Call Cabinet

Rocky1

Well for lack of a more appropriate place to put this, I'm going to stick it in the Hand Calls section, if the powers that be think it needs to be elsewhere, put 'er wherever you feel it appropriate.

These images are all clickable thumbnails if you guys want a closer look at any of it. Just trying to be thoughtful of the guys on dial-up since there is a bunch of pictures.

I had posted a picture of my new call cabinet awhile back. But, it's seen numerous improvements, and the project might afford a few of you guys ideas for your own cabinets, so I figured maybe a project thread was in order... The sweetheart picked this little gem up at a second hand shop here in town for a whopping $15!

Needed some half shelves in it, so I can store twice as many calls! So... a trip to Menards and $25 later we returned home with 3 chunks of 1/2" x 6" Oak Shelving.

Brad nailer and some 1 1/8" brads made quick and simple work of that task with exception to the one shelf I measured wrong. Sweet thing about the brad nailer is; it don't leave big unsightly holes where you screw up!

Since the new shelves needed a coat of varnish, and the original cabinet didn't have the greatest finish on it either. Everything got a light sanding and a fresh coat of Minwax or 4.

And, since we can't have all those gorgeous calls our master call makers here at PM turn, hiding in the dark; the project also called for a little LED Strip Lighting to make it all pretty inside!!

Should any of you guys contemplate this strip lighting thingy, the best deal I found was Light Enhancing Designs Four LED Light Strip Kit, was only $29.99, and it came complete with:

-- 4 - 1 foot LED Strips
-- Mounting brackets, screws, double sided tape, and strip end caps
-- Power converter
-- On/Off Switch
-- 4 - 2 ft. cables
-- 4 - 3 inch cables for side by side installations.

Everyone else was twice this price, even for the same kit!! Most sold you LED strips only and you had to try to find the remainder and piece it together. (Even Menards!) Service was excellent!! I ordered the kit on Sunday night, it shipped USPS Flat Rate box out of south Florida, and I had it in North Dakota Thursday morning, at 8 a.m.

Installation was simple and easy... Pilots holes go a long way to preserving your sanity on the mounting brackets, as they have some little bitty wood screws in there. A $6 roll of Gorilla Tape worked nicely to tuck the wires up in the corners underneath the shelf and securely fasten it's entire length, so as to hide all the wires. It also worked nicely to tame the mess in back where everything tied together in the junction box, so only 1 cord comes out the side for lightning.

When I looked at the bottom picture up here, I went back and tore off strips of Gorilla tape about a 1/4" wide and taped them over the front of my LED strips to cut down on light shining out above the doors.

Cabinet all finished up, hauled home, and parked in the living room

Looks kinda purty over there in the corner honestly, and it matches the Coffee Table and End Tables to boot!! (o:?

Cabinet all loaded up with calls...

Antique calls behind the cut glass door.

As much as I hate to say it after polishing all that glass, it looks even purtier in there with the door raised.

Shelf full of our master call turners' works in the middle!

And, I've got room for more calls guys! Y'all get busy turning!!

Over all we're pretty impressed with this buy. With a little fixing it looks great, and is VERY functional. Have about $80 total, and maybe 10 hours invested in it. Couldn't ask for a sweeter home for my calls though!

Looks good Rocky and looks like ya have room for more?
thumbup.gif

The other nifty thing about the LED lighting in a call cabinet is... they run really cool guys!!! You can leave those lights on for days and the surface of that LED strip is room temperature. They're very call friendly!!

Likewise, they are really energy efficient. If my electrical math is correct, these lights run for like 2 cents a day. If left on all the time.

Thanks guys...

As much work as you guys put into those calls, I figured they deserve a nice home.

The sweetheart gets most of the credit, she spotted the cabinet and texted me saying, "I think I should buy this for your calls; what do you think?" It is of course, very hard to argue with logic like that out of a woman!! And, she'd already bought it, before I got the text and replied. Drug it in the house before thinking about it much, then decided it needed lighting and a fresh coat of Varnish.

Fixing it up really didn't take a whole lot. Hardest part of the whole deal, was probably trying to get it in the back of the jeep to bring it home. Too tall to stand up, to long to lay down. Just kinda tilted her up against the back of the seats, eased the endgate closed, and drove slow!

It should be good for at least a hundred more calls! (o;?

Last edited:
Walleye was 11 lbs. 3 oz. 31 1/2 inches long.

Caught that one on a J11C Rap, on the tailrace at Garrison Dam. Have to fish the nightshift down there for the BIG ones. Power consumption and thus flows fall off about 10 - 11 at night mid-summer, that's when the big walleye move in.

Crappie was 1 lb. 14 oz. 15 inches long.

Caught that one fishing a 1/32" ounce jig, with a white plastic spike, under a slip bobber, on the McClusky Canal. Basically ice fishing tackle, I use 2 - 3 small split shot spread 8 - 10 inches apart to weight it to neutral bouyancy so there's no resistance on the bobber. Fish it all summer on an ultra-light to torment little fishes into biting. This big one was looking for a snack.

My oldest son caught a Bluegill weighed 1 lb. and 12 oz. on the same rig, again fishing mid-summer.

--> Better fish pictures here

Quote: As much work as you guys put into those calls, I figured they deserve a nice home.

Thtas collector talk there for sure.
grin.gif
And a wife that supports it, is even better!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: ohioyotehntrVery nice way to display the calls. I really like your collection of vintage stuff. I'm starting to get into them

Keep a close eye on E-Bay, they seem to run in streaks. See a lot of vintage calls for awhile, then they taper off. Occasional estate goes on the auction block, and you'll see a lot from one seller. It's E-bay, sometimes the prices are good, sometimes they are ridiculously high. Sometime stupidity prevails!

If you don't already have it pick up a copy of "Predator Calls the First 50 Years" and use it as a guideline for what you want to spend. It's a great book for the call collector anyhow, a lot of interesting information in there.

Back