blue dot powder for reduced loads

metalmangeler

I have seen people post that a reduced load can be made with blue dot, however I have never seen any data, is there some out there that I have not found? I am guessing that this is fast enough burning that is won't react like a light charge of a slower powder. I would prefer that my user name not reflect on my rifles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but I would like a light load sometimes. Thanks for your input.

What cartridge are you loading for? I've used it in .357 Mags. Eventually I got too worried about loading a double charge and blowing my arm off, so I went with something that fills the case half full or more.
But it worked well and a pound loaded a LOT of rounds.

There's some Blue Dot pistol data on Alliant's web site, I didn't dig through much since I don't know what you're reloading for.

Alliant link

Last edited:
I have an IMR pamphlet that list about all of their powders with max charge weights and velocity. For the 270win SR4759 and IMR4227 are the fastest powders listed that give the lowest velocity. For 100g bullets SR4759 max load is 33g for 2755 fps, Imr4227 max load is 30g for 2710 fps. For 130g bullets SR4759 max load is 30.5g for 2390 fps, IMR4227 max load is 28.5g for 2305 fps. moving up to 150g bullets SR4759 max load is 30g for 2225 fps, Imr4227 max load is 27.5g for 2115 fps. I'm guesing you wanted blue dot loads but these are what I could find, I hope this helps.

I did some more digging and my Speer manual lists reduced loads for the 270 win, all use SR4759. For 100g bullets they list 16 to 20 grains for 1548 to 1915 fps. For 130g bullets 20 to 24 grains for 1651 to 1998 fps. For 150g bullets 22 to 26 grain for 1655 to 1957 fps. These look a bit milder than the IMR/Dupont manual. Again, I hope this helps.

Thanks Mike, I am hopeing for blue dot, info but if I don't get any I will likely look at this. I am hopeing that I don't need to buy powder as all my trips to the store for powder or bullets or primers are a waste of time lately.

Quote:
Thanks Mike, I am hopeing for blue dot, info but if I don't get any I will likely look at this. I am hopeing that I don't need to buy powder as all my trips to the store for powder or bullets or primers are a waste of time lately.

try to find a lyman book, they list reduced loads for almost every caliber, have used many with great success, and they usually show alot of pistol powders, lee.

go to accurate reloading.com
find out about seafire's blue dot loads....

I have used them for 222 and 8mm Mauser with success...and accuracy...

he will e mail you the loads....

R

Seafire, or maybe Seafire2 now that hangs out over on the Accurate Reloading forums has a wealth of data and experience in using Blue Dot for reduced rifle loads. He has always been helpful when I contacted him about info. I have used Blue Dot in .223 mostly and some .308 for reduced/economy loads. The loads are usually extremely accurate. You can't safely get full velocity loads but you can get probably 80% or more of full velocity loads for about 1/2 the typical powder charge. My load of BD for the .223 yields more than 500 loads per pound of powder and gives a velocity of 2600 fps with excellent plus accuracy. However you need to be especially careful and PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL when loading to avoid overcharges etc. Alliant does not approve BD for this application and there are a lot of naysayers. Also there are a lot of experienced satisfied users too. If you do a search on AR or just google you should see Seafire's handle pop up. TnTnTn

You can also find seafire over at 24hourcampfire.com. He has a good set of instructions on working up a load using Blue Dot. There are also a number of people over there that will start howling about squib loads every time someone posts about BD loads. Follow the instructions CAREFULLY. And this does include working up loads one tenth of a grain at a time after a certain point.

Does this guy have reduced loads for a 300 WIn? I have somebullseye,green dot and red dot would that work to? I mean if blue dot works then these should too, and be all economical and kick less to.

Metalmangeler.
What you are refering to is called a squib load. you will not find them in the modern manuals.
I havent seen them in over 35 years, I used to shot with a guy that used them in a 22 250. I do not remeber how much powder he used but it was less that ten grains I think,,, the main trick to shooting them was that you had to point the muzzle up and shake the gun before you shot it so the powder was against the primer and slowly lower it for the shot. it wasnt much louder than a 22LR when he shot. I to have tryed to find info on these loads the last few years and it seems the knowledge is gone. if you do find it, use it with extreme caution.

Thanks Cylus, I still need to get to Seafire, but your post got me to thinking that I needed to look at older books than I normally check, so in the Ideal hand book #38 published in '51 there is a load with 8gr. of Unique and a cast bullet, MV of 1240. Naturaly I have no Unique on hand.

Hodgdon now owns IMR, and I know I saw some reduced load data on their website before with SR4759 and I BELIEVE SR4756, but I couldn't find them in a quick check of a few popular calibers just now. They are however, listing SR4759 as a pistol powder on IMR's website, and mention it's use as a reduced load powder for rifles. I do know I've seen these powders in older manuals for reduced loads, although pressure testing may be more accurate now than it was then - I don't know.

Also, Hodgdon shows several calibers with reduced loads with powders such as Titegroup, Trail Boss, Clays, Universal, etc. I haven't tried any of these myself, but I mean to in the future, and was just pointing this out to ya'll. PLEASE CHECK OUT THE PUBLISHED DATA, ADHERE TO IT, and enjoy.

Last edited:
Don't laugh to at me to much fella's but there is a thread you might want to look at on one of the the very first pages of this topic,page 1113, down towards the bottom. It's raining, the wife and kids are headed to grandma's and there wasn't much else to do.

Back