Carry Knife?

CreekTrapper

Anyone have any recommendations for a good carry knife? There has been an recent influx in violent crime around campus and I'm gonna start carrying a knife. Of course they have laws against firearms on campus so that's a no go. Preferably one that is slim and light, clips inside waistband, and doesn't break the bank. There is also the stupid law that the knife cannot be spring assisted in any way or the blade be "ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement", even though full-out button push switchblades of all kinds were just legalized this summer in Kansas. Also if it's a straight blade knife it cannot be longer than 4 inches.

Thanks.

It might be helpful if you could be a little more specific to what you are comfortable spending, breaking the bank is a relative term and I know from personal experience with our kids that young folks in college don't have much " bank" I got a call almost every weekend.............
I was just looking at Kansas HB 2033 because I couldnt figure out how your legislature would ok switchblades and not other spring assisted knives or automatics per your post. My interpretation from a quick reading is you are good to go with both automatics and spring assisted knives and those ejected by a significant outward force, in fact the bill pretty much deregulates a lot of old local carry laws.
A quick Internet search will bear this out.
https://www.google.com/search?q=automati...p;client=safari

BD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlackDog1It might be helpful if you could be a little more specific to what you are comfortable spending, breaking the bank is a relative term and I know from personal experience with our kids that young folks in college don't have much " bank" I got a call almost every weekend.............
I was just looking at Kansas HB 2033 because I couldnt figure out how your legislature would ok switchblades and not other spring assisted knives or automatics per your post. My interpretation from a quick reading is you are good to go with both automatics and spring assisted knives and those ejected by a significant outward force, in fact the bill pretty much deregulates a lot of old local carry laws.
A quick Internet search will bear this out.
https://www.google.com/search?q=automati...p;client=safari

BD
Sorry for the confusion. The specific regulations I was quoting are the rules for on campus at my college, not the state. You can read them here:
http://www.k-state.edu/policies/ppm/3700/3770.html

You are right about everywhere else though, pretty much everything such as switch blades, spring assisted, etc. are now legal. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

As far as price range, you are right about the college kid bank roll lol. I would say at the highest $100, however something closer to $50 would please me more.

College huh? Hummm... get ya some pepper spray and don't go to bad places at bad times and stay out of trouble. Knife fighting is a losing proposition for everyone involved. Stay in school and out of the hospital or jail and you'll be far ahead. I know you don't like this advice, but there it is for consideration anyway and it didn't cost ya a thing. Best of luck...

Originally Posted By: GCCollege huh? Hummm... get ya some pepper spray and don't go to bad places at bad times and stay out of trouble. Knife fighting is a losing proposition for everyone involved. Stay in school and out of the hospital or jail and you'll be far ahead. I know you don't like this advice, but there it is for consideration anyway and it didn't cost ya a thing. Best of luck...
+1

besides, you never want to bring a knife to a gunfight.

Sounds like great advice, and don't get me wrong, but it sounds like he is more worried about a forced altercation/self-defense. Not starting trouble. I carried a knife around campus and damm near used it once. Instead I chose to use the roof of a Mustang as my weapon
laugh.gif
. As the perpetrator's head bounced off it and gushed blood, a couple of swift kicks from my trusty Reeboks later, he decided to flee. I thought I had ruined a perfectly good Bob Probert Red Wings jersey, but it turned out, it only made it that much cooler
thumbup1.gif

Of course, I graduated from Eastern Michigan, and when you arrive, you know you aren't in Kansas any more
lol.gif

I carry a knife every day. Admittedly, some are illegal in my state. However, cops have seen them on occasion, and never given me any trouble. I guess it just depends on where I'm going. Truth is, I really don't care. I'd rather risk a run-in with police, than a run-in with a dangerous criminal and be completely unarmed. Although a small knife is pretty low on my list of preferred "weapons".

That said, I carry a number of different Gerber-style boot knives, or a couple Izulas, or spring-assisted Kershaws and Timberlines. Lately I have carried a few Tanto-styled knives, one of which I will be toting to work tomorrow at GM..................

While I will agree that any weapon is better than none in a serious social situation, I wish I could find a file of photos that I used to have of a knife fight victim where the assailant knew more about the subject than the victim...

The victim was a stocky built male that looked like he could hold his own in any fist fight encounter, but he tangled with a smaller guy that was trained in knife fighting and suffered extremely deep lacerations (7-9" slashes) over the majority of his upper torso, front and back...He was just very lucky that he only suffered muscle damage, rather than bleeding out before medical personnel arrived...

I'm in GC's camp on this one.
I guess a knife's better than nothing but I think I'd rather have some pepper spray.
A knife would likely just escalate things anyway and regardless of the right or wrong of it, in today's bizarro-world judicial system's thinking, using a knife could easily turn into an assault with a deadly weapon. Something a young man going to college and looking to start a career hardly needs on his resume.

JMO and worth what you paid for it.

