big problem for grandson

I handload for some of my friends kiddos and they all use the New England handi rifles in 223 and I load the 55 grain Sierra gameking hp and one of the girls killed two does last year on at 100 yds and the other at 125 and dropped one and the other ran 50 yards. Saw my brother drop a big doe at over 100 yards with his AR using the federal premium 55 grain sierra HPs.. Said all of that to say this...we have pretty good luck with them.. also ahd good luck with 64 grain Power points.. My niece killed her first deer last year (at the age of 6 ) with a handi-rifle in 243 using 85 gt sierra hps (loaded as slow as I could) and they worked great also.. My job used to take me in contact with lets say some of the less sporting people (poachers) in eastern Oklahoma and you would be amazed at what they kill deer with...everything from 17 hmr's to 223's with 40 grain v-maxs..... I wouldn't hesitate to let your grandson hunt with a 223 loaded with good bullets. I like Ragins idea with the magazine..we did the same thing with my niece and she drilled it right behind the front shoulder...

what twist do you have in your 223.if it has 1-8.blackhills has some 70gr pills that will slap put the deer down.i shot all 8 of my does last year with them.most of them where drt.few ran 30-40 yards.i shot a bunch of pigs with this same bullet with the same results.

the 223 is a mini 14 (oh I can hear the gasp for air and the people thinking wow and it shoots better than the rossi) however this mini has been worked on with an after market douglas barrel and a few more modifacation. picked it up from a gunsmith who did the work. Some one bought a brand new mini brought it to the gunsmith had the work done, shot two boxes of ammo thru it and didnt like the way it ejected the cases so far and hard in fact he broke a window with the empties flying out. so he traded it and I picked it up from the gunsmith for $575.00. it is a tack driver and it has a 1.5x4.5 firefly bushnell on it. however it has a 1 in 12 twist so it only likes the lighter bullets. the 55 grain federal soft points did very well in it and thats what we will be using. we took a deer target with us to the range and i put a peice of tape in the center of the kill zone so he would have a poa. I shot it first and put one in the middle of the 1 inch tape we went to the target and the kid thought I was the best shot in the world, I thought I was lucky as he11. then we taped over the hole and he shot, the first one was thru the same hole in the middle of the tape. If we hadn't taped over that hole i would have thought he missed the target completly. He yells fire in the hole before pulling the trigger and to hear him go fire in the hole, bang fire in the hole, bang fire in the hole, bang 5 times and pretty darn fast almost makes me LOL. I tell him to slow down but the shots are all right where they need to be.
Thanks to everyone for all the imput.
Sportingly
Cracker

Quote:
O.K. after talking to the new hunter we have picked the 223. heres the reasons why, #1 and I think this is the most important he feels he shoots it much better. # 2 he likes the littler kick it has. #3 which is maybe a reason not to let him use it is he likes the fact its a simi auto and can get a second shot off with it. he likes the idea of the 243 having more knock down but doesn't like the fact its not as accurate so I will let him use the 223 as he is more confident with it. anyone want to buy a rossi cheap.
Cracker

How much are you asking for the Rossi?

Rtlof(TONY)

Your 1 in 12 should stabalize the 60 gr partition fine and probably the Win.64gr power point also.My Cz american 223 will shoot the 64's into an inch at 100yds.Its also 1-12 twist,It shoots lighter bullets better but as far as Im concerned an inch at 100 for deer is better than most of the deer rifle cal,s Ive owned.
Bob.

Rossi, I was thinking about buying one for my son. Do you think it was a fluke or are they are all the BAD?

It is a great idea.....

How many people have a Rossi?

ALSO, we have shot a lot of deer with .223 for meat for the freezer for crop damage and it will do a number on deer. I would not be afraid to use that caliper......the military knows it is a great caliper, but they use full metal jackets and the bullets tumble and tear the h--- out of the target.

Good luck.

Quote:
didnt like the way it ejected the cases so far and hard in fact he broke a window with the empties flying out.

A reduced diameter gas bushing will tame that, if it's a concern. PM me if you want a link to a gunsmith that builds them. It's a 30 minute job to replace it.

Great idea RagnCajn! Never thought about that. I have a 10 year old daughter that has been working with her TC Contender Carbine in 223 with 60gr Partitions for deer season. Shoots great with it. She will definately be doing the Magazine drill the next few weeks. Almost tried the Rossi route but ended up selling a gun I didn't use much to fund the Contender. I figured getting my kids started right was worth the trade. It is a quality piece for only a little more and sized about perfect for youth. I am very happy with it.

My buddy uses hornady 55 gr SPSXs that I load for him he swears by them,he has a deer ranch & sells hunts lets kids use 223 and loves it.It is a lite load 25.5 varget 55 spsx.

Back