Bubba and Dash, the Dynamic Duo! The Final Chapter!

Mike, I can't wait to hear (and see) the rest of the story!
Maybe I should wait to ask this question after you have finished telling your story, but I am impatient, so I will ask now.
Did you observe any difference in the coyotes behavior with having 2 dogs on the stand compared to the hunts where it was just you and Bubba? What I am trying to ask is did it seem some/any of the coyotes were intimidated by the fact there were 2 dogs?
I am just curious. I have read your stories over the years with great interest. So much so that I purchased a mountain cur pup from Dasher, in hopes that I could gain a hunting companion similar to Bubba.

Thanks
Durwin

Rooster,

Good question. Yes, I did notice a big difference in coyote response to two dogs. So much so that I quit calling on the edge of wide open areas and tried to find spots where the coyotes would be within 300 yards before seeing the dogs. Hard to tell if it was early in the season and thus coyotes being less aggressive or if two dogs was too intimidating. I'll get a better feel as the season progresses. Most of my shots were around 200 yards. I've noticed this before, so much so that I would leave Bubba at the truck on every other stand. I quit doing that after getting a triple when Bubba was with me. Figured it all evened out. Some stands the dog scares away the coyote, other stands the dog helps to get more than one or two. The only time the dogs stayed in the boxes on this hunt was when I went after the deer. I've come to enjoy having the dogs working a stand more so than killing a coyote on my own without the dogs. It's hard to understand unless your a dog guy.

As for the new pup, hunt him often and he should pick it up quickly. Keep up with this thread and you'll see what I mean.

I've always loved your Bubba stories Mike. Now it's gonna be Bubba and Dash stories. Can't wait to see how this young dog progresses.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Mike,
Had to save your story from falling too far into the archives...now its back ttt so you can add to the story. :) I bet people already have their hearts racing when they see it move to page one...thinking the story has a new chapter!!

Quote: bet people already have their hearts racing when they see it move to page one...thinking the story has a new chapter!!

Yup got me!

It’s now noon and I’m pulling into a gas pump jack to park. Learned this trick from Redfrog. Out in flat country there’s not many places to hide a pickup. Redfrog would drive right up to the gas/oil wells, get out, walk a very short distance, and start calling. I was dumbfounded the first time we did this, thinking there’s no way a coyote will come to the stand as the pickup can be easily seen. I was wrong! Heck, our most memorable stand was having a pair howling and charging into our stand while a well hand was pumping oil into a semi not 200 yards away! That made a believer out of me. Anyway, as I was pulling up to the well a coyote runs off. I jumped out, take a rest on the hood and fire. The wind was blowing pretty good so the bullet drifted about 13 inches (250 yards) (I hate that about the .204!) and hit him in the haunches. He ran a ways then lay down behind a small hill. As you probably have guessed, Bubba took a flying leap out of the truck and was off! Dash waited for me to open the tailgate. I was able to hold Bubba back until we got to the fence that was less than 100 yards from the coyote. As I crawled under, he took off, missing where the coyote lay by 25 yards. The second he got directly down wind his nose went straight up in the air, he turned on a dime and was all over the coyote in a flash. The coyote is very alive and the fight is on. Dash, having never been this close to a live coyote saunters right up to it and promptly gets bit! He didn’t like that one bit and comes running back to me for moral support!

By this time though Bubba’s been bit a few times and as is always the case, is [beeep] bent to kill the coyote. He accomplishes the goal but not before I coax Dash to get back into the fight.
IMG_0146.jpg

As you can see, Dash is still mad.

Later in the day we had two coyotes coming in from two different directions. The one from the South came in first. I should have shot it at 150 yards but wanted the dogs to work. The coyote got to 40 yards then the dogs chased it back and forth a few times before it held up at 250 yards. It stood there for 5 minutes watching the dogs and then circling down wind. I finally took the shot, there’s a loud “whack” and the coyotes up and running with two dogs are chasing it out across a large flat.
Both dogs are out of transmitter range by now so I get to watch them chase it over one a hill at ½ mile and Dash go over the next hill at ¾ mile! Bubba came back but Dash just kept running it. He’s so young that he doesn’t know to turn around and come back. I was very worried and thought he was going to be lost. Loaded Bubba and we took off to a road that was close to where Dash went over the second hill. Once we got there, no pup. I was sick and was calling Shelly on the cell phone to tell her I’d lost Dash when he comes running over a distant hill, back tracking!! I was sure happy to see him. We loaded and on the next stand the dogs were acting very coyotee but I didn’t see anything (low light). I called them back and sure enough a mangy coyote skylighted a couple of minutes later. No telling how close he got as I never saw him. The next stand two coyotes run over the hill top as we were getting out of the truck. That was it for the day, saw 12 coyotes, of which, only one came to the calls. It appears to me once the coyotes see both dogs they're holding up. Maybe two is too many?