Can't say I've ever seen a felony assault charge handed out to somebody using pepper spray in self defense. Have seen it with weapons though. I know a guy sitting in a cell now that was clubbed senselessly. He fired a warning shot to ward off his attacker, but hit him in a fluke bullet ricochet. The attacker admitted to being the aggressor in court, but he wasn't holding a 44mag, so you can guess how that went in todays anti-gun climate. Felonies are forever. Carry a knife if you must, but go less than lethal if possible. Remember, the knife only works at arms reach, spray works much farther. Should your attacker turn your own weapon on you, I bet you prefer it to be something you can wash off instead of something you can't
wink.gif

If your going to carry a knife for offensive or defensive purposes, you better know what your doing! Pull it on the wrong person, a person that has learned the hard way about knife fighting, like some of the Hispanics from the old country or martial art students and you may die! Unless you are willing to die, use pepper spray and run. I have seen many a supposed Badass pull a knife, only to have it used against him, not a pretty sight.

Just something to think about

I'm in the pepper spray camp too given your circumstances and school policies. I would also like to add something to the conversation, IMHO, and this probably goes with out saying but I'm going to anyways. Your best personal defense weapon is the one between your ears. Developing your senses to keenly observe, listen, recognize, and avoid potentially bad situations or environments before they arise or putting yourself in a position that you may have to defend yourself is the first line of defense and goes a long way. Knives, pepper spray or......? is the last line of personal defense in unavoidable circumstances.
Given the bizarro world we live in as mentioned earlier, I hope none of us has to resort to taking the last line given the legal climate we have to live with and unbelievably many criminals being able to bring lawsuits against their victims for bodily injury while they were committing a crime..........
Just my …2 cents.

Bob

Originally Posted By: BlackDog1... Your best personal defense weapon is the one between your ears. Developing your senses to keenly observe, listen, recognize, and avoid potentially bad situations or environments before they arise or putting yourself in a position that you may have to defend yourself is the first line of defense and goes a long way...

Sorta what I was referring to in my post above also. Just be smart and recognize that if it looks like, sounds like and walks like trouble - it probably is. BTW, that applies to women too!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleWhile I will agree that any weapon is better than none in a serious social situation, I wish I could find a file of photos that I used to have of a knife fight victim where the assailant knew more about the subject than the victim...

The victim was a stocky built male that looked like he could hold his own in any fist fight encounter, but he tangled with a smaller guy that was trained in knife fighting and suffered extremely deep lacerations (7-9" slashes) over the majority of his upper torso, front and back...He was just very lucky that he only suffered muscle damage, rather than bleeding out before medical personnel arrived...
this sounds more like attempted murder than defending yourself to me. which is why I would advise against it. same reason I would not carry a pr24 back in the day. too easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment.

Wow, this went down a completely different path than I expected.

I'm not sure how my postings led to believe I was heading towards a life of crime, but let's just clear up those were NOT my intentions. There has just been a recent spell in muggings, beatings, and rape, and I figured I would be safer armed than completely unarmed.

I am not the tough guy that provokes confrontation or leaves the house trying to find trouble. I understand the logic of fleeing when possible and fully embrace that mentality. However, there are some situations that is not possible.

Also, you have all raised a good point about the knife thing. I think you have convinced me and I will get a can of spray to keep in my backpack. I will also probably carry a knife on my side too as a last resort.

Thanks for all of the great advice and concerns.

I know where you are coming from.

Like I said earlier, I had a knife on me when I caught a tall black guy trying to break into my girlfriends car on EMU campus years ago.

However, I did not feel threatened enough to pull it out. If I did, then I would of had no problem deploying my Gerber. But again, you really have to be careful about what you do, and be certain it is a road you want to travel.......

Originally Posted By: CreekTrapperWow, this went down a completely different path than I expected.

I'm not sure how my postings led to believe I was heading towards a life of crime, but let's just clear up those were NOT my intentions.

I didn't read where anyone was implying that you were "heading for a life of crime".
You ask for opinions on an open forum and that's what you got even if they weren't what you were wanting to hear.
If you want to carry a knife for self defense then by all means do so and best of luck to you.

The end.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: CreekTrapperWow, this went down a completely different path than I expected.

I'm not sure how my postings led to believe I was heading towards a life of crime, but let's just clear up those were NOT my intentions.

I didn't read where anyone was implying that you were "heading for a life of crime".
You ask for opinions on an open forum and that's what you got even if they weren't what you were wanting to hear.
If you want to carry a knife for self defense then by all means do so and best of luck to you.

The end.
Thanks Pete, but I had already decided I was going to carry one, that wasn't the issue. So you are right "The end." of that topic.

The original question was which particular knife should I carry. However, I'm glad the topic did stray a bit and we discussed carrying vs. not carrying
smile.gif
, I've listened and taken into consideration what everyone has said and I appreciate it!

Back