Bipod vs shooting sticks?

this topic comes up now and again, and it is always interesting to me seeing what works for different folks, using different styles and what not. I think everyone has to basically come to a point of what works best for them. I have tried quite a few different ways and systems over the years, and these are my thoughts.

Bipods- Generally more stable and accurate, though a well thought out stick system can come pretty close in the accuracy department. The main drawback to me is quick adaptability, especially in the brush or on slopes. Open flat ground they work really well, and a bipod is what I have my 10 year old daughter use. I pick our sets (when she is with me) with a bipod setup in mind. Being attached to the rifle it can't fall, is easy for her to move, and gives her confidence. Since I am sitting right with her, she takes the easy shots and me the hard ones or fast movers, and it works out.

Where a bipod isn't so good is slopes, especially steep side hill ones. Changing from a downhill to side hill shot totally throws your height adjustment off, and there isn't a fast easy way to compensate. I do lots of solo calling where I have to cover a pretty wide swath, so I need quick adaptability. Thick weeds, sagebrush, things like that are tough on a bipod as well. You get hung up it it and can't move quick. With sticks you can always just drop them if needed.

Most of my thoughts so far have been directed at shooting from a sitting height. I know some of the very successful guys here do lots of calling from prone. I call a pretty fair amount of flat ground with tall grass, and that usually doesn't work to well for me, even though there are some places it would. There is the occasional set where I can do that, and sometimes one will hang up way out there. In those cases sometimes I do like the ability to go prone.

Sticks- Fast and easy on adjustments, if set up properly. Dad used home built cross sticks a lot, but those things always frustrated me. The legs would always try and jump out under recoil, or at the wrong times. Some commercial sticks would do the same thing. I really like the fast, easy, versatile concept of sticks, but there needed to be a better in the field application of it.

Finally I found a set of cheap sticks I liked, modified them a bit, and have a system I really, really like. For me it is the best thing I have come up with in 30 years of calling and hunting out in the field.

This is my current setup. Sometimes I leave the short 6-9" notched leg Harris on the front, sometimes I just roll with sticks. Just depends. If I am in open rolling country where I might get a long shot I will leave them on. If shots are going to be 250 and in, I just leave the bipod in the truck to save weight on walks.

So, El Cheapo Bass Pro Shops house brand Redhead shooting sticks. I think they are a knock-off from one of the Bog Pod models. They will adjust from sitting, all the way out to standing position, and do it quickly. So far, in 3 years of using them the friction adjustments on the legs have never slipped on me. Sprayed them with some tan spray paint to knock the glare off.

Now here is the trick that makes them work for me, and makes them really stable. That black strap that comes with them, throw it away. I added a piece of paracord and a snap off a dog leash or from the hardware store. Put some loops in it, where you can just snap it from one loop to the other real quick to limit the leg spread. When I sit down on a stand, I adjust this loop setting and leg height for the lowest height I think I might need. Then I will just swing the legs in until I have the height I want for the shot that I think I will have to make. Basically the cord is acting as an emergency stop in case I have a leg slip out (very rare) or if I need to made a fast adjustment to a lower position.

The bipod or the sling attachment keep the rifle from moving on the sticks doing shooting. I can grab the rifle and sticks together to move it real quick. Basically pick the whole thing up, swing it, set down. If I need a quick height adjustment, swing a leg in or out. The V rest on top swivels, so as to not bind the rifle, much smoother than a bipod or traditional sticks.

I also have a 511 bag I carry sometimes, and if you swing it over onto your thigh so you have a place to rest your shooting elbow, it allows for a very stable setup off these sticks. I shoot steel out 300-600 yards that way pretty often, just practicing.

http://www.511tactical.com/push-pack.html

IMG_3692 by [/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CTwoXr t=_blank]IMG_3695 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515@N04/, on Flickr

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wormydog1724Primos Rapid Pivot best of both worlds.

Couldn't agree more! I have been buying these for years even when Stoney Point made them and Primos bought them out. They are detachable and very adjustable for any terrain. Really well built.

"I'll take sticks over a bipod any day. To me sticks allow more freedom of movement if I have to adjust or pick up the rifle and swing for a shot. But I make my sticks."

Agree 100%. I usually set up on a hillside, and sticks work better than my waist-high bipod (much more versatile when you need to rotate for a dog coming in from the side). Made mine stout from 3/4"x 1-1/2 lath for about 50 cents. They double as a walking stick.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX The bipod or the sling attachment keep the rifle from moving on the sticks doing shooting. I can grab the rifle and sticks together to move it real quick. Basically pick the whole thing up, swing it, set down. If I need a quick height adjustment, swing a leg in or out. The V rest on top swivels, so as to not bind the rifle, much smoother than a bipod or traditional sticks.

