Camo ???? Whats your input

NO bright colors!!!
o so your secrets blaze orange camo and u dont want us to know? ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hi Guys - If you go to member articles, and look at Cainine vision article I think by Wolverineatwork, it looks like the only colors a coyote can see is blue and yellow. Doesn't look like he can see many bright colors.

In deer season we have a required "hunter orange" law, and many deer and Coyotes are shot while hunters are wearing it.

In early bow season in Ct. when it is still warm, I have harvested many deer after work dressed much like Bob is. I have found good sucess just beaking up my background, and keeping still and QUIET.

Wind and good stand placement undoubtedly is more important than Camo. Still I also agree that anything that gives a hunter more confidence is a good thing, and if its that new camo outfit, so be it.

All my cold weather archery gear is in Camo, and I think it looks real good. Seclusion 3D, I think its called. Doesn't make a bit of difference if I put my stand in the wrong tree! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

IMO, Common sense, to ME.

Movement, smell, sound are the main things here. I don't think a coyote knows the difference between a a purple swirl gunstock and a real tree one, hell I don't think a coyote knows what a gun is by looking at it. The sound may give it away though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I bet someone could dress up like Barney the dinosaur, and still shoot one, if he knows how to hunt coyotes. I would like to see it though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

In my opinion the best camo you can use is shade. Sitting in shade will keep you broken up the best. But without complete shade, breaking up the human outline of a head and shoulders is the next best thing to shade, and the best way to do that is with some sort of ghillie suit that covers the head and shoulders and prevents the animal from discerning where the head or shoulders are. Bruce

I think it's that purple gun. I think it confuses the heck out of them and they just have to come get a closer look.

You don't have to use a center fire rifle either. But you will kill more with it.

You don't have to be quiet and not slam car doors. But you will kill more if you are.

You don't have to even leave your couch and TV set. But you will kill more if you do.

You don't have to have any camo but you will Kill more with it. Period.

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, it looks like I have stirred up a few opinions. 99 percent of the time I have on some type of camo. Sunday I decided to be different and prove a point. You don't always need camo. A week ago I killed a yote at over 300 yards, that's as close as it would come in. I was camoed from head to toe and in the shade with a good break up cactus and mesquite behind me. If I hadn't of been decked out I don't think the yote would have come in that close. Everu stand is different and one should be adaptable to be successful.

20 years ago I did almost all my calling in a pair of blue jeans and a neutral shirt. Killed lots of dogs. Back in those days you could sit in the back of a truck in a lawn chair in broad daylight and call your share of coyotes. With hunting pressure the coyotes have smartened up a tad. I think as has been mentioned that being still and having something to break up your outline is much more important than what camo you wear. I Bow hunt so I have a closet full of various camo so I usually wear it. But I don,t feel handicapped wearing a pair of carhart jeans,(Brown) and a solid tan shirt. Most camo is to dark for desert hunting anyway.

Scott.

Bob, I appreciate your humour!

My take on camo is that while not always absolutely necessary, I like to have every EDGE I can get and I do believe that camo provides an edge the closer the critters get! I've had crows and hawks come and sit in the same tree I was leaning up against and this with the leaves off (the crow paid dearly for his transgression;0). What's even more amazing was that they flew over a large open ground coming straight in towards me. There was NO WAY they didn't see me because they did. Point is though, they didn't RECOGNIZE me!
You are right about setup and movement being the most important things. Heck, you could have a ghillie suit on but if there are no coyotes in the area, it's not going to help. As far as movement goes, stillness is next to Godliness ALTHOUGH I believe that a blind and perhaps even a ghillie suit will afford you a litte bit of movement. Trees, bushes, grass, leaves, etc. all move from time to time, sometimes alot. Nevertheless, stillness is ALWAYS next to Godliness. I believe that the extra EDGE that most of the hunters on this forum seek can and does make the difference from time to time on coyotes that lurk but don't necessarily show their faces to hunters without that edge (camo, cover scent, decoys, etc.).
Again, I do appreciate your humour and also that of the guy in the picture with the shotgun killed coyote and the orange camo vest!
Gerry Blair once called some coyotes in wearing a Santa Claus suit! Now THAT'S confidence!!! LOL!

The coyote I killed was called in (I was supposed to be deer hunting, but got tired of just watching the trees grow, and pulled out my Crit'R-Call Pee-Wee), and there was lots of scattered brush in the woods there, which helped to keep the coyote from spotting me sooner.

But a hunter would have seen that bright orange, even through the brush, far sooner than the coyote did. Actually, when the coyote got in to about 20 steps, coming straight at me, I lip-squeaked, and I think he saw my lips move. As soon as I did that, he tried to turn around.... too late! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Coyotes absolutely and positively do not notice blaze orange.

BTW, the gun is a 50-caliber T/C Omega.

One picture says more than a thousand words Critr! I must have been in a hurry when I wrote shotgun (your muzzleloader looks like a Knight MK85--state of the art equipment). Those .50's don't lose too many arguments with 'yotes do they?;0)
Good Hunting!
Mike

Dogs are colorblind yes? now I know that has nothing to do with why we wear colored camo, but I bet that purple gun makes a pretty good disruptive pattern when viewed in greytones.

Sweet rifle, nice dog!

Back