Boots fall apart?

The first most important thing is the fit. Your feet are not the same as others feet. Go to a hiking store and try them on with really good socks and expensive shoe liners. Happy feet
grin.gif

Speaking of boots. I had a pair of wolverine boots over 10 years old. I wore them guiding in Idaho and logging during the off season. Worked them hard. I was hunting in pa and I noticed the sole was coming apart. Everywhere I walked Bits and pieces of rubber. I called wolverine and they sent me a paid shipping label and told me to send the boots back, which I did. About a week later they called me and told me to pick out a boot from their catalog and they would send them to me free. Couldn't believe it! The bad part, human nature being what it is, I picked out their most expensive boot and they weigh a ton. I will admit the are super warm and comfortable. Will always buy wolverines.

I don't care for them but Muck/Bog boots have really good reviews. Most of my family uses one of those two brands. I have never had anything other than redwings because I have never had problems with them.

One issue I do see is people using a single boot for every job. I have steel toe/work boots I use when i wont be dealing with water or cold. I have throw away rubber boots for when I am working in water/muck. Then I have my lightly insulated Irish Setters for hunting/fishing in the fall/winter/spring... if at any point it is too cold for those I use a buddy heater. My new balance all leather shoes cover me for nice weather spring/summer woods walking. If I went hiking I would have boots for that as well.

Is everyone still seeing the issues with the soles coming off of new boots nowadays? I had a theory that the industry leader in the boot adhesive market had changed the chemicals and it took a couple of years to realize the failure. I too had a pair in which the soles separated 2 or 3 years ago but haven't noticed it lately.

The soles disintegrating is a whole different issue.

Quote:Is everyone still seeing the issues with the soles coming off of new boots nowadays? ...Most of the changes over the years has been due to two factors...Manufacturers seldom back up the adhesive with stitching anymore...(my grandfather started out as a boot maker and ran a repair shop until he was 86) and many have switched to newer, lower cost adhesives...

For years, the standard was Barge Cement, backed up with high quality Bees Wax treated thread..When the initially stronger nylon thread was introduced following WW2, it was less expensive to acquire in bulk, the economy and cost cutting efforts of the '70s and '80s pretty much eliminated the stitching, altogether except in the higher quality and more expensive boots...Our 'duty boots' were Rockys back in the '70s and they held up pretty well, the replacements in the '80s were a totally different matter...

Originally Posted By: 223kevIs everyone still seeing the issues with the soles coming off of new boots nowadays? ....
The soles disintegrating is a whole different issue.

I've been having both problems for a few years now.

Boots used to last me three or four years. Now, I can't get one year out of a new pair. Think I am on my sixth pair of new boots in four years now.

I'll tell you one brand I just won't ever buy again and that is Vasque. Which, is a shame, as that was my go to brand for about 20 years. Never going to buy another pair of them as long as I live though.

It sucks...

- DAA

If a person has some extra pennies, (read $$$$) you need to look into the, "Russell Moccasin Boot". I've had mine for almost 6 years and they are still like new and fit like a soft glove. They are handmade in the USA. Needless to say, they are expensive!! I lucked out and only had to wait 4 months for my pair. The most concerning part was making sure I got all the measurements the need right. Also, no need to worry if you've got different size feet each boot is made custom for each foot.

You guys are just hard on boots. My Chinese Danners are still going after 10 years with little or no wear on the soles.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: tripod3You guys are just hard on boots. My Chinese Danners are still going after 10 years with little or no wear on the soles.
thumbup1.gif

not going to tell the rest of story are you?
lol.gif
lol.gif

Part of the problem is the EPA. according to my buddy who is in the shoe repair business, They made them change the adhesives a few year ago and they just aren't as good. combine that with making them cheaper, well you get what you get. That said when I was guiding if I got 2 months out of a pair of boots, I don't care who made them I felt like I had a win. Lava rock, and lots of miles will chew up boot in a hurry. Now days with feet that give me trouble I go for comfort more than durability. I can usually get one year out of most of my boots and don't really complain at that. Country is still rough, I just don't cover the miles I used to.

drscott

I don't really care very much for my current pair of Lowas. So they'll probably last me a long time
laugh.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: tripod3You guys are just hard on boots. My Chinese Danners are still going after 10 years with little or no wear on the soles.
thumbup1.gif

not going to tell the rest of story are you?
lol.gif
lol.gif

OK so my boots don't touch the ground much.

I've had 2 pairs of Rockys soles completely disentergrate. Wore them one year and put them in the garage. Didn't wear them until next hunting season, well didn't actually wear them then, threw them away. The soles were like they sat in acid or some chemical to totally break them down. Don't wear Rockys anymore.

Bog/muck boots seem hard to beat for the price but I don't like the fit. Personally love Red Wings and have had nothing but good luck with them. Wolverines seem decent and made in the US... also not too expensive so if you have to replace its not so bad.

For repairs and damage prevention get Shoe Goo. Its cheap and once it is fully dried the stuff is really tough. The tread on my turf shoes (baseball) started to come off and I used it to put it back in place. Over a month of use after and its still holding up great. It is also useful as a water sealer.

Basically just shoe goo anything that looks like it is going bad and it should hold up for a lot longer than it would without it.

Had a pair of timberland that the soles disintegrated. Sent them back and they told me to pick any book from their catalog for free. These boots were 15 years old

I have a pair of Rocky extreme pacs that I wore a 1/2 dozen times ice fishing,which is three winters, to busy hunting to fish. Last winter pulled them out of storage tub and both boots had cracked,more like ripped, around the front. Really like my White Mt. elk hunting pacs,going on 5 years of snowshoeing and hiking all winter.

Back