Big game rifle

I made that choice a couple years ago. I had a lot of memories on a lot of rifles, but none were really “mine” in the sense of stacking a lot of experiences onto one rifle. So I bought a Ruger Hawkeye 300wm, new barrel, new stock, new trigger, and a LOT of money later... matched pair for my wife and I. Hers is 7RM, mine is 300wm. Hers has two spare barrels in 416 Ruger and 338wm, mine has a spare in .458wm.

So for US, we picked 7RM and 300WM...

Have been using the '06 for decades since I was 13 for taking game.
I have owned and used all those others, .243 ,.6mm ,.264 ,.270 ,.280 ,7mm M ,.308 ,.300 wm.
Of those I really like the .300 wm which is a grownup '06 and keep returning to the .30-06 for it's flexibility and reliability down to kill power and buying ammo anywhere.
Having a .30-06 is to me like keeping a .223 around.
I have watched comparisons with the 7 mag for decades around the world.

Uncle Sam "gave" me my first 30-06 in the early '50's and it was love at first sight. Have never, will never be without one or 4 since that first one. At one time there were 8 in the safe.

No idea of the number of deer, nilgai and whatever else I have collected with 165gr NP's. Having said that, my favorite all around rifle is a .338 WM w/210 NP's. It'll do everything the venerable 30-06 will do and just a little bit more.

Regards,
hm

If I were to pick one now, I believe it would be the 300WSM because it has the same performance level as the 300H&H that I think is the perfect 30 caliber cartridge.

Since I couldn't decide I just looked around for the best deal on a rifle I'd like in any of the calibers suggested. Ended up getting a Sako in 30-06.

If I ever feel under gunned I'll grab a bigger gun to compliment it. More guns isn't a bad thing,

I appreciate everyone's suggestions

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redleg84Since I couldn't decide I just looked around for the best deal on a rifle I'd like in any of the calibers suggested. Ended up getting a Sako in 30-06.

Then you did well for yourself. Good going.

My largest caliber now is a .25-06 but I no longer big game hunt. If I did go after elk or moose though and wanted something good for those as well as deer and antelope then I would be just fine with a thirty ought.

A Sako is a nice choice and it is very hard to go wrong with the .30-06 cal.
Did you get Syn, wood or carbon stock ?
The factory trigger is nice and the 3 function safety is a usable feature. Mags can be spendy but do go on sale sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84Since I couldn't decide I just looked around for the best deal on a rifle I'd like in any of the calibers suggested. Ended up getting a Sako in 30-06.

If I ever feel under gunned I'll grab a bigger gun to compliment it. More guns isn't a bad thing,

I appreciate everyone's suggestions
Redleg,
Your choice of 30-06 and Sako is a great choice. The ought-six is my favorite for its versatility. In my other post, I was jokingly stating some fool was going to come in and claim the 6.5 Creedmoor could do what the 30-06 does!
Wow! Just looked at your rifle link. Beautiful and heck of a good deal. A rifle that will last for many generations.

Last edited:

Nice rifle, You can not go wrong.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84 Link to rifle

That's a link to it, it's in a wooden stock.

Ya dun gud........
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Redleg84 Link to rifle

That's a link to it, it's in a wooden stock.

The 75's have a nice wood stock design and the mag's don't have the safety release like an 85.

That should be a great rifle. Nothing wrong with the 30-06, even more versatile if you reload. Living in Maine I would think deer and black bear would be the most hunted. Even going out west, the 30-06 is just fine. One can adjust with premium bullets if need for unique situations.

I have a minty Sako 75 in 243, since I’m awash in rifles I’ve never shot it. Then there’s the mint Forester from 1966, unshot by me.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43If I were to pick one now, I believe it would be the 300WSM because it has the same performance level as the 300H&H that I think is the perfect 30 caliber cartridge.

I own a 300wsm and I like the caliber, however, a 300 win mag it is not, and a 300 h&h is no better than a 300 win mag. But, a 300 win mag is a much better case than an h&h.
300wsm with 150's and 165's is a pretty good round, but load up the 180's and heavier and the advantage goes to the larger cases.

There really is no "better" from caliber to caliber when you're looking at a specific range. Each in a group wI'll do the same as the next and 99% of the time the 'better' caliber is whatever your dad carried. There's only adequate and not.

Since op didn't list a purpose and the calibers are similar, coin toss.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84If you guys could have one big game rifle for north American game what caliber would you choose?

Without a doubt - 375 H&H...

The 375 H&H is superbly accurate, and set up properly, very mild on recoil! Buy that also depends on several factors like load, bullet weight, gun weight, stock design, etc...

I just got back from a work trip that consumed the last month of my life.

I appreciate everyone's input provided. Since it seemed to be a toss up with calibers I just looked around for a good deal on a rifle instead. Ultimately ended up with Sako 75 hunter in 30-06 and topped it off with a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 w/ Illuminated firedot reticle. If the day comes that I need more gun I'll just go bigger then.

Loaded up some 180gr accubond that I'm hoping to shoot soon.

JERAKl.jpg

That rifle will serve you well in North American for just about anything you might want to hunt.

Some would say it's too light for a big Brownie, but a lot of them have fallen to the old '06 loaded like you're doing with the 180 Accubonds. Nice set up.

Back