Budget Savage Calling Rifle Project

shelton573

So I had plans this year to put together a heavy 260 Rem or 6.5x47 for a long range rig. But now, I recently took a job back home so I will be leaving Iowa and making my way back to Missouri in the next couple weeks. Missouri is where I do the majority of my coyote hunting so I considered scratching the long range rig for now and considered doing a budget lightweight calling rig. I plan to use a savage top bolt release action if I can find one reasonably priced but have been kicking around the idea of trying one of the model 11 TH bottom bolt release actions since there are some after market stocks becoming available. I have been considering doing a 6x47 lapua with a 1:8 twist or something smaller like a 20 practical. I currently do not have anything in the 6mm or 20 cal family so that's why I am considering these. If I did the 6x47 I would likely use it for deer every now and then when I don't feel like bringing out the 270. I realize they are two VERY different calibers, but they are the two that intrigue me for a fun little calling rifle.

Here are my thoughts:

-22 or 24" barrel in a sporter contour. What would be your alls recommendation for barrel manufacturer? We have had great results with shilen so far and one real bad experience that my buddy is still working through with McGowen so they are out (not saying they are a bad company, I just don't like the way they are trying to dodge the blame for heavy tooling marks on the rifling by the crown which we think is what is causing the 3-4" groups a 100). I am considering an X-caliber (they don't list a 6x47 though) or BHW.

-Possibly a Boyd's pro varmint stock and have it bedded by the gunsmith back home. This should keep the cost down.

-Preferably use an action with an accutrigger and just install the 1.5 lb NSS trigger spring. (This turned out REALLY nice on my 223...worth the $10) but if not a Timney.

-Talley LW one piece rings.

-Vortex DB HP 3-12x42 or Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 for the glass.

Any input on the setup or a different caliber I should consider would be much appreciated. I am not concerned about saving pelts and I do hand load so ammo is not an issue. Shots will typically be 300 yds or closer but could go farther. Any additional info on the 20 practical as far as the process for making brass, optimal barrel twist for heavier bullets, etc. would be much appreciated as I continue to read about the cartridge. Also, as I understand, the 6x47 is a direct neck down from the 6.5x47 brass and then load?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I am hearing great reports from some very knowledgeable people on the quality and customer service of X-Caliber. And I think I'd pick the 260.

If your not worried about pelts and coyotes are on the agenda I'd go with the 6x47L, be careful ordering dies and barrels as there is a old fairly common bench rest cartridge called the 6x47 and it the 222 Rem Mag necked to 6mm(I hunt with an Improved version of it). On a calling gun 22" looks good. On a calling rifle I like to have at least a 40" FOV on the bottom end, I get way more coyotes under 50 yards than over 200. I really like 1.5-6's and 2/2.5-10's on a calling rig, plain duplex or German #4, no turrets or parralax adjustments. Keep it simple on the stand, movement turning turrets or adjusting parralax will just get you busted, the 6x47L you can hold on fur to 300 yards with light bullets if running heavies maybe a ballisticplex type reticle.

Thoughts on a stock, run the original Savage stock to start. I have had very good luck with them if I hog out the barrel channel so there is no way the stock can hit the barrel. That said I use sticks not a bipod so I'm not thying to hang any weight on the forend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcs271I am hearing great reports from some very knowledgeable people on the quality and customer service of X-Caliber. And I think I'd pick the 260.
Yea it seems they are getting quite the following here! And I am putting the 260 on hold until I put together the real heavy gun. Might be pretty neat though in the light barrel setup though

Originally Posted By: AWSIf your not worried about pelts and coyotes are on the agenda I'd go with the 6x47L, be careful ordering dies and barrels as there is a old fairly common bench rest cartridge called the 6x47 and it the 222 Rem Mag necked to 6mm(I hunt with an Improved version of it). On a calling gun 22" looks good. On a calling rifle I like to have at least a 40" FOV on the bottom end, I get way more coyotes under 50 yards than over 200. I really like 1.5-6's and 2/2.5-10's on a calling rig, plain duplex or German #4, no turrets or parralax adjustments. Keep it simple on the stand, movement turning turrets or adjusting parralax will just get you busted, the 6x47L you can hold on fur to 300 yards with light bullets if running heavies maybe a ballisticplex type reticle.

Thoughts on a stock, run the original Savage stock to start. I have had very good luck with them if I hog out the barrel channel so there is no way the stock can hit the barrel. That said I use sticks not a bipod so I'm not thying to hang any weight on the forend.

That 6.5x47 thing kinda tripped me up when I was looking at dies hah...Forgot to put the Lapua part at the end. I think a 2.5-10 would pair pretty well with it, might have to give it a try. I don't think I would want to go much lower than that though. When you hog out the channel does it not make it much more flimsy?

I just wrap coarse sandpaper around an appropriate deep socket or piece of dowel and take out enough to make it hard to push the forend against the barrel a good solid 1/8 to 3/16. It doesn't seem to make it any worse than before.

