Called in a beautiful Cougar taken with my bow

Originally Posted By: FullCryHoundsGreat story. FYI, most lions will lay on thier kill or right next to it all day/night long until the kill is eaten. When you walk up on a kill, they will either lay flat to the ground hoping you walk by or they will get up and walk away slowly. So if you find a kill you have a good chance of stalking into it and finding your cat still laying there.

This info I was aware of and use caution when sneaking into a kill. Just haven't seen one on the actual kill yet. I have heard many stories from others bumping cats off of kills.

Originally Posted By: soundogshooterBeautiful cats.
Why does that second cat have a collar on it?

Outlawbiz is right. They use the collar for monitoring populations, travel routes, heath, etc. They will locate the cat from time to time throughout the year. Run it up a tree, tranq it and then take measurements, weigh it, and record all types of data about the cats. No they are using some GPS collars that are helping the GFP watch the travel patterns and figure out the core areas and distances they travel through out the course of a year.

The stuff he said about the rabies vac is funny though.

OutlawBiz I hunt in a lot of different areas throughout the hills but am finding most of my cats in areas near feeding areas for deer that most people wouldn't consider walking into. Most of the places I have stands I can't see more than 30-40 yards. Don't stop calling too early and make sure you call for 60-90 minutes. Make sure that you don't quit early and sneak in to your spot as quietly as possible.

Originally Posted By: wishin4dogsUm...hunt of the month nomination anyone? Calling and killing a cat is one feat, but with a bow? WOW!

thumbup.gif
I agree

Originally Posted By: OutlawBizOriginally Posted By: wishin4dogsUm...hunt of the month nomination anyone? Calling and killing a cat is one feat, but with a bow? WOW!

thumbup.gif
I agree

Outstanding and I agree as well!

Thanks for all of the good words folks, I am still pretty stoked from the hunt. Now I am going out with other people from the area and trying to help them get lions too. This is by far my favorite hunting season of the year. I will post pics if I am able to help a friend get one.

Sweet cat!! Nice bow also! You ever concerned sneaking into your stand in the dark that a cat is stalking you? I'm from the east, wouldn't have a clue about cat behavior.

Originally Posted By: kilcoySweet cat!! Nice bow also! You ever concerned sneaking into your stand in the dark that a cat is stalking you? I'm from the east, wouldn't have a clue about cat behavior.

Thanks on the cat congrats. Loving the bow. I had just gotten it as a partial gift during christmas so I traded in my old Mathews Q2, tuned it, and had finished sighting it in just before the beginning of the season.

Early on hunting lions I had at times been a little leery sneaking into stands in the dark. I take that chance every time I sneak in or out of a stand here in the Black Hills, especially after calling them. No matter what season I am hunting it could be a possibility. Personally after having hunted them for five years and learning a lot of their habits. I am not too concerned about getting attacked. I guess it is a chance that I am willing to accept. Cats are typically elusive and shy. They will avoid human contact as much as possible. They don't seem to be afraid of us, they just seem to want to avoid us.

Back