Brand New Burris Longrange Scope

Range, 100-1000yds.

How fast were you pushing those 155's? Mine are clocking 2950-2975fps.

I've shot, 155 Lapua Scenars, 168 SMK, 168 VLD's, and 175 SKM's out of my current .308 out to 1k.

IMO, my 155's own all the above when it comes to LR shooting out to 1k where I'm limited at. They turn a boat anchor .308 into a .260 in ballistics. I know a handful of people on the net who run the 155's Scenars for a hunting bullet and they're VERY successful. I've personally shot 1 doe with mine and it ran like it never got hit. Never has tired them again for deer.

I've ran a handful of 175smk's on deer and it did very well on them, but these were less then 100yds shots.

I shot factory 150s and was around 2600fps on the 168s. maybe my twist was not quite right? I got regular Key holes and the bullets did not crack when they came over your head in the scoring pit. My Brother's 40X had the same results though. The 175s and 185s worked very good for long range.

I am now shooting a couple DPMS ARs in 308 and I am only hunting with them. I am getting excellent groups with both rifles at 300 yd zero using 110s and 125s. I like the 125s best as an all around hunting cartridge. If you go to my Son's page listed below, you can see that either round is excellent for coyotes, deer, and hog. I carry a Remington Bolt 308 on my Horse loaded with the same round. If I get a body hit I always seem to recover the animal. In fact I don't remember any that I have hit that ran off. One of his Hogs was a monster. It went down with one shot using a 110.

The only complaint is that the 125s are expensive. I think they are Nosler Ballistic tips. I ordered a 1000 rds of soft points at a considerable savings from Black hills but so far I have not received them.

Back on Subject I think I 5would like this Burris scope but they are not too eager to give us a lot of info.

I night hunt in winter during contests, so being able to see the Hold over dot at night is a must especially with a 100 yd zero.

Another question would be rather the Electronics in the scope could be repaired after the Warranty expired?

Still another question is how much water could this scope stand. I get caught often in the pouring rain miles away from the truck with the rifles stuck out in the rack of the rhino coming home.

I do own a couple Burris scopes but other than one Nikon, all the rest are Leupold. All of them have been through much more abuse than a normal person would dish out. When all is normal I hunt three times a week or more.

I'm just curious if you were able to purchase the Eliminator scope and what your thoughts are on it.

I apologize for being late to the game but we're here now and we're not going anywhere. We were simply too short handed to have a constant internet presence despite knowing the importance of that.

I'll try to answer the questions that have come up in this thread.

As was pointed out, the warranty is 3 years on the electronics and lifetime on the optics and mechanics.

Windage compensation? I don't believe we've ever made that claim. I suppose your windage compensation would be very much like that of every other scope with a plex reticle.

We understand that this is not an optic for absolutely everyone and is not the end all be all for optics. We're not trying to pretend that it is nor are we trying to convince you that you need it if you are doing just fine with a hand held and your own data. We've simply eliminated one variable so you can concentrate on everything else if you're interested.

As for customer service, we've torn it down and rebuilt it from the ground up. We replaced the manager about 2 years ago and hired all new support techs. I'm sure that we are all aware that it was needed in a big way. I can honestly say that we have an outstanding group of guys here. I know some of you were burned in the past and I'm sorry to hear stories like that. Most of the guys who have had positive experiences most likely have dealt with us in the last 2 years. If I'm wrong then PM me and I'll make sure it's dealt with.

Like I said, we're here now and we're not going anywhere. Feel free to ask questions or send me a message.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Burris OpticsI'm just curious if you were able to purchase the Eliminator scope and what your thoughts are on it.

I apologize for being late to the game but we're here now and we're not going anywhere. We were simply too short handed to have a constant internet presence despite knowing the importance of that.

I'll try to answer the questions that have come up in this thread.

As was pointed out, the warranty is 3 years on the electronics and lifetime on the optics and mechanics.

Windage compensation? I don't believe we've ever made that claim. I suppose your windage compensation would be very much like that of every other scope with a plex reticle.

We understand that this is not an optic for absolutely everyone and is not the end all be all for optics. We're not trying to pretend that it is nor are we trying to convince you that you need it if you are doing just fine with a hand held and your own data. We've simply eliminated one variable so you can concentrate on everything else if you're interested.

As for customer service, we've torn it down and rebuilt it from the ground up. We replaced the manager about 2 years ago and hired all new support techs. I'm sure that we are all aware that it was needed in a big way. I can honestly say that we have an outstanding group of guys here. I know some of you were burned in the past and I'm sorry to hear stories like that. Most of the guys who have had positive experiences most likely have dealt with us in the last 2 years. If I'm wrong then PM me and I'll make sure it's dealt with.

Like I said, we're here now and we're not going anywhere. Feel free to ask questions or send me a message.

