Can Animals See in IR?? A true Synopsis is needed, scientific vs. reality...

The best way to avoid detection using an IR device is to use the same tactics as conventional light users.....avoid putting the beam directly in the coyote's eyes until you are ready to take the shot. Also, avoid panning around...this produces a light on/light off flashing affect which alerts them to your location. Lastly, use as little IR light as is necessary to detect them and take the shot. Any IR light that has the ability to adjust the light intensity infinitely (rheostat controlled) such as the HTRN T-20 Infinity will allow you to accomplish this task. There are plenty of manufacturers out there that produce IR lights with rheostat controls (you are not stuck with just our model). Hope this helps, Kevin

Originally Posted By: SkyPupBTW, No terrestrial mammal of any species has ever had any response to IR in my career in Veterinary and Human Opthalmology, including no mouse, no rat, no rabbit, no guinea pig, no ferret, no chicken, no mongoose, no feline, no canine, no porcine, no bovine, no water buffalo, no mountain lion, no equine, and no homo sapien has ever had any pupillary response to any non-visible electromagnetic radiation of any kind, including all wavelengths of IR. Their pupils did, however, all respond to visible light.

To help substantiate many of the empirical claims made in this thread, I did hear of a woman in the University Eye Clinic once who claimed that MHz cell phone signals from cell phone towers and her cell phone caused pain in her eyes though, but she was in a psychotic state and had to be examined in a straight jacket and was taken away by armed men.

I am sure you have witnessed a threshold visual field test performed on a human given your background. You can not see a pupil response when even the brightest stimulus is used when a Humphrey or similar unit is used, yet the person obviously sees the light. My point is technology is not to the point where we can determine what an animal can truly perceive. Do I believe a coyote can see IR? No. Do I believe they can see the emitter? Yes. If we were to use a red and green filter over the emitter to ensure NO visible light was being emitted then perhaps the critter wouldn’t see it. I would still only base my conclusions after experience in the field demonstrated this were true because again, technology is not to level where we can truly know what an animal can perceive.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupSorry, technology is way beyond the level you are talking about......

Are you referring to ERGs, EOGs, VEPs, MRIs? We still can’t explain how a person/animal actually puts all of an image together to see. Yes experiments with monkeys, rodents, etc. demonstrate how various lights travel to the occipital lobe yet no one has ever explained how the brain puts all of those signals together to create the image we see. How could we be 100% confident we know EXACTLY what an animal is seeing especially when we are talking about subtle findings.

Yes, we could also say that animals are indeed smelling the IR light because their sense of smell is so highly developed too, that theory must be tested but unfortunately hasn’t.....
scared.gif

The Quantum Vibration Scent Theory could be the answer.

Apparently when the IR lightwaves reflect off their anterior nares into the nasal vestibule the nasal conchae are excited and send signals to the brain to take flight. This only works with IR lightwaves and no other form of electromagnetic radiation.

On the internet, anything is possible
blush.gif

The only place or time I have had a problem is if a coyote is able to get within 50 yards of me without me seeing it. When I turn the IR on game over. Is it movement or is it IR I don't know? I just know it is a coyote victory.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupYes, we could also say that animals are indeed smelling the IR light because their sense of smell is so highly developed too, that theory must be tested but unfortunately hasn’t.....
scared.gif

This thread was a discussion of vision, their sense of smell has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyPupYes, we could also say that animals are indeed smelling the IR light because their sense of smell is so highly developed too, that theory must be tested but unfortunately hasn’t.....
scared.gif

The Quantum Vibration Scent Theory could be the answer.

Apparently when the IR lightwaves reflect off their anterior nares into the nasal vestibule the nasal conchae are excited and send signals to the brain to take flight. This only works with IR lightwaves and no other form of electromagnetic radiation.

On the internet, anything is possible
blush.gif

I’m sorry, I don’t brag on my education or credentials, but have to call BS on all the naysayers.

I’m not the smartest mortar forker in this thread (skypup). However; I am several years deep in a few technology degrees, and have worked for multiple fortune 50 companies in the technology area for over 20 years. Bound by some confidentiality agreements, I will only say scientists can tell you definitively what a mouse fart smells like on Jupiter, Saturn, and your anus.

I’m no ophthamologist, but I guarantee you the technology existed decades ago, without a doubt.

Last edited:
Nobody and no animal sees IR with their eyes.

Infrared electromagnetic radiation is heat, nothing sees heat, you can sense it though with your nerves, it’s presence is termed “hot”, while it’s absence is termed “cold.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupNobody and no animal sees IR with their eyes.

Infrared electromagnetic radiation is heat, nothing sees heat, you can sense it though with your nerves, it’s presence is termed “hot”, while it’s absence is termed “cold.

What causes the glow at the source of an 850 emitter?

I assume it's heat at the source.

Does a 940 emitter do the same?

The title to this thread is a little misleading...

Can animals "see in IR" or is it "see IR"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: SkyPupNobody and no animal sees IR with their eyes.

The title to this thread is a little misleading...

Can animals "see in IR" or is it "see IR"

That is quite simple, it is visible light since you are seeing it.

If it were infrared electromagnetic radiation it would be invisible and you and no one else would be seeing it.

Can you see the glow or anything from an 850nm Infrared Laser?

Absolutely not, because the IR laser is a monochromatic wavelength emitter with little to no spill over beyond a couple of nanometers either side of the specified laser wavength output from 845nm to 855 nm wavelengths.

