Bob Costas Anti Gun Rant at 1/2 Time NFL Game NBC Sports

gmc10551320121204070500.jpg

Anyone want a phone number for the NFL to complain?

Originally Posted By: NRA
Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for contacting NRA-ILA.

We are aware of the comments Bob Costas made on last Sunday evening on NBC Sunday Night Football. Chief Lobbyist Chris Cox has addressed the issue and called for an apology, you can see the article by clicking the following link: http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/03/bob-costas-interrupts-football-game-to-bash-american-gun-owners/

We are also encouraging everyone to call NBC directly to express your comments, the number for the switchboard is 212-664-4444.

Again, thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Amanda
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
www.nraila.org

Actually I think it would be more appropriate to swamp their e-mail server and shut it down, than to sit there on hold on the phone wasting your time, waiting on them.

He's obviously been getting some heat. And his excuse proves he's a dick. Just like cabana boy he doesn't admit he was wrong, only that he didn't have enough time to get his point across so the dunderheaded po folks could understand how brilliant he really is.

Costas: "Mistake" To Give Anti-Gun Commentary During Football Game

NBC's Bob Costas says his anti-gun remarks on Sunday night were a mistake because 90 seconds wasn't enough time for him to "flesh out" what he meant to say so he was completely understood.

Costas says he should have saved his comments for a different forum, rather than during halftime of Sunday's NFL game, but did so because "this is when the Belcher situation had played itself out."

BOB COSTAS: And for a long time, I’ve been wanting to get off my chest my disgust with this idea that every time something tragic happens, no matter what it may be, that in any way touches sports, there’s a chorus of people saying, 'You know, this really puts it in perspective.’ Which is a bunch of nonsense, because if that was true, we wouldn’t have to have that perspective readjusted every time the next tragedy occurs. It’s a bunch of nonsense.

And what I was trying to say was, that if you want some perspective on this, there are a number of issues related to this that we could begin to talk about and think about. The problem was that I didn’t have enough time to get to many of them. And that, I think, was my mistake, to be quite honest, Dan. A friend of mine in broadcasting pointed this out to me yesterday, and I agree with him. He said, ‘You violated your own rule.’ Because we have had this discussion before. I’ve always said, if you’re going to get into touchy topics, nuanced topics, make sure that you have enough time to flesh them out, that you have enough time to make yourself fully understood, or save them for forums where you do. In this particular situation, the timeliness of it was, if you’re going to comment on it at all, it had to be this Sunday. Because this is when the Belcher situation had played itself out.

So, I'm thinking I can't address all of the possible aspects of this. Domestic violence; the possibility of athletes, especially athletes who play a violent sport are more prone to domestic violence than people the same age elsewhere in society. The possible connection between football and this particular tragedy. We know that football is connected, and it's effects are connected to other situations. We don't know yet whether it's connected to Belcher, but that's certainly a question that could be asked. The easy availability of guns is another.

And so I saw what Jason Whitlock had written and a portion of what he wrote resonated with me and given the time that I had, I thought that was on aspect that I could put out there and maybe, maybe I gave the audience too much credit, but I said if you're looking for perspective, a bit of it could be found. And my implication there -- with every second counting, I had maybe 50 seconds total for this -- my implication was a bit of perspective, here's one aspect of it. I also put in parenthetically that in the days ahead, Belcher's actions, and their possible connection to football, will be analyzed. That was meant to imply there are many aspects of this, I'm addressing one by quoting what Jason Whitlock said in his column.

So I think that my mistake there was that I left it open to too much interpretation. (The Dan Patrick Show, December 4, 2012)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2..._a_mistake.html

I think his mistake there, was thinking that everyone might share or even care to listen to his liberal views concerning gun ownership. I think his mistake there was thinking that he is more than a sports broadcaster. I think his mistake there, was underestimating how much sh1t was going to hit the fan when gun owners across the country got wound up on his mistake there.

I have written to both places, have had no response. I wrote yesterday. His other mistake is going to bat for a Murderer and blaming the Gun. Just now on FOX News they are reporting that he had just arrived early in the morning from "another" Girlfriends house "where He had spent the night" when the argument started. They also stated that the KC Cheifs had been sending Him and the Woman He Murdered to Counciling. Fine upstanding Hero for todays youth huh?

