Bobcat In Heat Sound..... How and When

Rooster_Feather

How do you use the FoxPro (ala Byron South) Bobcat In Heat sound? I have a FoxPro38 and usually let the sounds play. But, I don't know if I can do it on this sound. Also what time of day and year do you use it???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Roooooooooster

Well, Roooooster, this may not be too much help, but last week, about 3:30 PM I had the FX3 making sick rabbit sounds alongside my JIB decoy about 100 yards down a sendero when a big bobcat strolled slowly out of the heavy brush and walked within 5' of the decoy. He was between me and the call, looking at the JIB. Landowner doesn't want us to shoot cats, so I was wishing I had the camera which was back in the truck when I remembered the bobcat in heat call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Unfortunately, by the time I looked up the number, plugged it into the remote and sent it, the cat had just disappeared into the brush about 6' away from the call, so I can't tell you if it worked or not.
Sure would like to have seen his reaction, being so close, and all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,
hm

I have the Johnny Stewart tape bobcat in heat. It's a good sound . I play it none stop 30 min. mostly 1 hour. Dont know any thing about fox pro. I play it none stop cause i think the cat would be out wondering crying ever so often but all the time. You know how criters get when the heat thing is on. All of Feb.is good.It says this on the tape calls toms & territoriol females. Im not a great cat hunter but best all around calls are rodents & hurt rabbit.

I am a little disappointed in the lack of responses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I guess not many hunters use this sound?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Roooooooooster

I have had some luck with the FoxPro Bobcat in heat so far called 5 and killed 1 but I was not the shooter in most.

I have yet to use it in the field but I am probablly going to give it a try this weekend, with mating season in full swing and all....
I have heard a bobcat doing this one time in the field about 2 years ago...it scared the S%^t out of me, and I was about 100 yrds away on the other side of a scrub oak patch!
Byrons call sounds very similar to what I heard.
I would suggest using it at 1/3 volume for 5 minutes, pause for 3, 1/2 volume for 5 minutes, pause for 3, 3/4 volume for 5 minutes, pause for 3, then let it play for about 10 minutes on 1/3 volume.
I'll let ya know if we have any luck with it.

Last edited:
Back