Bushnell 6500 Elite?

I would sure like to keep in touch and hear more on your findings of the Forge from both or all of you. Hands on true experience goes a lot farther than advertisement and people promoting a product.

The bean counters have struck. Folks making decisions about optics that know very little at most about optics, or what hunters and shooters have come to expect.

If you get any warranty it will be replaced by new glass rather than repaired. Notice I say new NOT better. Hate to see this turn of events with this company. I emailed them early this year, not any kind of response, which I did not expect any way.
The tactical line will stay the same. The rest of the lines have all been replaced. No more Japan glass. China, Phillipines and Korea.

In a nutshell, maybe some wow factor, but quality and clarity are done. Oh sure read up on the new improved, but it is a lesser product for the same or more money.

Jeff

Last edited:
Seems the bean counters have taken over just about everything these days. Quality went out the window years ago. Budget rifles are scopes are just a couple of examples.

The last couple of years, every new build or new gun that I've had I told myself I was going to put a more economically priced scope on it. Yeah, great idea, until I start looking through some of the other options I'm considering, then that keeping it economical stuff goes right out the window.

Probably the best and worst thing I've ever done is spend the money for a high quality piece of glass because once you get used to really good optics, you're screwed, and it's hard to go back to the other stuff.

I agree whole heartedly with B23. I was in my late 20's to mid 30's before I could afford a good piece of glass. The best day to buy glass is the day you would not buy a car, dreary, nasty cloudy over cast day in the rain. All of them look good on blue bird days, or inside in the store.
Cry once and it will serve one well. B&L then Bushnell worked their way up the past 25-30 years to have a pretty darn good line at least for my eyes. This new management has taken a major step backwards from what I have seen.

Vortex may get some money from me in the future. Leupold and Burris for sure.

I'm a pretty big fan of Nikon scopes. Never had one that didn't have great glass. I tried a NF and for the money and my type of shooting, I wasn't very happy with it and sold it. Sightron is another great scope, IMO, and their CS is fantastic. I tried an Athlon....just to tactical for me and there were things I didn't like about them also. The knob on the lighted reticle was so tight you needed pliers to turn it on, and I really don't care for lighted reticles as I do no night hunting. I have a gunsmith friend that refuses to pay more than $300 for a scope. Well, I can't agree with that at all.

I don't care for my Monarch 4-16, holds a zero perfectly, but the eye relief shortens considerably as you power up and darkens alot from 14-16 power. My Sightrons are better(4-20 power).

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI don't care for my Monarch 4-16, holds a zero perfectly, but the eye relief shortens considerably as you power up and darkens alot from 14-16 power. My Sightrons are better(4-20 power).

And this is usually where lower quality/price point scopes really start to expose themselves. On low power, lots of scopes appear to be pretty decent, but as you crank up the power setting, they show their weaknesses.

Nikon, for me, is one of those scopes I've never understood. Nikon's Nikkor camera lenses are some of, if not, the very best lenses you can get, but IMO, their rifle scopes are just kind of, meh, and I've yet to see one I fell in love with.

One scope that I've been very impressed with, optically, is the Swarovski X5. It comes with a pretty hefty price tag but, WOW, is that thing crystal clear and bright! All the way through the power range, it remains clear as can be. It's a very impressive scope, but then they go and put that huge elevation turret on top and ruined it.

I agree on the Nikons, they do seem to loose it on the upper end. They don't focus under 50yds either. But for most of my uses they work pretty well. I have also quit using scope much over 14-16 power. This helps a little.

I think the only Nikon I had was a pistol scope. As I recall it was like other variables in a pistol scope, eye relief went to crap at the upper end and the 8x was no better than my 6x.

I got a Sightron on a rifle I bought years ago. I forget which model. I had read on them quite a bit. I really liked it and it tracked well.

I never owned but have had the chance to use a couple of NF scopes. I was not impressed with the clarity at the upper end at all. I think the absolute repeatability sells them as much as anything.

I have one Millet on my AR now. For the money I can't complain. Also a Bushnell company. I had one of the LRS 6-25's for a year or two. Have to admit it is a ridiculous scope. Huge is an understatement. Had it mounted on my Savage F/TR in 308. It got us to 1550 yards with out any issue. However, much over 21-22x it got a bad ring around the outside. Clarity and tracking was darn good for what it cost. Buddy put one on a project 50BMG. He also runs his about 22x and has no complaints for what it is.

I do t care for a "busy" reticle either. The Horus on my Bushnell tactical still throws me fits. My fault really as I need to shoot it more.

Look forward to positives on the new glass Bill, got my fingers crossed for ya bud.
Jeff

Back