This murderer murdered his girlfriend, the mother of this murderer's child, & then drove off to the stadium to, whatever they call the place they play, & then committed suicide in front of his playmates.
In these tumultuous times we should be applauding his decision to save us, the taxpayers, a tremendous amount of money, which could easily escalate to millions of dollars.
I salute him for caring enough to think of others money & having the wherewithal to conserve it for more important uses.
'Good riddance' is my final thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: azmastablastaHe's obviously been getting some heat. And his excuse proves he's a dick. Just like cabana boy he doesn't admit he was wrong, only that he didn't have enough time to get his point across so the dunderheaded po folks could understand how brilliant he really is.

Costas: "Mistake" To Give Anti-Gun Commentary During Football Game

NBC's Bob Costas says his anti-gun remarks on Sunday night were a mistake because 90 seconds wasn't enough time for him to "flesh out" what he meant to say so he was completely understood.

Maybe instead of covering your own a** Bob, you should spend the next 50 seconds of air time you get "fleshing out" an apology to the American public for your misguided diatribe.

Costas says he should have saved his comments for a different forum, rather than during halftime of Sunday's NFL game, but did so because "this is when the Belcher situation had played itself out."

"Ya think???"

BOB COSTAS: And for a long time, I’ve been wanting to get off my chest my disgust with this idea that every time something tragic happens, no matter what it may be, that in any way touches sports, there’s a chorus of people saying, 'You know, this really puts it in perspective.’ Which is a bunch of nonsense, because if that was true, we wouldn’t have to have that perspective readjusted every time the next tragedy occurs. It’s a bunch of nonsense.

And what I was trying to say was, that if you want some perspective on this, there are a number of issues related to this that we could begin to talk about and think about. The problem was that I didn’t have enough time to get to many of them. And that, I think, was my mistake, to be quite honest, Dan. A friend of mine in broadcasting pointed this out to me yesterday, and I agree with him. He said, ‘You violated your own rule.’ Because we have had this discussion before. I’ve always said, if you’re going to get into touchy topics, nuanced topics, make sure that you have enough time to flesh them out, that you have enough time to make yourself fully understood, or save them for forums where you do. In this particular situation, the timeliness of it was, if you’re going to comment on it at all, it had to be this Sunday. Because this is when the Belcher situation had played itself out.

Oh so now I get it, as long as you play by the rules you make, everything should be just fine for everyone, right Bob???

So, I'm thinking I can't address all of the possible aspects of this. Domestic violence; the possibility of athletes, especially athletes who play a violent sport are more prone to domestic violence than people the same age elsewhere in society. The possible connection between football and this particular tragedy. We know that football is connected, and it's effects are connected to other situations. We don't know yet whether it's connected to Belcher, but that's certainly a question that could be asked. The easy availability of guns is another.

Since when is it the job of a so called "Sportscaster" to analyze and address aspects of anything like this? Particularly in such an opinionated and offensive manner? Maybe a simple mention of it being a terrible tragedy would have been more appropriate.

And so I saw what Jason Whitlock had written and a portion of what he wrote resonated with me and given the time that I had, I thought that was on aspect that I could put out there and maybe, maybe I gave the audience too much credit, but I said if you're looking for perspective, a bit of it could be found. And my implication there -- with every second counting, I had maybe 50 seconds total for this -- my implication was a bit of perspective, here's one aspect of it. I also put in parenthetically that in the days ahead, Belcher's actions, and their possible connection to football, will be analyzed. That was meant to imply there are many aspects of this, I'm addressing one by quoting what Jason Whitlock said in his column.

Yeah, because we're just a bunch of idiots who don't get it, right Bob. Or could it be that you're just another liberal idiot? And speaking of credit maybe you should grow a pair (cause you [beeep] sure don't have any now!) and take credit for your own misguided actions. But doing that would imply that you have upstanding character, which is far from the case. The whole thing is sickening really...