I also have a 511 bag I carry sometimes, and if you swing it over onto your thigh so you have a place to rest your shooting elbow, it allows for a very stable setup off these sticks

I put my sling on backwards, leaving a small loop next to forend sling swivel. Slip that over the right leg and rifle/sticks can't slip when resting butt on chair or lap, leaving hands free to work remote or hand calls & if you need to dump sticks in a hurry, they fall free easily. (Have cut tops of sticks off so that the vee is only about 3" deep since this photo was taken.)

Never have problems with legs slipping as I put pointed steel spikes on bottom and hardly ever hunt in rocky soil.

35534421662_cebe6e92ec_c.jpg

35534423032_fa4f0d483a_c.jpg

I really like the idea of the fanny pack to rest elbow on, James. That's what I like about threads like this....never too old to learn something new.
smile.gif

Using this short kids camp chair, I used to be able to lean forward and rest elbows on my thigh for almost bench rest stability. Unfortunately, I think my arms shrunk as my elbows no longer reach my thigh!
frown.gif
frown.gif

For standing, grab the sling and sticks with left hand and pull all back into shoulder while leaning slightly into the sticks makes for much more solid position.You can grab sling and sticks & pick up sticks/rifle as a unit if you need to swing left or right.

35572531161_db14ba6c00_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: Wyodogger They double as a walking stick.

Not only that, lets see you do this with bipods!
lol.gif

35713998135_7d46164a08_b.jpg

Checking 300 yd. POI w/375 h&h.
Regards,
hm

Here is a gentleman's version I made and it's strong enough to put a whoopin on something.

[img:center][/img]

Hey, Mark, that cane makes a great set of sticks or Monopod either and that's a serious lookin' air rifle, too. What caliber is it?

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Hey, Mark, that cane makes a great set of sticks or Monopod either and that's a serious lookin' air rifle, too. What caliber is it?

Regards,
hm

That rifle may be a .20 or .22, had both and very accurate.

I can't use sticks,I just fumble around with them,and bipods are great if I want to shoot prone,what I prefer is a rigid mounted telescopic monopod.i mounted it to my picatinny rail and it's solid.i just set the elevation with the post and sit in my chair.

I'm another fan of the Primos or Stoney Point rapid pivot bipod. Really tight places where I should probably have a shotgun I'll use the Primos sticks instead.

I took my AR out last fall and shot some cans of beer I found in the toolbox of a truck Dad sold when I cleaned it out. He had left a 30 pack in there at some point before they started putting born on dates, I figured they had been hot and cold for several years in there. I also took some 28oz Gatorade bottles full of water for longer distances and laid those on their side to shoot. I'd been transitioning from using my bolt guns the majority of the time calling to using the DPMS Prairie Panther I bought and needed the practice on the AR. I went shooting on a day with a 10-15mph crosswind. I found I could reliably hit the cans out to 120yds quickly with the shooting sticks. That's sitting on my butt, spinning toward a can and lining up on it fast, not taking my time waiting for the wind to lay down and everything to be perfect. I could do the same with the Rapid Pivot bipod faster out to 180yds. Past that I had trouble getting the side to side wobble controlled enough to keep the bullet within the width of a beer can without going prone over my pack. The Gatorade bottles I could shoot out to 250 from the Rapid Pivot with no trouble. That's about as far as I like to reach with my AR, if I think I might need to shoot further I want the bolt guns pushing a bigger bullet faster, I don't want to educate coyotes by missing them. My 55gr V max is going 2964fps from the AR.

The Rapid Pivot being attached to the gun seems to let me take the normal calling shots I try for from 75 to 150yds quickly and accurately. I do carry regular sticks too at times, especially when I will be calling all day and wanting to call some tight areas mid day. I don't usually carry a shotgun unless it's a situation where I know a rifle won't work. When using the rifle mid day in those tight spots I want the sticks that will just fall out of the way if I need to take a quick shot offhand. The bipod detaches pretty darn fast for that, but not as fast as sticks and it makes a small noise.

I mounted a FoxGrip II to my Rapid Pivot bipod that I use. Having it there lets me have a couple pre-sets I can reach while staying on the gun. If I see a coyote coming in I can go to a quiet mouse squeak with the top button or a kiyi with the bottom one. Having it on the bipod lets me use it with whatever gun I have at the time.

Anyway that's my system after trying a lot of them. I have Harris bipods, Bogpods, other sticks, lots of options I've tried over the years for big game and predators. I will miss now that I brag, but I have went 9 for 9 over November and December on coyotes with the AR and Rapid Pivot. Shots have been from 70 to 200yds with an average of about 120yds. I got 4 off one stand with it in November, the first time I have done that. They came in as 2 pairs about 10 minutes apart.

Back