I actually bought another Leopold but I am still interested. You still have not answered several very key questions.

1. At night what do you see for a dot? Most shots at night are a 100 yards or less but this is an important question.

2.How much water can this scope take? Predator hunting is best in bad weather or at least during a change. Getting caught in the rain is a common thing.

3. What kind of batteries and how long do they last?

4. This thread is old so I have not looked at the specs in a while so another question pops up as to will this scope hold over work at all scope zoom settings.

My Daughter has recovered from her Leukemia thanks to a transplant from her brother, so I have been spending a lot more time hunting than reading forums lately.

I think you will find that most guys on this list are the real thing and actually use their rifles almost year round.

Telling us that you can't see jack at night except the cross hairs is not a deal breaker. I still do not like lighted reticles at night myself.

Last edited:
I apologize for missing those questions. Here are some answers that I hope will help.

1. You will see only the 1/3 moa dot on the bottom leg of the reticle at night. At 100 yards the dot will be at the center of the reticle. I'm assuming you mean complete darkness.

2. As a fellow coyote hunter (although less now than I would have hoped) I know what you mean about the weather. For us it's usually snow rather than rain but moisture is still the issue. The scope is waterproof although I doubt it's submersible as almost all scopes are not. Here's a link to a blog written by Dave Petzal the field editor of Field & Stream. His quote is "Since the Eliminator uses two batteries, you may wonder what happens in the rain? Will it short out? Nope. I left the Eliminator outdoors for 48 straight hours in wet weather that ranged from drizzle to toad-strangling downpour, and it did fine."

Keep in mind that Mr. Petzal wanted nothing more than to absolutely kill this scope in it's tracks prior to using it. After testing it he's now a true believer.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2010/09/petzal-reviews-burris-eliminator-laser-scope

3. The battery is a CR2 battery that you can purchase at any department or drug store. It will last at least 1500 cycles. My personal sample has surpassed that at this point and is still working.

4. You must be at 12x for the BDC to work correctly. That holds true for all 2nd focal plane scopes.

As to what you can see at night, this is still just a scope not unlike 95% of the other scopes out there. It's not intended as a night scope nor are any of our other scopes. In all honesty, at night you probably won't even see the reticle with the exception of the dot. If you are talking about low light then that's a different story.

I'm very glad to hear that your daughter is doing better. That's truly great news. If there's anything that we can do for you, or her, please let me know.

Quote:As to what you can see at night, this is still just a scope not unlike 95% of the other scopes out there. It's not intended as a night scope nor are any of our other scopes. In all honesty, at night you probably won't even see the reticle with the exception of the dot. If you are talking about low light then that's a different story.

I think most if not all of us hunt at night by using a spotlight. Although we are seeing Night Vision scopes become more affordable now, they are still mainly used for Hogs. My Spotlight like most Night Hunters has a Rheostat that gives full power just before the shot. We actually look at the cross hairs to aim and must have enough light to identify the target. Coyotes are known to hang out with the cattle. I like the concept and it seems like the best long range option available at this time, but I need to see one in my hands before I risk 850.00. Unlike many on this list I actually like the Shepherd scopes but like most on the list I had real trouble keeping them zeroed. I did really well Long Range shooting with the Shepherd but the same scope did not fair well in Hunting situations.

One last question before I leave this Subject.

This scope contains no rings and mounts to a rail. Has anybody mounted one of these to an AR 10 to see if it is high enough to mount your eye?

You have 2 options with the AR platforms. You can either directly mount to the receiver or use a pair of 1/2" risers. I prefer the risers but it's a personal preference.

While I don't have the Burris Eliminator scope, I would like to bring up a couple of points that have been mentioned in this thread.

I would like to get the Eliminator at some point, but currently I use a Bushnell Yardage Pro Range-finding scope that uses Mil-dot as the reticle and has turrets that dial in the distance based on your ballistics. This is a proven system to 550 yards on my rifle. Since I usually hunt large farm fields once crop is harvested, the instant ranging feature is very nice since there are usually a lack of landmarks to range by. So, my landmark is the animal I am about to shoot. And if the battery is dead, and I have time, I have Mil-dot.

One of the points that were made by a couple of people, they are saying use a rangefinder and dial in the turrets as separate steps and devices. Then someone else said what happens if the electronics die. Sure it could happen, but the scope reticle is still there and your Leica can fail also. Then what, would you stop your hunt? If you truly know your equipment, then no. Everyone has different needs and experiences. If you choose to carry extra gear, fine. but some do not have the same needs or hunting style.

