Career in Forestry? (Kinda lengthy)

getfoxy

This is really off the wall but Its something I would like to find out more about.

Im looking for a carrer in Forestry. Im just a junior in high school but I figure Ive got a year and a half left and its time to get serious about what field I want to go into college for. Now Im not just spitballing here, this is something I have considered for the past 3 years or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif This is something that I am highly interested in because its something I already seem to have a pretty good start on... My dad is a Landscaper, and does lawn maintenance for 5/3 and citi national banks, and I have been working every day in the summer with him since 7th grade so I have a pretty good start on that, besides all of the stuff you learn first hand by living on a farm, and then hunting and fishing and the like. ( Just trying to give you some background so you can understand where Im coming from) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I keep loooking it up but it seems like every link is About.com and it does nothing for me. All Im wanting is a list of the different carrers in the foresrty department, and some information about them. If anyone could tell me where to go or send me a direct like it would be greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Sorry Its Long.

I did; the college I found is a small college in ohio called Hocking college, and I was talking to the school guidance counselor and she did some research on forestry for me and found Hocking College for me and they are supposed to have an excellent forestry program.

If you want to see what types of jobs will be available after you graduate do a Google on US Forestry Service and you should find a link for employment opportunities. I almost went into Forestry myself and even had a two year scholarship, but opted to take a break after high school and then decided to join the AF. I've enjoyed my military career, but some days, when I'm really stressed, I think to myself, "I could be out cruising the forest right now". I think you're picking a fantastic career. Good luck and stick with your goal!!

Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff Arizona used to have a top rated forestry school. That was 30 years ago but I wouldn’t be surprised to find they still have a program.

Rim Runner I just wonder it being in Arizona if they would be teaching the same stuff, cause you know us mountain people we love the thick woods, and wooded lakes, and Az isnt like that. I wonder how much it Varies. Cause the terrain around heres what Im wanting to work with.

Good question. Flagstaff sits at 7000-foot elevation. It’s forested mostly with ponderosa pine with aspen and oak mixed in. The pine is the main lumber source. There are Douglas fir in the eastern part of the state but I can’t remember if there is a lot of Doug fir in the Flagstaff area. There isn’t a lot of under story or vines, so the woods are more open but it’s still some big time forest. There are several small lakes but very little in the way of streams or rivers. The hunting is pretty darn good also.

Thanks Greg, and Thanks Rimrunner, this is really helping. Got to love Pm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Ask people working in the business.
And, ask alot of them.
You want a lot of opinions.
They will all be different.
Independent Foresters, big company guys, Government guys , etc.
They will know better than professors.
Nothing against professors, but academics is a different world.
Alot of times they are not in touch with the latest job trends and employment opportunities in the outside world.
Good Luck.
PC

Last edited:
There are a few problems.

It is a very competitive field. There are many applicants for any opening. It is almost always a government job with all that entails. Lots of benefits but poor pay and politics and infighting constantly.

Jack

I have a B.S. in Forestry and Wildlife from Stephen F. Austin State University's College of Forestry in Nacogdoces, TX.

The field of forestry is wide and you will need to decide on a specific field within forestry (silviculture, recreation, economics, hydrology, etc).

As stated, these often are competitive jobs but fairly low paying compared to a lot of other jobs. Gov't jobs can be pretty stable, but timber companies are very unstable right now. They are selling and restructuring so fast is it is tough to keep up with.

Just in the past 5 years in Champion International, International Paper, Lousianna Pacific, and Temple Inland have sold off all of their land. Then little timber companies owned by investment companies are springing up all over the place. The people who worked for the bigger industrial timber companies often find jobs with them or have to move elsewhere. But, since these are operated by investment funds (usually out of New York or California) the may keep the land for a while but sell when their investors think it is time to do so.

Most people in the field do it because they enjoy the outdoors, not because they want to make a lot of money. Several of the guys I graduated with 15 years ago are not school teachers, registered nurses, in some other field.

If you are serious about majoring in forestry, decide where you want to live before you choose the school. There are a lot of very good forestry schools in the south.

1. Stephen F. Austin (Texas)
2. Clemson (South Carolina)
3. Mississippi State
4. Auburn (Georgia)

and probably a few more. If you want to live in the southern states, I would check out one of them.

The forests of the south are completely different than those of the Northwest. What some people in the southwest call trees, we call bushes.

Here is a list of universities that offer a forestry program

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/majors/brief/major_3-05_brief.php

Last edited:
Just keep in mind Gov't jobs are hard to come by. The USFS hires lots of seasonal employees, but the are few fulltime permenant jobs to be had.

If I were you I would look into recreation and hydrolgy. I believe this is where the future jobs will be.

I can tell you there is nothing better than waking up knowing your going to spend the whole day in the woods and get paid for it.

All the big trees are gone and the mills are shutting down. Boise Cascade sold off and bought Office Max. Several friends got tired of fighting & games to keep seasonal jobs that were as uncertain as the budget.
It would be nice to be in the great outdoors working but investigating job prospects thoroughly will pay. If you go into forestry then you can do it with your eyes wide open.
I also think hydrology or anything to do with water should be promising too.

Check out Oregon State University College of Forestry as well. My old boss was an OSU Forestry grad. One of the best construction managers around. Go figure!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Isn't the percentage high for college grads to take up a different field than what they studied for?

I have a BS in aerospace engineering-----(hold on a sec) WELCOME TO McDonalds Can I take your order please? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back