduced from actual experience. You are also about the least experienced reloader on this thread. The primmer cup when struck forces the compound into the anvil causing ignition. Your "contributions" are incorrect and thusly are not useful. Then you go on a cussing and name calling tirade when you are called out on your misinformation. Stop, breathe and learn the actual correct nomenclature and theory of operation before posting...it will go a long ways to help your cause.

I told him seat them again cause I had the same issue he did and when you asked where I seen what I said about compressing the primer I posted the link where I seen it. I just didn't word it the same way. Instead of you and the others always having to argue with someone because you think you know everything and because some worded something differently why don't you take a breath. You have no clue how much reloading knowledge I've got so you have no room to comment. God forbid someone else shares their experience with that primer and offers help. Maybe you guys should try not being a prick and I wouldn't have to tell you off. I said the anvil compresses you said it's seated it's the same thing just different words.i gave him advice that I have read on other forums that was given to me. just because someone on here didn't say it doesn't mean its not true. you also said the same [beeep] thing I did on page 3. if the anvil isn't driven into the priming compound it wont fire. I said it needs to be compressed into the anvil. it means the same thing but nice try. just like you argued about the savage thing and how we could shoot for slips or some b.s. never seen you post any kills or targets. seems fishy. some people are experts behind the keyboard. I was just telling the OP the same thing your expert self did I said compressed instead of seated.

post #5 When seating a primer we actually move the cup down over the protruding anvil and put it in contact with the cup, this is part of the feel.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/2891-Failure-To-Ignite-Problem-with-CCI-Primers

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014...Maybe you guys should try not being a prick and I wouldn't have to tell you off.

There's plenty of room for disagreement and discussion, that's what we're all here for. But there's no need or room for the kind of language you're using here. You've been asked to tone it down and participate in a civil manner. You need to take that advice.

The same applies to everyone here. Keep it civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back