Bolt vs Single?

Another advantage that probably has already been mentioned about single shots is that the action takes up room so a single can have a longer barrel (velocity)that the bolt action.
Case in point my ruger m77 is longer than my ruger #1 but the #1 has a 26" barrel

The unique aspects of break action single shots are what keep me coming back to them. I am not overly concerned with price I just like to tinker with them. They are definitely a different animal when it comes to gun setup and handloading. But I can have a full length barreled rifle that still is only 37 inches long. My bolt rifles don't allow for that.

I have not felt too handicapped by a single, but a required accessory is a butstock ammo holder, fishing into a pocket is a major pain. But it is all a balancing act I think I get more good first shot off because my handi is compact and quick to point than I loose to a slower cycle time.

Though one distinct disadvantage is that it is hard to work a single without looking down at the action where as with a bolt you don't have to look down to cycle the action.

Back