November 23, 2009

Another great morning, the winds straight out of the west and we’ll be hunting into the wind all day. A couple of years ago I wrote about parking at a cattle guard and walking and walking wondering where my calling hill was. Turns out I’d parked at the wrong cattle guard as it was one mile further than I thought. Well, that day we killed 6 coyotes. I was going to hunt the same area today and anticipation is high. Parked in the right spot this time and at the first howl, we have a whole chorus of coyotes about a mile up the drainage. We called for 15 minutes but nothing came in. Our next move was to get closer to the howling coyotes. After parking the truck, we took a long hike into where the coyotes were howling. This is a coulee with rolling hills lining the North side, which also happens to be Canada. The last time we were here we tripled. Once in place I let loose with a few greeting howls and the hills lit up with responses. I’ll continue to howl as long as they respond. We serenaded back and forth for a couple of minutes then I hit them with the dying rabbit. That’s all it took, two coyotes were charging from two different directions. I love it when a plan comes together. The only question now is which one would get to us first.

I keep looking back and forth and could tell they were both going to arrive at about the same time. Bubba locks in on the one coming from behind and out he goes. Dash watches Bubba and follows suit. The coyote pops over a hill at about 150 yards away and is charging hard! Let me tell you, trying to control one dog is hard enough, two is almost impossible, and still be able to shoot. They chase the coyote over the hill and I call them back. I look back to our front and there’s the first coyote. I get it to stop at 100 yards and put the thump on it. Dash and Bubba are on it in no time. I look back at the coyote behind us and it’s coming back in. Bubba sees it and is off. I get him to stop when the coyote’s 75 yards away. Only problem is I’m shooting off the fence post, and I suck at it! I shoot and the coyote runs off! Dag nabbit, I can’t tell you how many coyotes I’ve missed that way. Bubba runs back over the hill, I tone him back and the coyote’s right behind him. Ok, take your time Mike, you can do this. Hes down at the shot and both dogs are on him in a flash. Whew! That was exciting. I keep calling just for the heck of it and I be darned if another coyote isn’t coming from the SW. He’s a little leery and isn’t charging in. When he’s broadside at 216 yards I pull the hammer and we have our first triple of the year, and Dash’s first triple ever!

I found three stones to prop the coyotes on so I’m calling them “Stoned Coyotes”!

At noon were overlooking a large CRP field that produced one coyote the last time we were here. As I’m getting setup on a little rise, I see Bubba raise up his head and put his nose into the breeze. This always means he’s got a hot coyote scent. Sure enough, he’s off and I tone him to come back but get no response. Hmm, another tone and nothing. Hes kinda stubborn so I figure it’s time for a little shock to remind him who’s boss. Nothing! What, something must be wrong with the collar or he’s already out of range. He turns to look back at me and I’m frantically pushing buttons. When he doesn’t get a command he takes off at a trot. I watch as he trails to the middle of the field then a coyote stands up and Bubba barks at it. They do the mexican stand off looking and barking at each other and when Bubba figures out I’m not coming, he comes slinking back. I was fit to be tied. When he puts his head in my lap I can see the collar light is flashing red, which means to recharge.

Bubba goes in the box while his collar charged and me and Dash tried a few more stands. Without Bubba, Dash bores quickly and lays down. He’ll eventually get it.

CoyoteHunting2009-2010099.jpg

This is tough country, long cold winters, short summers and the wind always blows. Imagine trying to make a living with one of these babies! No doubt our forefathers were a very hardy lot.

CoyoteHunting2009-2010101.jpg

This beauty was parked not far from the old plow. Like I said earlier, technology has had a dramatic change in a very short time.

November 24, 2009

The wind was howling this morning. I’ve had enough hunting in the wind and it was expected to blow 40 mph. So I stayed in bed until 9! That felt good! It was a lazy day, cleaned the trailer, read a book, took pictures and watched a couple of movies. Heck, I didn’t get one complaint from the dogs either.
CoyoteHunting2009-2010109.jpg

Now this is the breakfast of champions. Especially on a windy day.

Sounds like fun, good hunting, too! A lot of the coyote control guys use two dogs at the same time for denning and stopping the sheep killing. I got 15$ for the best IA coyotes this year, bummer the price is so low. Hope yours sell good.