So I think that my mistake there was that I left it open to too much interpretation. (The Dan Patrick Show, December 4, 2012)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2..._a_mistake.html

Yeah, he's a genius but didn't have the time to prove it to us. They should have held the game for a little while so he could expound his deeply held beliefs so we could go away enlightened. Our world is definitely poorer for him not being able to get everything off his chest. Either that or he's an idiot who saw an opportunity to get on his soap box and spew pablum on a lot of people who would much rather watch commercials.

Here is the moron who inspired Costas to make his spiel. This idiot says the NRA is the new KKK. Listen

Published on Dec 3, 2012 by jolided24

On CNN contributor Roland Martin's podcast posted to his website Monday, Jason Whitlock, the columnist who inspired Bob Costas' commentary on gun control during halftime of Sunday's Dallas Cowboys-Philadelphia Eagles game on NBC, revealed his peculiar take on the National Rifle Association (NRA).

Whitlock spoke out against the NFL's handling of the aftermath of Jovan Belcher's suicide and gun issues in his Sunday FoxSports.com column. During Martin's podcast, he likened the NRA to the Ku Klux Klan and tied the group to the dangerous street culture that unfortunately dominates "so many black youths."

"Sports gets so much attention, and people tune out the real world, that I try to take advantage of the opportunity to talk about the real world when sports lends itself to that and try to open people's eyes," Whitlock said.

"You know, I did not go as far as I'd like to go because my thoughts on the NRA and America's gun culture — I believe the NRA is the new KKK. And that the arming of so many black youths, uh, and loading up our community with drugs, and then just having an open shooting gallery, is the work of people who obviously don't have our best interests [at heart]."

Whitlock disagreed with the idea that gun ownership "enhances" liberty, explaining how — in his view — it damages society.

"I think it's obvious if you've traveled abroad, and traveled to countries where they have legitimate gun laws, that we don't have to have what we have in America, where people somehow think a gun enhances their liberty, and that people somehow think a gun makes them safer," he continued.

"It just doesn't. A gun turns some kids listening to music into a murder scene. And uh, you know, if you don't have a gun, you drive home. You know, kids listening to some loud music, you don't like it, you go home and complain to your wife. But when you have a gun, you open fire, potentially, and take the life of a child."

You know... If the children had been taught some respect at home, the music wouldn't have been so loud as to annoy other people to begin with. If the children had been taught some respect at home, they wouldn't have shot their mouths off and created the confrontation to begin with. If they'd been taught some respect at home, there wouldn't there wouldn't have been a problem, everyone would have drove home and all would have been happy in the world.

Seems to be a trend developing here, and the blacks and liberals are too damm stupid to realize it. Seems white folks are tired of being [beeep] with by blacks, and are standing up for themselves. Since both blacks and liberals are not noted for being bright, one has to wonder how many young blacks have to die before they figure out, white folks are tired of their sh1t, and since they tend to want to persist in 2 - 20 to 1 odds, and jumping folks from behind, or hitting them for no earthly reason, they should realize that violence will be met with violence. We are not standing there taking it anymore.

Spot on Rocky.I learned at a young age how some operate.I was shoved and assaulted at an athletic event when I was about a sophomore in high school.The person invited me behind the outhouse to settle things.I thought that would be fair enough.When we got around back out of sight there were 3 more there.Four against one.Lesson learned.

Given today I read the Senate wishes to deny certain military veterans their 2nd A. rights. Mostly due to a broad brush catch all categorization by VA (Incompetence) - which appears to cover a variety of things -You can thank Chuck Schumer (D-NY).(Breitbart.com 12-05-12) They are nibbling around the edges and probing like a group of sappers -looking for a way to knock it (2A) down.

Also, read where Mr. Costas says "he was glad no one else was armed" at the Aurora,Colorado movie house where a mass murder went on a shooting spree. I wonder what if he were in the theater, would he feel the same way? The guy is a complete puking liberal with a microphone, TV audience and access to millions of homes weekly. He ought to be fired and we can boycott NFL Sports sponsors until he is gone. I have emailed complaints, nicely worded to the NFL Commissioner, NBC, NBC Sports and local affiliate of my displeasure. You all should do the same.

Buckle up its going to be a long, long 4 years.

T2G

Addendum: Charles Barkley has some words, John McEnroe not so much. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/charles-...-safer-with-it/

Last edited:
Back