Black Rain

Jeff.
thumbup1.gif

Clickbait! Not sure what to think of that! Lol...

Jeff, I had the same juju going on yesterday. I shot the wire on a fence on one coyote that got away and another one just defies reason, coyote at like 25 or 30 yards coming in slow and I don't know what happened... I shot and it took off like a fired a blank at it, I still don't know how that happened. Started out as a [beeep] day then I got a double on one stand, both females then a few stands later got a big male.

"clickbait" for me, means that I see the OP and have to look for a great story and pictures. Which you always deliver.

Iowa Yotes seem to be easier to snare or trap than call. I am working up a 5 gal. bucket of Gopher chunks right now !

The last fence wire we cut was my daughter shooting jackrabbits 3-4 years ago. It has been a long time since I have cut one. After fixing a couple of them I am pretty paranoid about it.

I have had a few misses lately I am not happy about. I've been spending this week double checking all my rifle zeros and practicing some field shooting off sticks. But honestly it isn't an equipment or skill issue with me. Fact is, I just got mentally sloppy and pooched them. It happens.

You know, last night I decided I have to re-think that second stand of mine. It is a good stand, no doubt. I have a high percentage of called coyotes on it. But that isn't the first time a coyote has blown through the back door on me there. First time it was even closer, the coyote passed about 5-6 yards from me. That one made a dumb mistake and I killed it anyways, so I just wrote it off mentally I guess. But twice isn't just a coincidence.

Simple solution for a lot of guys would be to just carry a shotgun. But the front side of the stand is so wide open you have to have a rifle capable of 200+ yards. So that means 2 weapons, and I ain't all about carrying 2 guns. I'm old, and carrying a lot of crap from stand to stand just isn't my thing.

Apparently the corner I have been sitting in there is much more of a funnel than what I was thinking it is. I'm am going to have to move out of that corner 50-75 yards down the other cross fence and make me some kind of little permanent shooting position with some cover, then move my caller further out from both me and the corner. I think that will slow things down a bit and give a much better angle for dealing with one squirting through the corner.

I hear ya on carrying 2 firearms. It's hard to setup any stand without a little slop. Specially hunting private land you will return to hunt later, some are going to get your wind that you never even see. It don't bother me as bad if a coyote burns in and out without taking a shot, but shooting and missing them rubs me wrong.

Hey Brad, I know what you meant. It's all good
smile.gif

I've been thinking lately about looking for a single shot shotgun that breaks down easily, fits in a case and you could keep in your vehicle. If the stand / property looks like you might need a rifle and a shotty, grab the case and go, put it together when you get on stand. My son has a .410 Rossi like that, I suppose they make 12's as well...?
Maybe it's a dumb idea and probably not even an option for me, pretty sure Ohio only allows you to carry one firearm while hunting unless you have a CCW.

Single shot shotguns sound like a viable option. Problem is that they are light and have large recoil. Most also come with a fixed choke.

I want a shotgun with good sights and an aftermarket choke.

Tough choice for sure, depends on terrain and how you want to hunt.

My answer is usually a 14.5"suppressed AR with a 1-8 Vortex Strike Eagle turned all the way down to 1x. I can do pretty good with that setup. Turned down to 1x you can shoot it both eyes open just like a shotgun. I'm pretty quick with it, and no weapon transition needed if there are multiple coyotes or they cross out of range of the shotgun. But, sometimes a fella carries the wrong weapon to a stand, lol. The AR was in my truck this time because I thought the bolt gun would be a better fit on that stand. Sometimes you just don't know. Just as easy one could have hung up at 350.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I hear ya on carrying 2 firearms. It's hard to setup any stand without a little slop. Specially hunting private land you will return to hunt later, some are going to get your wind that you never even see. It don't bother me as bad if a coyote burns in and out without taking a shot, but shooting and missing them rubs me wrong.

smile.gif

I'm just to the point I keep paring my gear down to the lightest reasonable load. There are lots of things that every now and then I wish I had on me, but I dang sure don't want to carry all of it all the time on the off chance something "might" come in handy. The older I get the more minimalist I become. Light is fast, and the more stands I can fit in a given window of opportunity.

Missed opportunities, lol. I could write a book Jeremy. It is all part of coyote hunting, one of the things I like about it. If it was all just cut and dried science, it would be boring. Just the fact that on any given stand you can get thrown something new, unexpected, is what keeps me doing it.

