Build or Buy a 7mm-08 for next years Hunt?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeChupa,
Get well and I hope we can meet up.

All packed now.

Sounds good bro! Holler at me when you get squared away.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunDamm Mike, we just got called "wealths of knowledge"
laugh.gif

The above blueprint Mike has referred to has well been tried and true by many we know, for years. We aren't guessing here if it will suck or shoot. I'd go with a slightly larger recoil lug also. About a .250 or so. Maker doesn't really mattter, Tubb, Callahan, Holland, Superior, Sunny Hill, whoever. Anything larger will require saome dremel Tool work and is really not needed. All od mine are .300 or larger, but they are for heavier guns.

FWIW, Pac-Nor tubes run large, as far as contours are concerned. A #4 is the smallest diameter they will flute, and it is wise to specify shank length.

I like the Sako hunter style Mcmillan stock, and may just go Rock over Pac-Nor.....

'Laffin, thanks for the kind word, Chupa.

I had a Mike Rock #3 contour and they fluted it. I had one McMillan, Sako hunter stock. It was a VERY comfy stock and I like the pattern.

I'm a huge fan of the Mnt rifle stock. My fav for hunting, but I like a small, light weight, compact rifle for hunting. Ended up selling my #3 contour with a McM Classic. I couldn't get warmed up the the "classic" feel.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeContours can be had in factory sizes aswell ie; Mtn R ,sporter, varmint. Have them dupe a factory size and it will make stock fitting much easier.

Tim, good point and they seem to sell better if you decided to go with a different stock/pattern later down the road.

Factory Rem LVSF contour is about the same as a #3 contour.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeChupa,
Get well and I hope we can meet up.

All packed now.

Tim,

Don't forget, Im going to crawl into your luggage when you leave...

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeContours can be had in factory sizes aswell ie; Mtn R ,sporter, varmint. Have them dupe a factory size and it will make stock fitting much easier.

Tim, good point and they seem to sell better if you decided to go with a different stock/pattern later down the road.

Factory Rem LVSF contour is about the same as a #3 contour.

I'm learnin .
wink.gif

Rock will flute a #3. PN won't. PN sizes run large.

A #3 Rock Creek in a Sako Hunter would be tastey, IMO. I like the Mt. Rifle pattern much better than the Classic also, but would have to go with a skinnier tube. PN #1 or #2.........

Thanks for the responses fellas. Based on your comments I have a bit more reasearch to do. Cooper may not be the way to go for this caliber but we'll see.

This will be a lightweight hunting rifle for mainly woods hunting with the occasional clearing or powerline shot offering 300 yards and some change.

I'd like the barrel to be a Chromemoly matte finish or painted FDE. The stock will most likely be some sort of camo. I don't plan on running this out for LD shooting but I do favor the feel and looks of a stronger pistol style grip in a stock. Like mentioned in my OP, I would like the rifle to weigh in at 7.0 +/- 0.5 lbs.

I'm also not a huge fan of fluting from a purely asthetic taste unless it's in a bull barrel. Who knows though, the more I look, that could change.

Now I just need to do some googling on some of the items (barrels namely) that you guys have listed. Plus I have no idea what a trued 700 action goes for.

-Adam

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI think most churches would be a better place if they contained rifles......

Wouldn't be the first time around here
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HornytoadJust get a x-bolt varmint special.

I've got a couple. I just don't want to see 'em getting beat up in the elements I hunt in so I'm building a beater gun. Thanks.
thumbup1.gif

I wantd the same thing. A good shooting rifle for white-tail and such. Usually, I use Hart barrels but this rifle , I went with a XX Douglas. I already had a trued action (700 Rem.), so all I needed was a barrel. I pillared and bedded my original BDL stock, then had it Hydro dipped camo. I chose a 7mm08 Ackley caliber, mainly cause the cases are so darn cool looking and a few more FPS. The trigger is a finely tuned factory that is light and breaks like glass. With me doing most of the stock work and my smith doing the barrel work I have right at $1000. in the rifle, minus optics. I have an extremely accurate (sub 1/2 in. groups) hunting rig that is a pleasure to shoot and carry. The 7mm08 is a fantastic cartridge and is NOT just for kids and women. Although, if you let them shoot it, you may never get it back. Just a thought for ya.

Trued Rem 700 action
Brux 7mm barrel 9 twist in #3 contour finished at 22"
McMillan Classic, color Olive in ADL
Tuned 700 trigger to 2.5#
Metal cerakoted Matte Black
Talley LW's
Leupold 2.5-8 with M1 elevation turret.

My 7mm-08 build that is at the smith's now and should be done April sometime. Easily under your budget, especially if you have any of your components already. I would go with a 2 contour if you are doing an all around rig where you do any walking. Mine is going to be in a stand most of the time.

Been doing a lot on this since Jan 1st. My build should go as follows and most if not all the components have already been ordered. I've contact Jon Beanland in OK to perform all the smith work on the barrel/action, pillar bed the stock and cerakote the metal.

7mm-08
- Action: Rem 700 custom (Trued, spiral fluted bolt, web skeletonized handle, standard shifter by Kampfeld)
- Trigger: Old school Rem Trigger @ 2.5lbs
- Barrel: #2 contour 5 groove 1:9 finished at 23" in which ever I can get fastest (looks like a Pac Nor or Krieger. Bartlien and Rock are options as well.) Beanland has no preference and was very pleasant to speak with on the phone.
- Cerakote: Barreled action, bolt, bottom metal (standard BDL or ADL) and Talley rings (Gun metal or graphite black)
- Stock: McMillan Sako Hunter (Swirl in black and tan combo)
- Pillar bedded by Beanland
- Optic: Trusty old VX3 in 3.5-10x40

I'd go slow, maybe build two rifles instead of one.

Start off with a Rem 700 SPS Stainless, replace the stock with a McMillen. This rifle will shoot 1/2" or better.

The 7/08 with a 130g Speer BT and IMR 4895 with a 9 1/2 is some bad JU JU on whitetails to 325 yds that we have shot them at.

That rifle should be perfect, IMO. Almost as nice as an X-Bolt
lol.gif

My 2 favorite whitetail loads for the 7-08 are a 140gr Nos Part over 46gr IMR 4350 (the old standby for years), and more recently, 120gr TSX over 44gr R-15.

7-08 is the best whitetail cartridge out there, IMO......

Here's my 7mm08AI.

IMG_0002.jpg

Trued Remmy action, 5A Douglas Air Guaged barrel w/10 twist, 26 inchs long. Factory BDL stock, floated, bedded and pillared.

Last edited:
Back