Bobcat recipes?

okeytrapper

Does any one have a good recipe for cooking a bobcat? I had read many books by old trappers and found that bobcat was actually eaten quite often. I have not yet found any good recipes thuough. Any help is appreciated.

I've tried some strange recipes...but never any involving bobcat, fox or coyote. But, if people will eat dogs, horses, ect. I s'pose someone out there has a recipe.

But I'm not eating it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I once thought the same about beaver. I have cooked beaver many ways and find it is hard to not be worth eating. I would not eat a coyote, but have noiced that the meat of cats has a much different color and of course, smell. The only thing that I have picked up on is that most buried them ontop of coals, this was apperently to make it tender.

Quote:
Give your local chinese restruant a call and they might be able to help you out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bad joke.

rofl thats funy right there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would venture a guess that any recipe for mountain lion would probably work as well for bobcat. However, I'm thinking that bc is much more sinewy and stringy than ml. They sure do stink when cleaning them, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Soak in heavy salted water over night(takes the gamy taste away) then boil for at least 2 hours (the more the tender)
This is what I do with my rabbit. Good luck

I've eaten a beaver or two in my day, but each time I ended up regretting it. (get your mind out of the gutter)

With that in mind I think I will pass on yote, bobcat, and mountain lion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

You can't really expect me to believe somebody would actually eat yote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rus

If someone has eaten a coyote please post it here. I am with Radd4 on this one. I sure hope I never get that hungry. I have known peeps to eat cat though, he was in South America. He said it was actually pretty good. Good luck with your bobcat soup. I wish I was more help to ya.

Quote:
Give your local chinese restruant a call and they might be able to help you out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bad joke.

Thats funny you say that. I was talking with a guy at work who was from Detroit andhesays when Istill lived there we used to eat at this chinese resturant at least once a week it was great. He woves to this side of the state and finds out that that place got shut down for serving cat.

Quote:
You can't really expect me to believe somebody would actually eat yote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That depends. Have you been to a PM hunt and offered any home made jerky? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

okey, I've never ate bobcat but I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I'm told it is quite good. Any recipe for mt lion will do. I have ate mt lion and liked it very much. It is one of the better game meats I have eaten.

I cooked the mt lion two ways. One way was frying in a pan just like a pork chop. I added a tablespoon of oil and seasoned. It tastes very good but it was a little tough because it is so lean. Better taste than venison or elk though and much better than bear in my opinion but tougher.

The other way I cooked it was in a slow cooker. I used a small bottle of BBQ sauce mixed with enough water to cover the meat completely, teaspoon of liquid smoke, and various seasonings. (salt, pepper, Johnny's, garlic) This turned out very tender and tasted excellent. I took some to work and everyone wanted to try it and all of them liked it. My wife is a slightly picky eater. She eats venison but could take it or leave it. She loved lion though and said "I wish you would get one every year!" I said, "So do I!" lol!

You can use other stuff in the slow cooker too like cream of mushroom soup or chicken or beef broth. Let us know how it turns out.

Good hunting

I really liked the link to the song about peking cat restaraunt, I belly laughed! Curt I certainly will give those a try and let you all know. I believe that it is worth a try, I love almond kitty at the local chinese buffet. keep 'em coming boys!

Butter up your pan real good so it doesnt stick. Sautee it with some fine cooking wine and a cup of chopped onions. I like to add a little dash of garlic to hide the game taste. And of course a dash of salt and pepper.

You'll want to cook the outside real well, then cover and let cook for approx. 20 mins to finish it off. After that just throw out the cat and eat the pan.

I have always heard Mountain Lion is very good a sweet meat.
I would think younger would be more tender. Bobcat should be at least similar.

Back