It doesn't bother me too much when I lose a coyote due to unexpected circumstances. Something that I should have planned for though, rankles me more. Like when I sit down and say "I'm OK unless one comes right through there," and then that is exactly where it comes though. I feel like I should have planned better in those situations. The ones that piss me off though are when I just flat screw up. Miss a chip shot, scope dialed for the wrong distance, just get mentally sloppy, something like that. And I know it is gonna happen. We are all human after all. The ones that are a "Gimme" that I manage to pooch, I will fume on them for days.

Dad was the same way. He hated to lose a coyote about as bad as anyone I have ever seen. He would generally find a way to come back and get it within the next few weeks. Some of the coyotes he was most proud of were ones that had given him the slip a time or two but he would figure out a way to come back and trick them.

I remember one old smart coyote he went after 4 times before he got it. It kept hanging up on a hill 500-600 yards away and wouldn't give him a shot. So one day he gets out his old Johnny Stewart cassette tape caller, and records a special tape with 10 minutes of silence on the front end. Sets it up same place but a fresh sound, and starts it rolling. Then he hurried 400 yards closer to where the coyote had been showing up, and set up. Coyote shows up same as it had been, but this time it was a 200 yard shot, and he smoked it. You would have thought he killed a trophy buck when he was telling me about that one.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXOriginally Posted By: Infidel 762I hear ya on carrying 2 firearms. It's hard to setup any stand without a little slop. Specially hunting private land you will return to hunt later, some are going to get your wind that you never even see. It don't bother me as bad if a coyote burns in and out without taking a shot, but shooting and missing them rubs me wrong.

smile.gif

I'm just to the point I keep paring my gear down to the lightest reasonable load. There are lots of things that every now and then I wish I had on me, but I dang sure don't want to carry all of it all the time on the off chance something "might" come in handy. The older I get the more minimalist I become. Light is fast, and the more stands I can fit in a given window of opportunity.

Missed opportunities, lol. I could write a book Jeremy. It is all part of coyote hunting, one of the things I like about it. If it was all just cut and dried science, it would be boring. Just the fact that on any given stand you can get thrown something new, unexpected, is what keeps me doing it.

It doesn't bother me too much when I lose a coyote due to unexpected circumstances. Something that I should have planned for though, rankles me more. Like when I sit down and say "I'm OK unless one comes right through there," and then that is exactly where it comes though. I feel like I should have planned better in those situations. The ones that piss me off though are when I just flat screw up. Miss a chip shot, scope dialed for the wrong distance, just get mentally sloppy, something like that. And I know it is gonna happen. We are all human after all. The ones that are a "Gimme" that I manage to pooch, I will fume on them for days.

Dad was the same way. He hated to lose a coyote about as bad as anyone I have ever seen. He would generally find a way to come back and get it within the next few weeks. Some of the coyotes he was most proud of were ones that had given him the slip a time or two but he would figure out a way to come back and trick them.

I remember one old smart coyote he went after 4 times before he got it. It kept hanging up on a hill 500-600 yards away and wouldn't give him a shot. So one day he gets out his old Johnny Stewart cassette tape caller, and records a special tape with 10 minutes of silence on the front end. Sets it up same place but a fresh sound, and starts it rolling. Then he hurried 400 yards closer to where the coyote had been showing up, and set up. Coyote shows up same as it had been, but this time it was a 200 yard shot, and he smoked it. You would have thought he killed a trophy buck when he was telling me about that one.

I agree about the two guns on stand. I already carry too much gear, so I don't two gun very often. Mostly I practice shooting my rifle up close and learn my aim point. Great way to maximize your primary gun.

But I have to admit that the Mossberg Shockwave and Remington Tac-14 are tempting possibilities. if only they came threaded for chokes, they would have had me right away...

Originally Posted By: CoyoteHunter270Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Infidel do you put up any of the hides or just do predator control?

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762 I just dump them

Just out of curiosity do you think it would be worth it to sell the hides even if they aren't quality ones?

Not with the amount of time and labor that you need to put in to get top dollar even off of low quality hides. Then you have to take them to the fur auction and so on...

I have used fur buyers who are willing to take a percentage of the profits for doing the grunt work of prepping the pelts. Some of them I just throw him the body and he throws me some cash. it's a win/win scenario.

Back