Last edited:
Good deal! Might just go that route then and see how I like it. Can always change it up later if need be! I have always liked the way the savage stocks feel for being cheap.

Look at Black Hole Weaponry barrels. I don't use any other these days and they are more than perfect for your build. I have 8 savage builds from 20P to 7-08 with their barrels and all shoot .250" to .780" @ 100 yds depending on my hand loads.

How about something like this........ It is a stevens short action with a 24" Shilen (savage magnum) contour barrel. It is a 6mm-250 with a 12 twist. It spits out 75g vmax's at 3400fps. That is an old redfield 6x-18x scope on top.

Mike

P9050072_zps5431f4ef.jpg

P9060080_zpsf04c58ab.jpg

Not quite so pretty but a coyote killing machine, it has been my favorite pelt hunting rig

Savage 11 action re-chambered from 223 to 22-204(222 Rem Mag Improved), 40gr NBT'sat 3950 fps from a 22" barrel, Burris Signature Select 1.5-6x40mm, factory youth stock(I'm short)

Originally Posted By: nockhunter How about something like this........ It is a stevens short action with a 24" Shilen (savage magnum) contour barrel. It is a 6mm-250 with a 12 twist. It spits out 75g vmax's at 3400fps. That is an old redfield 6x-18x scope on top.

Mike

P9050072_zps5431f4ef.jpg

P9060080_zpsf04c58ab.jpg

That's a sharp looking rig! Whats the advantage of the 6-250 over the regular 243? More efficient? I don't guess I have heard of anyone doing one...I don't get out much lol. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: AWSNot quite so pretty but a coyote killing machine, it has been my favorite pelt hunting rig

Savage 11 action re-chambered from 223 to 22-204(222 Rem Mag Improved), 40gr NBT'sat 3950 fps from a 22" barrel, Burris Signature Select 1.5-6x40mm, factory youth stock(I'm short)

Now you opened a can of worms for me lol. I have been reading on this since you posted it last night. It seems that it falls somewhere between the 223 and the 223 AI correct? from what I read it will run the 75 gr bullets pretty quick too. What all do you have to do to prep brass? Just neck up from 204? Any info is much appreciated!

It is slightly bigger than a 223 AI 1/2 to 1 gr more capacity and no fire forming. I use a Redding 204 Ruger Type S FL Bushing die and changed out the guts to .224, expander ball, shaft and bushing. It is too long for a small Sako, 527 and Mini Mauser.

It is a great one to rechamber a 223 to as you don't have to set the barrel back like an AI.

I shoot a 6mm-204 and a 25-204, the 6 I built to shoot Lead Frees, 55 NBT LF and 62gr VG's, the 25 is one of my deer rifles with 100 gr Partitions at 2850fps solid proven performance for 100 years as it duplicates the 250-3000 Savage factory loads.

Last edited:
Thanks

You are correct, more efficient. I burn much less powder with the lighter bullets, 10% or more less powder. I am running powder charges in the mid 30g range with the 75g vmax for 3400 fps. The 243 would be in the mid 40g range. I get less noise, recoil, muzzle flash and more loads per pound of powder. I can't reach top velocity with the heavies, but the heaviest bullet I shoot is the 85g Sierra HPGK, at 3150 fps for deer. The 6mm-250 has been around since the 70's, it was pretty popular with the bench rest guys for a while. It was my first venture into the wildcat arena. Real easy to form, 22-250 brass run up into a 6mm-250 re-size die and done, load, shoot, repeat......

Mike

P.S. for reference, the cartridges in the pic are 222rem, 223rem, 6mm-250, and 243win

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys! I have a pile of 22-250 brass and my buddy has a bunch of 204 brass so I will have to weigh my options.

I have started hunting for the donor rifle now. Has anyone done any rebarreling or "customizing" with the bottom bolt release rifles? Other than the smooth barrel nut and the bolt release, I figure it should be the same to work with.

It is the same type of build. The wrench for the barrel nut is different, and if you decide to change the stock, you have to order for what ever type of bolt release you have.

Mike

Whenever I started putting together a couple rifles for my buddies I bought the 2 wrench set from wheeler so I should be good to go. Whenever you posted about it the other day I went straight to their website to see if they had any data hah. It seems to be a pretty impressive and efficient little cartridge! Thanks again for all of your info!

Haven't been on here in a while with the move back home and starting the new job. Last night on my way back from St. Louis my buddy called and said he wanted me to buy his model 11 22-250 from him for $300. The gun looks nearly new but has a chunk taken out of the butt pad...no big deal. So I guess it's time to really start deciding on a caliber and barrel brand....

3937435E-C928-4600-A413-BBECA8E7BB38.jpg

7131D4BC-C4DF-4BB7-BFBC-749FA9FE179C.jpg

Back