Better of the cheaper scopes?

DrunkGoose

I started a thread about Leapers scopes recently only to recieve quite a bit of negative feedback on them.... so here is my question: Is there such thing as a decent, yet inexpensive scope? I'm not looking to make extremely long shots (maybe ~300yds, but that would be the longest). Having so many hobbies at this point in my life, I can't really afford much for optics these days. Predator hunting is all I use a rifle for, the rest is shotgun only.

What I am ideally looking for is a decent scope in the 3-9x category that will hold it's zero for at least the season. I can understand resetting the zero every once and a while to save some money. I would like to stay under $200 as well. It is going on a Remington 700 SPS-Varmint in .223.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS- I really don't know that much about optics. Like I said before, my interests have mostly been in shotgunning type sports (waterfowl, upland, etc...). That being said, simple talk and descriptions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I got 2 Nikon Buckmasters 3-9X for under $200 by watching the "specials" on the optics dealers. I scored those at The Optic Zone (one of our sponsers here). If you're patient, you might find a clearance like that.

Here's a link, it's kind of weird to find your way in from the side bar:

The Optic Zone clearance

(multiple pages, look at bottom to navigate)

Last edited:
I'd recommend any of the following -

Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 $200, Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 $150, Burris Fulfield II 3-9x40 $170, Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 $185.

you can get a nice 3-9 for $200.00. Read as much as you can and try and find the scope that fits your needs best.

Myself I like Nikon Primos at $199.00 if you can live with the BDC.

.223 doesn't have much recoil , just about anything should hold up . optical clarity is another issue . I have Bushnell 4-12 sportsman series and an older sportview , Leapers Accushot , Tasco 4-16 and 6-24 , Centerpoint 4-16 . They are all holding up so far, some are on .30 rifles . Most people will recomend , the Nikon, Leupold etc. , mostly because you can't go wrong with them , however you won't get much magnification for under $200 in these brands . Prices on scopes usually go in line with clarity (glass quality ,coatings) and of course where they are made . Some of the cheaper scopes may not track correctly so if you like cranking on the turrets 4 clicks may not = 1". Higher price usually means better scope but I'm more than happy with the scopes I have , most cost me less than $100

Originally Posted By: dsrtr8tLeupold Rifleman Around $200 If it ever breaks, they will fix it without hassle of receipt, etc.

Yep!!
thumbup1.gif

I have a Tasco 4x16x on my 223 and has held zero for 10+ years wih lots of rounds fired. For around $100 You can't go wrong, I'm going to put one on my 270 since my bushnell took a dump during deer season.

Originally Posted By: dsrtr8tLeupold Rifleman Around $200 If it ever breaks, they will fix it without hassle of receipt, etc.

Are you sure? for some reason I thought that the Rifleman didnt care the same warranty as the VX line up.

Originally Posted By: PrairieShadowOriginally Posted By: dsrtr8tLeupold Rifleman Around $200 If it ever breaks, they will fix it without hassle of receipt, etc.

Are you sure? for some reason I thought that the Rifleman didnt care the same warranty as the VX line up.

Prairieshadow is right..

Rifleman 2-7x33mm Riflescope
The Rifleman® delivers famous Leupold® ruggedness, waterproof integrity, and our Golden Ring® Full Lifetime Guarantee in a scope any hunter can afford.

-Juanjo

Well... I kept saying "whats 20 more dollars" over and over again.... That is until I decided on a 4-12x40 Leupold VX-1... I got it for $250 though, I can't complain.

Back