I will say in my own experience that the scopes are worth the money and the range-finding ability is much better than the hand helds. You can doubt me if you wish, but I can use my Bushnell and range a deer out to 900+ yards and have ranged coyotes out to 730 yards because of the stable platform that the scope sets on. With the gun and my scope stable on the bipods, I will always get instant ranging that is accurate to within 3 yards. I did test this as well by using GPS to my points of range. Holding a Hand held unit still is not easy and I know this because I have had many of them and they all were hard to range with. I have had Bushnell, Lieca, and currenty have a Leupold RX3 that is a closet fixture now.

The weight of the scope is due to a heavy steel that it housed in. On the other hand, having a rangefinder in the scope makes for certain that you don't leave it in the woods, forget it at home, or some other fate. It will always be at hand and not some other item to carry in your pouch. I do carry an extra CR2 rechargeable battery with me, but that is really all I need. My calls weigh more than my gun, scope and rangefinder.

On another note, The laser range finding function is useless if you are using a PS22 or some other scope mounted Night vision device.

Unless you have used one, it isn't wise to discount the usefulness of it. AS these scopes evolve, they will get better and handle inclines and wind. I would also expect temperature to be added at some point. I would bet on it in fact. The rest can still use their head to calculate the trajectory if you want.

I own a Burris Elminator scope and what cjdavis618 say is true. I have a 6-300wsm shooting 85 gr nosler partion bullets I set the drop in the scope a per directions, went to our 700 yard range and the laser was dead on. Also the illuminated dot was very easy to see and shoot, every shot after ranging at 100 yds thru 700 yds was in a 5" bull. No hold over no fumbling with my lieca 1200 range finder or turrets and the range was instant. I could range and shoot in 5 seconds. I have a leupold VX-L 6.5x20x56 with custom turrets from the leupold custom shop. The Burris is much faster and easier. There was no wind.

Glad to hear it JDE650. Glad to know that yours works well also.

One other feature that I have and use alot on my scope is a scan feature. If I hold the button down on my bushnell while ranging, it will go into scan mode and constantly update the target when coming in .... and going away. I have gotten some nice kills by knowing how far the animal was as it was leaving. That is impossible in your are using the 2 device/turret method.

Many times I have had coyotes run out and stop and give you that one second of broadside, then trot again. With this scope, it is ranged and the bullet is in the air before they have finished bouncing to a stop.
smile.gif

Chris

I'll got to bat for Burris, I've had only one experience when I had to send a scope back but they did well by me. I have one FFII, three Signature, and one Signature Select scope. No complaints about any of them.

You know what i don't like about the system. It takes no discipline to use it. You don't have to learn angular mathematics to make the long shot anymore. It's all done for you with the press of a button.

For me the interest in shooting was in learning all this stuff. It was the next step "beyond" Kentucky elev. and wind. Now everybody's an instant marksman using this technology. These are definitely for the guy that wants it all easy, and doesn't have to "earn it" to learn it.

But that's OK, i went to a shoot a couple years ago where none of the lasers were working on one of the targets. I think there was only 1 guy there that knew how to reverse mil the target with a non-mrad multi-stadia reticle to get tgt. size and then mil the unknown range tgt., so there is still a place for us dinosaurs...thank God!

So...

We should all go back to blunderbuss and muskets to be the ultimate purists?
confused.gif

I'm sure what you said was also said by older generations of people about the technology we take for granted today. Never the less, we all search for accurate, mostly flat shooting guns. Does having a flat shooting rifle take the discipline out of shooting a canon ball? Sure, but do you really want to shoot at coyotes with a canon ball?

There is nothing wrong with learning all of that anyway and using these tools in addition. That is why my scope was chosen with mil-dot. To each their own. Dealing with IPv4 network Subnets all day, I am sick of math when I get home. If my battery dies, then sure. I use the Mil-dot, but only if I have time to. My ranges are not in the 500+ range either, so it isn't that difficult.

Never the less, ranging live targets of an unknown size is difficult at long distance while in a hurry. That 3-6 inches in body size can make big difference in your adjustments at distance. Mistaking a kit fox for a coyote, or a coyote for a wolf would really screw up a long shot.

Last edited:
I really have no use at all for a scope like this hunting Coyotes. Lets face it most Coyote shots are not long shots. But having said that Coyotes don't stand there long and I use my Rifle for a little bit of everything. At night a 100 yd zero is great. My thing is while Coyote hunting I often see Hogs across the lake and as everyone knows, after you shoot a Hog they stay gone for a least a while. I like the idea of a good quick accurate shot. I am just not convinced enough to spend that much money on an unproven scope, especially when Nikon and Bushnell have had similar scopes out for a while and they have just not gained favor. Another thing holding me back is adding all this electronics to a Rifle that rides a 4 Wheeler or Horse for hours a day. By the way all the Math is not for me at any time and I am fully capable. I too have to content with Computer Programming as part of my job and when I am off, the last thing I want is to make calculations.

Last edited:
Back