Can you see the reddish-purplish glow from a 850nm Infrared LED emitter?

Yes you can, because the IR LED emits all kinds of electromagnetic radiation in a Gaussian distribution normal curve from 650nm up to 1,000 nm wavelengths due the emission characteristics of the substrate material comprising the structure of the light emitting diode.

So to to reiterate, you do not see or visualize anything from an IR laser beam due to the laser monochromatic output being completely invisible, while you do see visible light from an IR LED emitter since it is emitting multichromatic visible light.

Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: SkyPupYes, we could also say that animals are indeed smelling the IR light because their sense of smell is so highly developed too, that theory must be tested but unfortunately hasn’t.....
scared.gif

This thread was a discussion of vision, their sense of smell has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps their sense of touch and pain has something to do with it since IR electromagnetic radiation is sensed as heat by all mammals, ie if they feel it it ifeels hot.

Maybe their nosees all have IR heat detecting sensors and no one has yet discovered this?

Food for thought, err smell....

You said........

Originally Posted By: SkyPupNobody and no animal sees IR with their eyes.

I asked
Originally Posted By: pmack

You said...

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
That is quite simple, it is visible light since you are seeing it.

I thought we were going in circles till you posted this...

Originally Posted By: SkyPup

Yes you can, because the IR LED emits all kinds of electromagnetic radiation in a Gaussian distribution normal curve from 650nm up to 1,000 nm wavelengths due the emission characteristics of the substrate material comprising the structure of the light emitting diode.

So to to reiterate, you do not see or visualize anything from an IR laser beam due to the laser monochromatic output being completely invisible, while you do see visible light from an IR LED emitter since it is emitting multichromatic visible light.

Now I understand. And I think most should be able to also.

I can follow you in the electromagnetic spectrum based on my use at work. When I talk it's not second nature but I understand how it works. I don't think most follow your big words.

I can be a p r i c k at times but only resort to that when challenged or proving a point when some one fails to admit their ignorance. Your condescending attitude has a place and a time but no where did I see it warranted in this thread. No one was challenging you, most were relating experiences that formed their opinions. We weren't picking your brain to see how much you know so you could play cat and mouse. I got the answer I was looking for but a simple layman's explanation 4 pages ago would have been easier.

Sorry that I offended you, did not realize that I was talking directly to you only.

If all you did not know was that Light Emitting Diodes emit a broad spectrum of visible and invisible electromagnetic radiation, you could have asked that question four pages ago.

Happy New Year, Infrared radiation will continue to be invisible just like it was last year.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupCan you see the glow or anything from an 850nm Infrared Laser?

Absolutely not, because the IR laser is a monochromatic wavelength emitter with little to no spill over beyond a couple of nanometers either side of the specified laser wavength output from 845nm to 855 nm wavelengths.

I am glad you posted this. We are in complete agreement with this post. I believe this is the information the OP was looking for. I did not agree with your assessment of whether we know exactly what an animal can see/perceive, but that is probably not what the OP was looking for so it doesn’t warrant further discussion.

Many people do not even know what they can see/ perceive themselves, the brain is easily tricked by any number of optical illusions.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupSorry that I offended you, did not realize that I was talking directly to you only.

If all you did not know was that Light Emitting Diodes emit a broad spectrum of visible and invisible electromagnetic radiation, you could have asked that question four pages ago.

You weren't talking directly to me but I was talking directly to you cause you seemed like you would know the answer. My experiences just showed there was a reaction.

I did ask several times but failed to go to wikepedia for the vocabulary terms.

I eluded to it in several posts.

Most if not all of us believe if we can see it a coyote can also see it.

If we can't see it a coyote can't.......makes sense right.

I shoot through a small lane through a group of trees as you can see in the post below. You can see my IR move in the video. Does he see the glow at the source or the IR bouncing off the trees?? I don't know what they see I just know he reacted to the light. My opinions are based on my experiences I believe they see something, maybe just the glow at the source. I think it's an improvements from red lights and the reaction will vary with each coyote.

Asked it on page 3

Originally Posted By: pmackIs the glow at the source of an 850 IR visible.

and page 4

Originally Posted By: pmackWeeelll Pardner, I thought my eye was responding I just wanted some reassurance. I can't see the beam, I was wondering why I see something at the source?

page 4 again, along with agreeing with you.

Originally Posted By: pmackSkypup based on your experience and expertise in the field on Opthamology I believe and agree with all you're saying.

My experience makes me want to think otherwise. The response with my trail cams over the years tells me there's a reaction, could be audible, or visual but many if not all react to the camera, while others don't care at all.

When using red lights I believe I was hidden by the light as do most predator hunters. Tolerance to that visible light varies and some come charging in while others are wary and avoid the light. NV was the first step and now thermal to avoid the adverse reaction to visible light.

The video and picture I posted above are of same 850 IR light, I don't believe the coyote can see the beam and I'm not sure if he sees the red glow from my shooting position or if I'm hidden from him just as I was with red lights. The picture created by the camera leads the mind to believe you're hidden just as you were with red lights but in reality what is visible is just the glow of the emitter. Say similar to what we'd see looking at a cigarette lighter from a distance.

IS the glow generated by the heat signature of the IR, or just the intensity at the surface of the source?

And again on page 6

Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: SkyPupNobody and no animal sees IR with their eyes.

I apologize for my ignorance and in the future I'll try to format my questions with vocabulary you can understand.

Back