*Best shot size for crowS*

I use # 8 almost all the time with imp mod or skeet # 2 choke over the caller. Very few get away when in range .

On longer shots the 7 1/2 trap loads I used to use would only break the near side wing. They'd go down, but mad, and would run when they hit the ground. High-base 6's out of a modified choke would clobber dead anything I thought was in range to shoot at, including up through leafless tree branches.
At closer ranges the 7 1/2 would do fine (when coming to the call and going overhead not too high). On higher or farther pass-shooting kind of shots I preferred the 6's.

Hi Guys, I use my 223 to shoot them, It get expensive for me to use shotgun. I do my set up next to some bare trees and get them to land on limb. You have about 5 sec to shoot. Shooting crows is one of my favorite hunts.

Mike

Hi late winter i like using a turkey choke like the undertaker 12ga with 7 1/2 or 8's i have a Benelli Super 90 12ga 21 inch barrel with a magazine extension for crow hunting VM

Krustyklimber, You don't have to pay to get into the forum just register like you did here. I got in and didn't pay anything, lots of info over there on busting crows. Jeff Erwin

Some of the best and cheapest loads are the Remington premium target or trap loads in 7 shot or smaller. Only about $5 a box.

When calling crows I use a 12 gauge, either my
remington 870 or my mossberg 835, with a modified
choke. Although there is several options when it
comes to shells I prefer nitro 27's 7 1/2 shot.
Federal 6 shot also works well for me. For long
range or picking crows off I use my 17hmr or
the 204 ruger. Went this weekend and only got 1
crow, hopefully this weekend is better!

I use handloads. We kill + - 500 every year.
Rem STS Shells
34 grains hogedon longshot
rem sp12 wad
1.25 oz diamond hard lead shot
winchester 209 primers

I can kill crows out to 50 yards with this combondation. Oh ya and I use a superX2 12ga. COMP-N-CHOKE full .

Just my .02

Shot 10 Sat. with #6 nickel plated. Using Mod choke in my 390. I shoot up through the trees and brush alot though and like the little better and larger shot when I am in the thicket. Good Luck.

Back