November 25, 2009

The weather man got it right! This morning was absolutely beautiful. Light frost, 15 degrees, no wind and clear skies. It doesn’t get any better for coyote hunting. Our first stand produced nothing and was just north of the trailer. We drove ¾ mile back past the trailer and set up on a hill. I could see the trailer but didn’t figure it would spook any coyotes. I’ve killed coyotes from this hill before so was hoping for another. We were into the calling about 10 minutes when I glass a coyote at least ¾ of a mile to the west. It was interested so I obliged by hitting the TT call again. The coyote was coming hard so I just lay back and watched the show. Dash has been on a few kills by now and I wanted to see what he would do. Once Bubba saw the coyote he makes a beeline straight to it, Dash just stood there and watched. Like the seasoned dog he is, Bubba got to within 30 yards then turned around and came back. He’ll do that if they hold their ground, if they turn to run he’s off like a rocket. The coyote wasn’t budging and the morning sunlight had it lit up like a beacon, I could see every glistening hair as the scope settled on her shoulder. I’m using a Leupold long range 6-20x with a side paralex adjustment. I really like it as I can focus with the side adjustment instead of reaching up to the front bell like so many other scopes. Once everything was focused I was wishing for a good telephoto camera to take a picture of the coyote and Bubba all in the same frame. She was down at the crack of the shot and both Bubba and Dash were on her instantly.
IMG_0177.jpg

Dash is getting into attacking dead coyotes. He’s a mean little bugger when they don’t bite back. The little white speck right over his back is the trailer.

The next stand had another coyote come in at the 10 minute mark. I let both dogs work this one, but the coyote was a little timid and was ready to bolt. Dash was doing well for a puppy, he’d run out to her and I would tone him back. He’s getting it figured out. Dash was first to arrive after the shot. By the time I got there he hard her worked over pretty good! I don't mind the dogs chewing on the coyotes. It's like a reward to them and they really don't do much damage. When we first started hunting, Dash was timid and a little shy of the gun. I was worried he might be gun shy. No worries now, he’s figured out the gun does wonderful things to coyotes. Now I’m worried he might get a little too aggressive. Funny how quickly things turn around.

CoyoteHunting2009-2010014.jpg

I like his coloring. He’s ten times easier to see than Bubba.

Two stands later and we’re at a spot I tripled last year. This is truly a Redfrog spot. I only have to walk 20 yards from the pickup. As I slowly top the rise, I see one coyote heading over the hill. Darn! Before I get the calls out another coyote is up and going over the same hill. Double Darn!! I’m laying there wondering what to do and figured what the heck, it was a good spot so maybe there’s more coyotes out there. I howl once then get on TT call. Nothing is happening and now I’m not feeling so good about the spot. I was just about to stand up when two coyotes came over the hill in the EXACT same spot the three first appeared last year! My faith was renewed. They were coming strong but then the furthest out hung up (usually a female). The charging coyote was obviously a large male and didn’t like having two strange dogs in his territory. Again, both dogs got to work the coyote as he wasn’t going to be intimidated. After a couple of minutes of the coyote and dogs going back and forth, I dropped the hammer. That was it for the day. We saw 12 coyotes but these 4 were the only ones to come in.

IMG_0179.jpg

Notice the eagle feather? I'm calling these "The Eagle Has Landed", coyotes.
smile.gif
The extra coyote is from the previous stand.

November 26, 2009 Thanksgiving Day

The first stand had coyotes howling at us to the south, we moved down there and had two separate coyotes come in downwind. Bubba and Dash saw the first one before I did as there wasn’t much light. It caught my scent and was gone. The other was at 380 yards. He bugged out too. The wind came up after that and it blew 20+ all day. We quit calling at 11:30 and drove back to the trailer to fix the squeak in my door. After 4 years of a squeaky door, I’d finally had enough. Nothing like a windy day to fix squeaks!

CoyoteHunting2009-2010132.jpg

The American flag is a very good coyote barometer. When it looks like this, coyote hunting isn’t so good.

CoyoteHunting2009-2010117.jpg

When is looks like this, coyote hunting is much better! :)

I explored some old junk piles, found a very old cow skull and a couple of old milk bottles and took a few pictures. A pretty darn good Thanksgiving Day after all!

CoyoteHunting2009-2010125.jpg

I was hoping this was an old buffalo skull but no such luck.

CoyoteHunting2009-2010111.jpg

In the absence of trees, deer will rub on fence posts. This baby has known a few deer!

IMG_0172.jpg

Back on the technology theme. Remember these monsters? Now we have a tiny dish. Heck, some of you may even remember being the official "antenna turner". That was my job as a kid.

Mike, Enjoying the continuation of your hunt. Sure is great to have a dog that already knows whats going on. Make things much easier if that can be. Glad Dash in learning the ropes from Bubba. I do think he will be a great dog. Love to see and hear of his progress. Looks alot like his daddy. Keep it coming. D

Great stuff as usual Mike.

I'm glad to see you putting all that stuff i taught you to good use.
grin.gif

Sounds like you got another coyote killing dog in your pack.

This is really great stuff. Sounds like you had one heck of a hunting trip.I really enjoyed your stories. There is nothing better than reading a story and seeing myself right there. By the way you have a couple of really nice looking dogs. Smart ones too by the sounds of it. I do have one question though. What are some of the advantages of hunting with a dog? Are there any disadvantages?

Back