buying a new press

freddie

Im in the market for a new press. I've reloaded on others equipment but never had my own. All I've ever used were single stage presses. I have narrowed my search down to a Lee press. Should I get the classic cast or get the classic turret press. Also, whats the difference in the RCBS 502 and 505 scale?

Originally Posted By: freddieIm in the market for a new press. I've reloaded on others equipment but never had my own. All I've ever used were single stage presses. I have narrowed my search down to a Lee press. Should I get the classic cast or get the classic turret press. Also, whats the difference in the RCBS 502 and 505 scale?

What impressed you so much about the Lee?

Im open to others too, I've read a good amount of reviews and lee seems to be just as good as the rcbs. I guess I should have stated that my options were lee or rcbs. And the Lee is still made in U.S.A

Originally Posted By: freddieIm open to others too, I've read a good amount of reviews and lee seems to be just as good as the rcbs. I guess I should have stated that my options were lee or rcbs. And the Lee is still made in U.S.A

True.

Have you looked at the Redding Big Boss II?

Made in the USA also. Very nice single stage press. Just food for thought.

Also, the RCBS is questionable for made in USA. Maybe machined and assembled in America, but might be cast in China. Just saying.

I looked at them all at the store and ended up with the RCBS. Lee was too sloppy and did not seem nearly made as well as hornady, rcbs, or redding big boss II. Big boss II is probably the best made except for forster co-ax but it was more than I wanted to spend. Get RCBS, Redding, or Forster in my opinion spend more now but less in the long run.

Originally Posted By: freddie
"... and lee seems to be just as good as the rcbs."

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I've had pretty much of everything on the bench in the past 50 yrs. Pacific, Herters, C&H, Lyman, Hornady, Lee and RCBS and a couple more. I abandoned RCBS in the early 1980's it was worth more in trade than as a loader. My current set up is a Lee Cast Classic Turret because I can keep so many sets of dies all set up and change out so quickly, I believe I have eight heads set up with up to two cartridges/head. Second press is a Lyman Crusher II for any heavy work I might encounter.

The Forster Coax and the Redding Big Boss II have the best spent primer recovery of them all. This not only keeps things clean but also keeps that nasty carbon from falling down around the ram and wearing things out.

The best out there. IMO.

I come at this from a different place than most. I shoot handguns the most, I am a IDPA and USPSA competitor. Do yourself a favor and Google those two organizations if you are not familiar with them. It's one thing for Billy Bob, your uncle to say that he likes this press or that press and he reloads 500 rounds per year on the unit. It's quite another for competitor after competitor to choose a press. This is a copy of the 2012 National Equipment survey that you might enjoy.

Some of these guys are sponsored but most of them are just serious shooter who not only shot in their local matches but also went and shot at the nationals of their chosen sport. There is so much great information here. But your question is about reloading presses. The Blue press, Dillon had 189 competitors using their machine and Lee had 10 people at Nationals using their equipment. Remember, most of these guys are not sponsored and they buy what works and is durable.

If I was looking for a new press it would be BLUE in color. By the way, I have been using a Blue colored press since 1983 and been very happy with service and support and the product still works great. http://www.aafgidpa.com/admin/equpment_survey.htm

The Lee Classic Cast press is a good value. I would stick to the single stage fore more consistant loads. The die holder moves a little on the turret press. The RCBS 502 works great also. I have loaded thousands of rounds in a number of calibers using both products and I am still using them. They are priced where you won't break the bank. Some of the other cheaper Lee presses I would shy from if your doing a lot of reloading.

Make sure you get the weight kit for the scales so you can calibrate them.

I use both a RCBS Rock Chucker and Turret press in my loading room. The Turret press is by far my favorite, 6 dies set in each head (I have 2 heads) and it makes switching between dies fast and easy since I don"t waste time setting the die each time I switch. I have been using the Turret press for over 7 years now.

Originally Posted By: freddieThanks for the replies. I actually found a really good deal on a Rockchucker II that I may end up buying.

Definitely won't go wrong with the Rockchucker.

Originally Posted By: freddieWell the deal fell through on the RC2 I found. Still looking though

Well fortunately for you... that still leaves you the opportunity to buy a Forster Co-Ax

Back