best way to camouflage gun from glaring

I'm with Rich. If your in the shade it doesn't matter. Camo is WAY overrated! Only a glare from the sun will hurt your chance.

McNett camo wrap is nearly $13. a roll around here. I use plain old vet wrap as I buy it 24 rolls at a time to wrap my dogs feet during bird season, it cost about a $1. a roll.

This combo gun has a high polish finish on the barrels and I do a lot of close in calling, I feel it helps. I don't alwys get to sit in the shade.

Last edited:
You're on the right track, Mountain Luke.

IF you want to limit your stands to the shade (and you should when you can) then camo or non-glare finishes aren't necessary. But, there are times when the shade set-up just won't work. McNett's, vet wrap and Krylon are all effective but the best finish for coyotes is either hydro-dipping or Cerakote IMO. Both protect from rust and both are non-glare. Both are permanent though. (You may want to change out your stock to an aftermarket synthetic first.) Get something in a shade that works for your area. I just had a shotgun redipped from a dark forest pattern to the new Kryptek Highlander for the desert. Especially at shotgun ranges, coyotes almost have radar. Anything you can do to blend into your surroundings helps. Can you kill coyotes without it? Sure.

Good luck with your new endeavor. Your bowhunting background will serve you well.

tt

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: mountain lukeMutt and Dan can I wrap the barrel from end of barrel to over the stock all the way to the action or will that cause permanent damage to rifle some how. I am not very savy with guns.

No damage, but it may change how the rifle shoots. Don't wrap it to tight over the barrel/stock area. Make sure you shoot you rifle after.
Good call Tim. I forgot to mention that. It made no difference at all on a heavy barreled Savage 22-250. But it did shift the POI on my Remmy 788 (wood stock, skinny barrel), dropped it about 3/4in @ 100. Vet wrap doesn't need to be tight to work. I wrap the barrel tight and loosen up as I come over the fore-end of the stock to the action. As Tim said, don't worry about the vet wrap damaging anything. I've left it on a rifle for over a year (not on purpose, and I wouldn't really recommend doing it) and it came off totally clean, zero residue. I still pull it off if the rifle gets really wet, but I think it's more the years of rifle care pounded into me by the old man, than actual rust prevention.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSMcNett camo wrap is nearly $13. a roll around here. I use plain old vet wrap as I buy it 24 rolls at a time to wrap my dogs feet during bird season, it cost about a $1. a roll.

This combo gun has a high polish finish on the barrels and I do a lot of close in calling, I feel it helps. I don't alwys get to sit in the shade.

Please tell me you got that yote out of the duck boat! Cause if you did... I want in too! Looks like I need to buy wrap by the case, $1/roll is a great deal.

Back